• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear windows will not roll all of the way down?

murf104

Is there a reason that the rear windows will not roll down all of the way? Neither side will "go down" and I had just put that on my mental list of things to do when winter arrived. Now my buddy who has an HCS happened to mention that neither of his windows will roll all of the way down either. I have seen many photos of 68 Mustangs with all of the windows ALL of the way down, so is there something unique about the CS and HCS cars that prevents this from happening. Seems the only possible reason would be the fake air scoop on the side of the car. and since it is fake it seems there would be no reason to limit the window travel. This has started to keep me awake at night. Anyone have the answer to this mystery, or is something broken?

Midnight Special

...There is no difference between the CS, HCS and standard coupe rear window regulators or their range of operation. They are fragile however, and should be pulled up or pushed down (lightly) when cranking to avoid stripping the gear...

franklinair

There are two tracks in which the window rollers move up and/or down. remove the quarter trim panel (s) so you can see them to verify if the rollers have free movement. It is common for these plastic rollers to crack & break causing the window movement to 'hang-up'. Also while you have the rollers & tracks exposed, lube them generously. I dab grease in the tracks, and use LPS-2 on the rollers. The rollers are not expensive to replace. If ANY doubt, replace them all.

Neil

robert campbell

Tim and Neil are right on!! They go all the way down and in most cases are thirsty for lube. I would remove the handles and take out the rear panels and lube like no tomorrow!

Rob

franklinair

I just went thru this on the '68 convert I'm doing. One of the rollers was broken, and another had come off the stud they're mounted to (they are held on by an inside spring clip), preventing the rear window from operating. It's awkward to get to them inside the body framework, but do-able. Good luck- just be patient.

Neil

mmarsalone

The rollers are usually pretty easy to replace. It's easiest if you put the new roller in the track with the spring clip in place already on the roller. Then line up pin from the arm and snap it into the roller. Do not try and put the roller on the pin and try to fight and crank the roller into the track.

GTCS95616

The old grease on the window regulators can get hard as a rock and make the regulator stick or foul the rollers. I found that Simple Green does a great job of removing old grease. After removing the old grease, apply some new lube. Penetrating oils like WD-40 just tend to soften up the old grease so it will move more freely. The best way to deal with your problem is to clean out the old grease and apply new grease.

PFSlim

The rollers or bent arms could also be an issue. I would try to get them out, replace and lube the rollers, then examine the arms to see if they are bent or binding.

Paul

OP
OP
M

murf104

Thanks for all of the advice! I was putting in a headliner so the rear seat and inner 1/4 panel trim was already removed. When the headliner was completed it was time to check out the window problem. But never in my wildest dream would have guessed what the real problem was - someone had drilled a small hole in the stationary part of the window mechanism (the part with the tracks) and then stuck a bar in the little hole and tore/wallowed the hole bigger until they could get to the fastener for the side scoop. When the car was painted this must have happened. The sharp edges left from this awful trick was what kept the windows from going all of the way down. Had to take the entire mechanisms out to straighten the track assembly. What a bummer! So now it is a good time to replace the chrome surrounding the window and polish the stainless part of the window frame as well. A Mustang shop near here has the rear window chrome frames on an exchange basis so that is probably the path to follow. Getting something rechromed here takes forever, really about 6 weeks. So as the advertisement for 1968 Mustangs said, "expect the unexpected".

aemoo28

Ok so now I have a rear window that won't go UP. It gets stuck halfway, and I cannot roll it anymore & cannot pull it up with my hands.

What is in the way?!

franklinair

It's gotta be in the mechanism (roller, track). Something has become discombobulated.

Don't make me come out there!!

Neil

robert campbell

Amy,
In the near term try to have one person pull up on he window and gently rock it front back, WHILE a second person gently try's to roll it up. Sometimes this will free up the broken or misaligned roller. Sometimes if you move down a bit and then back up you can get the window to go up!!

The drive is to get it closed. Then we need to schedule another look. We need to pull the rear seats out, remove the window crank, sill plate and then pull the back interior panel to see what’s up. sometimes it is lube or a roller jumped out of a track. We should have some rollers on hand so we can fix it in one session. They are cheap.

May as well order in the brake pedal rod bushings and clip. Take care of it at the same time. And the power steering control valve??

Ron (clubpro) should be able to get all these items.

Let me know if you cannot get the window back up. Once up and you leave it alone, it is normally fine….. If not then we need to get on it soon.

Neil, want to fly out?? We are having a ball!! Except for the under dash crap….

Rob

Perkchiro

Just read this post and my sympathies go out to all you rear window roller upper problem people. I struggled for a year trying to make mine work. I straightened tracks and arms, lubricated and replaced rollers. Low and behold while at a car show, a thunderstorm rolled in......and when I rolled up the drivers side rear window.......kurplunk!! The dang window dislodged from the track. The rollers would "pop" off and I couldn't keep them on. Finally, enough!! I ordered replacement window regulators and reinstalled them on both windows. That has done the trick (so far, so good). That would be my suggestion if you can't solve it.......replace it!!

aemoo28

Don't make me come out there!!

Neil

Yes PLEASE come out here in July!!! BBQ at Rob's house. I'll bring Corona and enthusiasm, and that black car of mine. Car show on July 26th on his side of the water in Port Orchard. AND my Roundup BIG show July 19th.

And YES the crank made that very "ker-plunk" sound, Perk. Shoot. The whole stupid seat has to come out?

robert campbell

Amy,
Yes, rear seat needs to be removed to get the panel off to allow access to regulator and window tracks. Easy job for me.

Can you get he window up by doing what I said above?

Rob