• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Stolen Shelby Alert in New York

Mustanglvr

Looks like whoever stole it, was doing the car a favor. Who could stand to see a Shelby sit and rust for so long without doing something.

Perkchiro

The "Blue Ovals in Barns" site states that the parents didn't want to sell the car because it belonged to their son who was killed in Viet Nam. It would seem to me that it would be a poor "memorial" to their son to just let the car waste into the ground. I don't condone the theft but I hope it will find its way into the hands of a restorer. Resurrection and restoration of this valuable beauty would be a better memorial to their fallen son. Just my opinion.
Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I guess the business I'm in makes me look at it in a different light.

One of our greatest challenges is dealing with people who want to honor their loved ones last wish to be cremated and scattered. A lot of times they don't want to do it because to them it symbolizes throwing the person away. For that reason we tell families (we use the word "families" instead of "customers") who have lost a loved one that for their own good they should place a memorial somewhere. Dad wanted to be cremated and scattered in the ocean? Great, go for it, but go to a local cemetery, or church, and place a marker there. Or donate a bench to a cause and place the loved ones name on the bench.

We've found over and over that people need something physical to see and to touch that reminds them of their loved one.

Yes, the Shelby was a rotting hulk but the old guy could go out and touch it and that must have brought some comfort to him. Of course we also tell people to not keep the memorial in the house (or the yard in this case) because seeing the object, whatever it is, every day can actually slow down or stop the healing process.

So, was it unhealthy for the father to keep the memorial to his son in the yard? Probably, but can you imagine the pain he would feel if he saw someone else driving that car? Maybe he should have crushed it and kept the VIN tag as a memorial and placed the tag in a cemetery.

CJ

Mosesatm; You are so right on. I don't particurlarly think it's the business your in, it is what you feel inside.

Diesel Donna

Mosesatm said:
I guess the business I'm in makes me look at it in a different light.

One of our greatest challenges is dealing with people who want to honor their loved ones last wish to be cremated and scattered. A lot of times they don't want to do it because to them it symbolizes throwing the person away. For that reason we tell families (we use the word "families" instead of "customers") who have lost a loved one that for their own good they should place a memorial somewhere. Dad wanted to be cremated and scattered in the ocean? Great, go for it, but go to a local cemetery, or church, and place a marker there. Or donate a bench to a cause and place the loved ones name on the bench.

We've found over and over that people need something physical to see and to touch that reminds them of their loved one.

Yes, the Shelby was a rotting hulk but the old guy could go out and touch it and that must have brought some comfort to him. Of course we also tell people to not keep the memorial in the house (or the yard in this case) because seeing the object, whatever it is, every day can actually slow down or stop the healing process.

So, was it unhealthy for the father to keep the memorial to his son in the yard? Probably, but can you imagine the pain he would feel if he saw someone else driving that car? Maybe he should have crushed it and kept the VIN tag as a memorial and placed the tag in a cemetery.

Oh I whole heartedly agree with you Arlie, having been in that position myself. I restored my late husbands 74 El Camino that he had for 29 years and it was a beauty. Imagine my horror almost two years ago when it caught fire and I had to drag it with my other truck to get it away from the house. The whole front end and inside the cab was incinerated but the rear was still good. Long story but I had it towed away. I still miss that car very much. I still wonder if anyone bought it at auction and fixed it up or did it get stripped out for parts. Its' somewhere in Phoenix. (Or all over in Phoenix)

It just would have been a great memorial to that father's son to have restored and driven the car himself, if he could afford it. I know I felt very proud that my husband would have approved very much of what I did with his baby "ELKY". I had it painted once before for him and had the seats recovered and other miscellaneous things and he was thrilled. But I must say I did an outstanding job the second time! Maybe they are together now??
Just a comforting thought to myself. I buried his ashes in Texas, like he wanted. I know I could have seperated some of them to keep but that was just too hard to do. I found a lot of comfort in driving his car. Now that's gone too. Sheesh... on the 8th of May it will be 9 years. Seems like only a short time ago.....
Sorry..didn't mean to get so sentimental.

~~~~Donna

Mustanger

Perkchiro said:
Don't worry all, if you know the way, we'll see them again some day.:smile:

How true, we should encourage each other and be there for each other ... I that He's there for us (John 3:16) ...

hookedtrout

Maybe it's one of those pimp my ride things. Someone loaded it up, hauled it off and they are going to restore it and return it one night at midnight looking like brand new. Wouldn't that be nice. Let's just hope it isn't pimp my ride, it may come back looking like something other than a Shelby.

Cory

Perkchiro

hookedtrout said:
Maybe it's one of those pimp my ride things. Someone loaded it up, hauled it off and they are going to restore it and return it one night at midnight looking like brand new. Wouldn't that be nice. Let's just hope it isn't pimp my ride, it may come back looking like something other than a Shelby.

Cory[/quote

Yeah but it'll have video screens in the headrests and a hot tub in the trunk:icon_lol:

Jayscal

If this car was stolen, I am sure it will be parted out. I just can't see this how this car can be registered with a hot VIN number. What ever happens it is a sad story.