• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question... "Value" of Original Owner CS?

miller511

Hey all,

What dollar value (or additional percent more) would you put (be willing to pay) for an "Original Owner" CS...assuming that it's not a basket case car.

-Jeff

Mosesatm

No hidden digs intended.

It just depends on how the owner treated the car. Some original owners only fix things when they break instead of actually keeping ahead of problems. Some bought the cars when they were 19 and drove them that way, then each his or her 6 children drove the car that way. Kid #2 might have lost it at 85 on a gravel road and rolled it, then "fixed" the damage in auto shop. Original owners can lie about past sins just as easily as any owner.

I wouldn't add any value to an original-owner car unless I knew the owner or could quickly figure out how the car might have been treated. For example, if the owner cared enough about the car to keep all the maintenance records I'd add 10% or so if I was going to do a rolling restoration on it. If I was going to strip it all down and start over I wouldn't add any value because everything would be replaced anyway so it woudln't matter how the car was treated.

The car I just bought was almost an O.O. car. The woman I bought it from had owned it since 1971 and the car looked and smelled like it. It's the blue (I did not say that! I meant "aqua"!!) car in my gallery. She lied about a few things, but that's ok because I expected her to.

68gt390

twoclassics said:
oh no, we are not going to do original owner values

Well said Chuck. I buy/purchase a car based on what I see and what I find at time of inspection. To me, original owner or 10th owner doesn't enter into it. Also, any of your value guides out on the market as far as I know don't even consider this as an additional addage to the price of any car. To me it's like saying OK, I'll sell the car but, I'm adding 10% for sentimental value.

Don

390cs68rcode

so after looking at a pretty original CS with a 80 year old woman saying she only drove it 35k miles since new would not help the value a little? It would for me 5-10%

case12

To put it a different way. For the exact same car, in the exact same condition, I would pay 10% more for original owner - the provenance is worth something to me. I may even pay 15% more if the original documentation is with it. Casey

joedls

jbsteven said:
so after looking at a pretty original CS with a 80 year old woman saying she only drove it 35k miles since new would not help the value a little? It would for me 5-10%

The cynic in me would kick in, I'd think she was lying and that the odometer had rolled over. So, I would just rely on my limited knowledge to value the car. Probably not the smartest thing, but it's how I've operated until now.

Perkchiro

Interesting subject. I was just talking to my wife about the fact that I wished I could find the original or past owners of my car. There are many odd things I/ve discovered on my car as I've torn down and rebuilt. I would love to have that information. Not that it makes it more valuable, but knowing the history would be great. Yeah, I probably would pay an extra 10 to 15% to know about it's past. I would be worth it to me.
Steve

390cs68rcode

my plain jane 68 coupe came with it seems like every little thing that has been done to the car. The underside of the car is still red from the original paint. car was barely driven in the rain as can be seen from the underside. I have crawled all over that car and am still amazed at how clean it is. I was told the owners said it has never sat outside overnight. This is the car that is on the current John's Mustang catalog. I have a 2 inch thick binder with all the repair receipts and even the original work order to order the car. VERY cool stuff to me. Here is a shot of the untouched underside. Would you pay a premium for this car?

1968a.jpg

1968b.jpg

joedls

jbsteven said:
my plain jane 68 coupe came with it seems like every little thing that has been done to the car. The underside of the car is still red from the original paint. car was barely driven in the rain as can be seen from the underside. I have crawled all over that car and am still amazed at how clean it is. I was told the owners said it has never sat outside overnight. This is the car that is on the current John's Mustang catalog. I have a 2 inch thick binder with all the repair receipts and even the original work order to order the car. VERY cool stuff to me. Here is a shot of the untouched underside. Would you pay a premium for this car?

Sure, but my decision would not be based on the fact that it was the original owner. It would be based on my own inspection and the documentation.

twoclassics

Yes I would pay a premium for a clean dry car with a underside car like yours, but only for the conditiuon not because of how many owners, by the way firing up the 390 this weekend, everything done plus tranny rebuild, setting the dist. saturday, will have a cold 12 pack of bud light standing by and here we go, does not take much to keep a 12 pack cold here in nebraska these days wish me luck Chuck

68sunlitgold

Jason,
that is one great looking underside, since I lived in MN when I bought my coupe I had it undercoated (car came from TX) so it would last longer during the salted road winter travels. I am thinking about stripping it off this winter and hope to find the nice red oxide.

Doug

68gt390

twoclassics said:
Yes I would pay a premium for a clean dry car with a underside car like yours, but only for the conditiuon not because of how many owners, by the way firing up the 390 this weekend, everything done plus tranny rebuild, setting the dist. saturday, will have a cold 12 pack of bud light standing by and here we go, does not take much to keep a 12 pack cold here in nebraska these days wish me luck Chuck

Chuck; Let me know how it goes. I will be starting on the CJ motor for mine Saturday. Should have the valves in Saturday for the heads, crank goes to the machine shop Monday. Hope to have it done by mid Feb.

Now, back to the question at hand. Call me old fashion what ever but, as I stated earlier, to me it's based on what I see and what I find when I inspect the car. No more, no less.

As far as undercarriage and so forth, my GT Coupe still has all the original sheet metal and factory paint, along with the overspray on the undercarriage as well. The person I bought it from wanted to play a game of cat and mouse with me on the price based on these items. I simply made them an offer based on what I saw when I inspected and drove the car. Same as with my CS. They want to add to the price because of being a 1 owner car or what ever, I can go out the same way I came in. That's just the way I look at it. If folks want to add or pay extra for that type of stuff that's their option to do so. It's the same if I sell my cars, I expect to get a fair price based on what the buyer see's. If they are knowledgeable of what they are looking at they will know what's original and what's not.

Don

68sunlitgold

For me I would pay more for a car with all the documentation even if was not the original owner.

Doug