• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Satan is a cool girl

Doug

Amy,
Steve (mechanical guy) and I kinda got off in timing and mechanics la la land. But boys will be boys and Steve is a treasure trove of knowledge!!! My wife calls it "hijacking" a thread. Anyway, later this month I would like to see Satan again to put the rest of the vacuum lines back on and fine tune her a bit more. This should take only a few minutes now that I have a better grasp of these "pollution" control distributors.

Not urgent as Satan should run just fine the way she is. But this may even smooth her out a bit more and I promise not turn her into a fire breathing monster again!

Weekend of the May 16th look good. We will talk more as we get closer or maybe hit a night after work when you are off.

Rob

I bet a 6-pack of beer that iyt takes longer then a few minutes. I base this on the the length of these threads. Just teasing and having some fun.

BTW I just drove from Seattle to Bellingham, WA Nice rain, accidents and traffic on the 5.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Doug,
Darn it, my wife figured that out long ago!! She takes what ever I say the time is and multiplies it by ten and then squares it my a factor of five...

The gig is up...

Rob,

But hopefully a bit faster than last Sunday!! Satan kept us busy!!

I bet a 6-pack of beer that iyt takes longer then a few minutes. I base this on the the length of these threads. Just teasing and having some fun.

BTW I just drove from Seattle to Bellingham, WA Nice rain, accidents and traffic on the 5.

Mosesatm

What the new Pertronix ll does is change the dwell angle. Most factory systems do this also. The dwell angle is the angle that the distributor shaft moves during which the points are open. This is when the coil field collapses and fires thru the cap and to the plugs. As rpm gets higher that angle stays about the same(or a little less) on a points system but that means the time for the coil field to collapse goes down and along with it voltage which can cause misfires. By increasing the angle it increases the amount of time the coil field has to collapse and thus gives you a stronger spark at higher rpm. Ford actually had this in its second iteration of electronic ignition modules back around mmmm ,,,, ? ahhhhh about 1980. So its not new but a pr thing mostly. It does not materially affect timing.

Hijacked again ,,,lol

Are you saying that the Pertronix doesn't materially affect timing or changing the point gap doesn't materially affect timing?

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Hi Amy!!

Posts of the day with Satan!! What a great day!! Sorry about cutting the corner off your car in two of them!! Can't wait to help her get a bit smoother later thsi month!

Rob

DSCN5070.jpg

DSCN5073.jpg

DSCN5082.jpg

aemoo28

WHAT? You didn't call me?? I could've paraded with you up I-5. Darn. And I'm starting my insane 10 hour 7 day rotation tomorrow, so I can't catch you on your way back. Double darn.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Tim,
Fastback is my wife, Val's, car. We have had it since 1977. Many different motors. I have been accused of installing "velcro" motor mounts to speed up the changes. Currently running a 13 to 1, 7,500 RPM purpose built motor with 48 IDA Weber carburetors. Boss 429 Scoop house a flat “plenum” air filter with cold air seal to the carbs. 4 speed toploader with every other syncro tooth removed to speed shifting. 4.11, 9 inch with 31 spline axles.

Runs very well! Val is a gear head and loves to slam a shift or to. Amy got to meet her but she was fight bronchitis and at about 50 percent. Val is very funny with a quick wit and dry humor. Shy until she gets to know you! Then look out!

When I get home tonight I will post an engine picture.

Rob

HappyHour

Tim,
Currently running a 13 to 1, 7,500 RPM purpose built motor with 48 IDA Weber carburetors. Boss 429 Scoop house a flat “plenum” air filter with cold air seal to the carbs. 4 speed toploader with every other syncro tooth removed to speed shifting. 4.11, 9 inch with 31 spline axles.

Rob

"purpose built". Very nice Fastback. :wink:

mechanicalguy48

Wow ,,, nice cars Rob. You notice none of them have collector car plates so they drive them and pay regular insurance on them too. Does the insurance company really know about these cars ,,,,lol ? Dang and a wife that enjoys it too,,, I am so jealous. What a hot rodders,,,hot rodder.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Thanks for the compliments! My wife is one in a million! Here are a couple more shots.

Blackmstgdriveway.jpg
is this photo:

enginerside.jpg
is this photo

Mustanger

... WOW, Rob, your stable is really BOSS!!! You gotta love hotrodding, I'm sure :wink: ...

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Arlie,
Thanks for the “thermactor” diagram all the way back on page 1 of this thread. Amy is coming over the 16th for some fine tuning and based on what Steve (mechanicalguy) we will re-hook as stock.

Steve, I have it at about 6 degrees BTDC now and hooking the back diaphragm removes about 6 degrees at hot idle. So I will baseline it at 12 degrees BTDC so it will have the same amount of advance at idle to ensure she stays cool. We will test drive hot and see if she pings. If not I will sneek it ahead a bit more. Find that sweet spot.

And re-adjust the idle air mixture screws. Did not do that before she left last time and judging by the fact I had to turn almost 3 turns off the curb idle, I bet the screws are off a bit. Although it was idling pretty darn well!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Thanks! A local fire department guy was a custom painter and 2nd owner of the car. He did the paint and all the custom steel flares in 1977. Many engines have gone through her. Boss 429 hood scoop was a late add with a cold air system I fabricated from scratch. My wife made me sign a napkin in Pizza Hut that this engine would be the last one!! Darn it, I signed it!!

Never let pizza and beer cloud your judgment!!!

Rob