• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Seat Belt anchor bolts

x-codegtcs

OK - so I am getting ready to install seatbelt!! YEAH! And the hard ware sent back to me wasn't what I sent out. The Jim Osborne book shows a torqx head on the bolt, but EVERY 68 mustang and cougar that I have worked on are the hex head bolt, not torqx head...is there someone who can help me clarify which is correct for a 68 San Jose March 26 build GT/CS? Thanks!

CougarCJ

My boss partially sorted out those bolts on our catalog a few years ago. There are no less than three different bolts used for 1968. Fronts, rears, and shoulders. All of them are just a little bit different. You can get an idea of the dimensions on this link.

Ruppstang

As I recall the shoulder harness bolt used the torx bolt. I think some of the AMK kits have them. Our 7-16-68 HCS did not.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! I wonder if I am EVER going to get this dang thing finished!!!! I swear I have spent a fortune shipping stuff back to people because they send the wrong (or poor quality) item!!! Back go the bolts....

Thanks for confirming my experience...I was beginning to worry that I had completely lost my freakin' brain.

copper

If some one can come up with the correct configeration PLASE let us know
As I can see The rear bolts are hex have no shoulders no destnce pieces and bolt straight to body anchor
The outside bolts hex with a 1/2in shoulder distance washer and a heavey washer over thread up against shoulder
Inside on tunnel mine carry 2 seperate belts I'm asuming that the set is. A hex bolt with a 7/8in long shoulder and 2 distance washers I have 2 thicknesses to go onto the shoulder bolts and heavy washer that fits over the thread up against the shoulder (I'm missing 1 full set, shoulder bolt and washers to do one more:confused::confused: centre front any help

robert campbell

I have two correct hex head bolts with a 5/8 inch shoulder. I will dig some more. What is your address to send them to? I think I have more. As I remember the two rear bolts held both the shoulder harness strap and the seat belt so thy have a longer shoulder? Free free free!!!

Rob

6t8-390gt

If you look on the head of the bolt they are marked with letters. The "E" bolts hold the front lap / shoulder belts with the latch. The lap belt goes on closest to the carpet with a spacer between and then shoulder belt. The bolt that holds the front seat retractor is marked with a "C." The front shoulder belts are marked "F". The rear belts are marked with an "A" and have two red dyed spacers on each side of the belt.
I hope this helps some.

Danny

Last edited:

robert campbell

X-Code,
I have the two bolts which have a wavy stamp off the center that resemble an "E". I also have the two upper shoulder harness belts with bolts and spacers. They are thick spacers (1/4 inch or better) and appear to be chrome plated. These belts have the unique rubber cover that covers the mounting point. Black belts and both have the bolts and they have a "N" stamped on them, and the gold chromium look is near perfect. Came out of my car with a build date of 2 January, so they are early for a GT/CS. The end with the clip has Velcro on it to stick to itself?

I think I also have the two front belts with receiver's that these clipped onto. No bolts. I just use the lap belts. I put these on once and hated them immediately! My hate = your gain.

Give me your address and you pay for shipping

Rob