• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Racing in Fontana August 11th Results!!!!!!!!

case12

Holy Crap! You were fast off the line - amazing. What the heck was that little car next to you? You made that thing look like it was standing still! Congrats!

I want to have my 289 rebuilt this winter and add some power (we do winter projects here in the cold north). Looks like I need some tips from you.

Casey

Midnight Special

Holy Crap! You were fast off the line - amazing. What the heck was that little car next to you? You made that thing look like it was standing still! Congrats!

I want to have my 289 rebuilt this winter and add some power (we do winter projects here in the cold north). Looks like I need some tips from you.

Casey

...I went back & read most of David's posts re; what it took to accomplish that.
Incredible example of planning, expense, trial & conquest and steadfast determination!

Congratulations again David!!

So, are you the quickest (street legal) '68 GT/CS in history?

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

...I went back & read most of David's posts re; what it took to accomplish that.
Incredible example of planning, expense, trial & conquest and steadfast determination!

Congratulations again David!!

So, are you the quickest (street legal) '68 GT/CS in history?

Cool picture Tim!

ya Casey...the process of building this small block ford up to approx 500hp helped me learn from my mistakes for the first 347 motor we had built, when we were running 14 seconds and making 250RWHP...

biggest tip i can give you...Air Flow Research Heads with upgraded spring package, titanium retainers...had the heads milled .012 to drop the combustion chamber volume from 58cc to 56cc for a little more compression (however having such a small combustion chamber on a 289 will give you really high compression...you should really calculate your compression ratio yourself by taking into account the deck height clearance, compressed head gasket thickness, valve relief in the piston, and of course the cc's of the combustion chamber and the displacement volume (borexstroke)...

another good tip is to not be afraid to put in a pretty big cam...the first cam we put in our first 347 was just not big enough and it contributed to the detonation...also go with hydraulic roller...instead of hydraulic flat tappet...

more good advice is to go with forged pistons (spend the extra money)..do not go with hypereutectic pistons!

there is a LOT a LOT a LOT of info about my car...in the old gallery on page 5...

anytime feel free to ask...i will give an honest answer based on my experience and i wont bullshit when i dont know

AS far as fastest street legal CS mustang....like i said...i heard LouieG is fast...but i dont know how fast...i would definitely like to know first hand in a drag race :)

im glad that everyone liked the video! the little car next to me was an import of some type that ran in the 17s

Just in case you guys are wondering how fast an 11.989 second car is...

im an engineering major at Cal State Northridge and i took a class called Numerical Analysis and im pretty good with microsoft excel, my calculator, and Calculus...here is a picture of my calculation of my 0 to 60mph time

i hit 60mph (88ft/s) in 3.486 seconds....it took me about 190.5 ft to hit 60mph

I use microsoft excel to generate a model of the drag race, using the 6 data points that the race track gives me
Time-----Distance
0--------0
1.687-----60'
4.907----330'
7.612----660' (1/8mile)
9.976----1000'
11.989---1320'(1/4mile)

excel allows you to pick a 5th degree polynomial to fit the curves with a smooth line...and it generates the function on the graph...the function it gives you is your position in the race at any time (remember its not perfect, its a model)
here is where the calculus comes in...

you take the derivative of your position with respect to time and that will give you a 4th degree polynomial that is a function representing your velocity (speed) at any time of the race (in feet/second)....then, to find out how fast you did 0 to 60mph..you set the equation equal to 88ft/s (60mph) and solve for the roots of the equation....there will be 4 roots, but 3 of them are imaginary and there is only one real root that makes sense and fits the data..that root...for this race was 3.486 or 0 to 60mph in 3.486 seconds...then you plug that time into your position equation to find out how far down the track you were when you hit 60mph...which it gives as 190.4737ft

Attachments

• IMG_4088 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4088 (Custom).JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4090 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4090 (Custom).JPG
    73 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4091 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4091 (Custom).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 21
P

PNewitt

David--

We owe you a HUGE thanks for representing our marque out there on the track!

There is no doubt, that your stock rear spoiler is working! Anything over 90mph will pull major air pressure off the rear deck!

Very, very cool accomplishments!
Congratulations!

Paul N.

Mustanger

Cool picture Tim!

ya Casey...the process of building this small block ford up to approx 500hp helped me learn from my mistakes for the first 347 motor we had built, when we were running 14 seconds and making 250RWHP...

biggest tip i can give you...Air Flow Research Heads with upgraded spring package, titanium retainers...had the heads milled .012 to drop the combustion chamber volume from 58cc to 56cc for a little more compression (however having such a small combustion chamber on a 289 will give you really high compression...you should really calculate your compression ratio yourself by taking into account the deck height clearance, compressed head gasket thickness, valve relief in the piston, and of course the cc's of the combustion chamber and the displacement volume (borexstroke)...

another good tip is to not be afraid to put in a pretty big cam...the first cam we put in our first 347 was just not big enough and it contributed to the detonation...also go with hydraulic roller...instead of hydraulic flat tappet...

more good advice is to go with forged pistons (spend the extra money)..do not go with hypereutectic pistons!

there is a LOT a LOT a LOT of info about my car...in the old gallery on page 5...

anytime feel free to ask...i will give an honest answer based on my experience and i wont bullshit when i dont know

AS far as fastest street legal CS mustang....like i said...i heard LouieG is fast...but i dont know how fast...i would definitely like to know first hand in a drag race :)

im glad that everyone liked the video! the little car next to me was an import of some type that ran in the 17s

Just in case you guys are wondering how fast an 11.989 second car is...

