• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Serial numbers?

GregL

Hi Guys,
Of all 4118 GT/CS's are the serial numbers all accounted for? I'm assuming the cars were randomly built throughout the later model year run. So is there any way to determine where a particular CS fits in or which was the first or the last one built
Thanks, Greg

dalorzo_f

The Ford database exists, unsure if anyone has ever collated every individual serial number.

Believe over 2000 are documented in the GTCS registry book. And the general build date/number ranges are known as they were built in batches. So, no. They were not randomly built thru the entire year, but within known date ranges (don't have my references handy and don't recall the specific months, think it was Feb-June-ish of '68...).

So a general guide is there....

OP
OP
G

GregL

Oh, OK. Thanks.
So, without having all 4,118 cars registered and accounted for, I guess there is no way to tell which is the last or first CS built?

dalorzo_f

No, the Ford database has production info and dates for each car off the line. It may already be known. Or one could ask for a statistical report from Kevin Marti (owner of the data) and find out the first and last off the line. (But I think he recently stopped doing them, or had very long delays for data searches)

The first ones were hand built and knowing specifically which one was "the first" completed may or may not be documented as bespoke items. Then you get into if the prototype or pre-production units counts as "the first" or are "development", or if the first off the San Jose production line is "the first"...

OP
OP
G

GregL

I would lean more towards the first/last off the San Jose line as this would most likely be a public sold/owned car.

robert campbell

Arlie "mosesatm" has an Excel file of the "known" cars. It can be sorted by build date and vin number or anyway you wish if you know Excel.

It is not complete as all cars have not been found or registered. But it does give you a window into where your car would fit in.

Rob

OP
OP
G

GregL

Thanks Rob.
I have just ordered the new GT/CS book by Paul Newitt. Apparently it has the (relatively) current CS registry listed in it. I have not seen the registry before but do you happen to know if they are listed chronologically by serial number? That would seem the most logical system.
Greg

sportyworty

The vin sequence is not a direct correlation to when the cars were actually produced. The last car off the line may have an earlier vin than one still on the line. The vin numbers were assigned early for engine stampings etc. before they went on the line. Some cars were held back for weeks at times waiting on a sub assembly or sorts therefore hundreds went on past a particular grouping.

robert campbell

And the strike in the Fall of 1967 really backed stuff up! Lots of cars pulled off the line and or stagnant. Really screwed up the delivery for awhile.

Rob

clubpro

Greg,

The earliest Marti confirmed CS is 8R01C130315 built Jan. 19th, but there are a couple of cars that were built before this one that may have been Cal Specials, but aren't designated on their Marti Reports as Cal Specials. I'm not sure we will ever know if they are or aren't, but when you examine them the have all of the important details that make up a Cal Special.

The last CS built that we know of so far is 8R01C172117 with a scheduled build date of July 31st, but we have one other car that has the same build date that was actually built July 18th so until we get a Marti on the last one built we won't know when its actual build date was.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited:

sportyworty

I have an original Raven Black, Black standard interior, no vinyl roof, 289, 3 speed stick GT/CS. No Engine or trans but everything else is here and the car is solid. Car is in the registry. Will be listing it shortly

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Wow a black GTCS only 77made, Red interior? That would be sweet. If I were not in the middle of our 68 HCS I would be interested. I have a 68 289 overhauled just looking for a home. Also a 3spd.
Marty

Mosesatm

Greg,
The cars were built in batches and the last batch seems to have been July 18th even though many of those cars have scheduled build dates of July 30th & 31st.
An example is this car.

Attachments

• 8R01C171879.jpg
    8R01C171879.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 27

CougarCJ

According to Kevin Marti's Mustang and Cougar Tag Book, the highest 1968 San Jose VIN is approximately 172300. So the GT/CS, like in Arlie's example, was one of the ones built during the last week or two of 1968 production.