• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Smokin'

imported_tree

smoken

case12 said:
Terry, It sounds like you are suggesting NOT to use the combustion chamber cleaner - right? (so, what is the situation on your car now - still smoking?)

For the other ideas - I did get it out and drive it (a rare occurance of good weather in Chicago in December), and it improved some. Keep in mind that I am anal and that any smoke, however small, gets to me. So, many of you might say "What smoke?", but I can see it.

Question I havent asked - Would valve settings have any impact? In other words, can oil get in through my intake valve because I havent set it right? Maybe a dumb question - and maybe mute point given the compression is decent?

Casey
After i put one can of the combustion cleaner in the vehicle the black/blue smoke faded, but then again i have to agree with the other guys that maybe valve seals or guides may be( ka-put).Idont belive that valve lash wouls have anything to do with the oil consumpson or burning.Try the compression check again and look for visable drop in air pressure.any thing (drop) over 5 lbs in two minm, means seals, rings or guides.These 289 engines are great and run forever.Check the simple thind first and go onfrom there. Happy New year to the gang... terry.........................

robert campbell

Casey,
Lot's of good thoughts on this thread. My experience with "seldom driven" cars is they tend get a bit "smokey" in the winter from inactivity. Rings are getting used to the cyclinder and valve seals are not as flexible. Go out and give her a nice long drive somewhere. It should clean up a bit. The one thing that makes me wonder is you noticed it a bit at the end of the summer season.

No one asked what oil you use. Lighter weights burn easier than the heavier ones. We could enter a complete new thread on oil preferences!!!

Another thing no one mnetion is the intake to head seal. Has you idle changed any at all? Meaning some kind of an "air leak". If the seal between the head and intake is compromised, it can actually suck a bit of oil. If you disassemble, pay close attention. I have edlebrock aluminum heads and aluminum intake on mine. I have stuggled a bunch with the intake gaskets. My heads and intake must move around a bit during heating and cooling. It seems to do this every two to three years and slowly sucks the intake gasket creating a huge air leak. No matter how much I stay after the torque. Tried all the premium gaskets and the "Mr Gasket" with silicon seal seems to work best.

But the valve seals seem to be the culprit. Usually a spark plug with alot of oil around the threads and seat has a weak seal. You seem to have isolated only one "wet"(oil around it) plug. You can change those seals without removing the head. I have done this to many a car to extend the use of an old motor and create less smoke. With your new heads, maybe somehow that seal got abused during assembly? Change both seals on the offending cylinder and see what happens. A very cheap try and it may produce a fix.

Rob

Mosesatm

How do you keep the valve in place when removing the retainer, spring, and seal? Do you pump air into the cylinder? How do you compress the spring to get the retainer back on?

robert campbell

I was in a bit of a hurry. there is an "L" bar spring compressor that works by pivoting on the rocker arm stud. You secure it to the rocker arm stud with the rocker arm nut and pull back on it to compress the spring. Might take a quick rap on the end of the valve with a copper or brass hammer to break the locks. The other way is a "claw type" spring compressor that fits just over the spring and has two puller jaws that reach down on the bottom coils of the spring and you screw it to tighten and compress the spring. I have both types. They are available through most parts stores or tool stores.

OP
OP
case12

case12

Casey, did you get this resolved?

Arlie, I will let you know soon. The weather is finally good here, but I have been driving the 66 vert. I need to get the CS out and drive it a while like Robert suggested. Hopefully in next few weeks I will know. If it bugs me too much after that, then I will probably just have the engine pulled and rebuild the whole thing. Thanks for keeping tabs on it. (I have been watching your engine saga with great interest - wow!). Casey