im an engineering major at Cal State Northridge and i took a class called Numerical Analysis and im pretty good with microsoft excel, my calculator, and Calculus...here is a picture of my calculation of my 0 to 60mph time

i hit 60mph (88ft/s) in 3.486 seconds....it took me about 190.5 ft to hit 60mph

I use microsoft excel to generate a model of the drag race, using the 6 data points that the race track gives me
Time-----Distance
0--------0
1.687-----60'
4.907----330'
7.612----660' (1/8mile)
9.976----1000'
11.989---1320'(1/4mile)

excel allows you to pick a 5th degree polynomial to fit the curves with a smooth line...and it generates the function on the graph...the function it gives you is your position in the race at any time (remember its not perfect, its a model)
here is where the calculus comes in...

you take the derivative of your position with respect to time and that will give you a 4th degree polynomial that is a function representing your velocity (speed) at any time of the race (in feet/second)....then, to find out how fast you did 0 to 60mph..you set the equation equal to 88ft/s (60mph) and solve for the roots of the equation....there will be 4 roots, but 3 of them are imaginary and there is only one real root that makes sense and fits the data..that root...for this race was 3.486 or 0 to 60mph in 3.486 seconds...then you plug that time into your position equation to find out how far down the track you were when you hit 60mph...which it gives as 190.4737ft

David,

That's some cool stuff you're posting ... just for grins, maybe you should go one step further and take the derivative of the velocity to give you an equation for acceleration (a = dv/dt), and just plug in a few values for "t" and see what it gives you ... yes, I'm an engineer also ...

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

i've done that before...it basically tells you that your maximum acceleration is the instant you slam the gas pedal..and it falls off from there...but what the hell...here are the calculations:

So i plugged in some numbers....

in 1 thousandth of a second my acceleration is 28.4031ft/s^2 which converts to 8.6573m/s^2 which (based on 9.8m/s^2=1g force) is 0.8834g's

mustanger...please check my math haha

Attachments

• IMG_4092 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4092 (Custom).JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Mustanger

i've done that before...it basically tells you that your maximum acceleration is the instant you slam the gas pedal..and it falls off from there...but what the hell...here are the calculations:

in 1 thousandth of a second my acceleration is 28.4031ft/s^2 which converts to 8.6573m/s^2 which (based on 9.8m/s^2=1g force) is 0.8834g's

I did the math on my own earlier:

v = dx/dt = -0.0025t^4 + 0.1216t^3 - 2.4345t^2 + 28.408t + 13.772 ft/s

a = dv/dt = -0.01t^3 + 0.3648t^2 – 4.869t + 28.408 ft/s^2

... and it matches what you have :)

Later, I plugged in the first value for "t" that you selected and essentially got the same results ... at first I used g = 9.81m/s^2, and I also carried a few more digits in my calculations, but when I rounded off some the answers and used 9.8, then I got exactly the same answers ...

... you're right about max acceleration ... if you let "t" go to "0", then that's when you achieve max a(t) ...

Last edited:

Midnight Special

...Seems that no matter how well you prepare or how fast you go...
Someone somewhere somehow will be quicker......
;-))

Attachments

• Falcon.jpg
    Falcon.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 28

Midnight Special

very true...

why is that car taking a plunge off an aircraft carrier? haha

Yes, I believe it's a '64 Falcon temporarily powered by high-pressure steam!
That's a form of water-injection that doesn't cause detonation (except on impact) and won't blow out your spark plugs. I was wondering if Joe could use something like that?... ;-)

joedls

Yes, I believe it's a '64 Falcon temporarily powered by high-pressure steam!
That's a form of water-injection that doesn't cause detonation (except on impact) and won't blow out your spark plugs. I was wondering if Joe could use something like that?... ;-)

I think I figured out my water/methanol injection problem today. It'll take a few days to get what I need to fix it, but then I have to find someone to tune it.

Mustanger

I think I figured out my water/methanol injection problem today. It'll take a few days to get what I need to fix it, but then I have to find someone to tune it.

Joe,

If you're still looking for a good and reputable speed shop, and don't mind driving to San Dimas, then I highly recommend Performance Associates ... these guys are "top notch" and can really make you "hook up" ... let me know if you're interested, I'll let 'em know you're coming ...

joedls

Joe,

If you're still looking for a good and reputable speed shop, and don't mind driving to San Dimas, then I highly recommend Performance Associates ... these guys are "top notch" and can really make you "hook up" ... let me know if you're interested, I'll let 'em know you're coming ...

Do they have a chassis dyno? Do they have experience with water/methanol injection?

Mustanger

Do they have a chassis dyno? Do they have experience with water/methanol injection?

They have a dyno, and I don't know about the water/methanol injection experience ... I do know that they have experience with blowers ... they not only do custom cars, but also some race cars ...

Mustanger

... Joe, I just called them up and the answer is,"YES" they do work on water/methanol injection.

If you're interested, I can put you in touch with them if you would like ...

Diesel Donna

Joe,
I work "right next door" to San Dimas.....can help you out if you need to drop the car off and need a ride back home.

joedls

Thanks Ruben!! I'd really like the contact info so I can set something up. I wouldn't be dropping it off, Donna. I'll be there every step of the way.

Mustanger

Thanks Ruben!! I'd really like the contact info so I can set something up. I wouldn't be dropping it off, Donna. I'll be there every step of the way.

I spoke to their Service Manager about your situation and she said that Randy (the owner, son of Les Ritchey, famous AFX drag racer) has worked on these kind of setups before ... give them a call and tell them I sent you:

909-592-4441

They're just off the 57 fwy and Arrow Hwy exit ... ( http://23432523.usdirectory.com/default.htm?wr=1&afid=1517&tbid=1&gclid=CJT-iIO9h44CFSZhIgoddRVVPw )

Good Luck!!! ...

joedls