• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Totaled CS-I need some advice

heliaster

Hey, I'm a new GT/CS owner but have done several mustangs before. So I'm looking for some advice/comfort? I recently bought a project CS, I didn't get a great deal but the price was (and this is what I'm unsure of) I think fair.

Herein lies the problem, it was a totaled car. Sometime in the 80's the owner's kid backed into a tree and ran into (slowly) another one, kinked the bumpers, messed up the rear panel, and bent the radiator support a little. The car still has the original paint on it so I can see all the original damage, it's nothing. Probably $1,000-1500 in body work today. No structural problems at all and the body panels don't even need to replaced. Unfortunately the owner filed a claim for some quick cash I assume, and being that the car was unrestored and rough (and it was the 80's), the insurance company totaled it and then sold it back to the owner for a couple hundred bucks. It was a driver up until 2 years ago and is disassembled to begin restoration now.

I guess my question is; how much will this drag down the car? Is it still a viable project? I'm a huge fan of the CS and other than the title the car is really desirable, 4 spd, V8, candy apple red, no rust...a great restoration opportunity. I appreciate any of your thoughts on this, as I said I'm new the CS world.

CougarCJ

If it says "Salvage" on the title, you may have to beg your insurance company to insure the GT/CS. Most insurance companies will only offer liability insurance on salvage vehicles. I do not know about classic car insurance companies.

I have heard that folks have been able to clean up a title. Registering the car in certain states removes the salvage on the title. You would have to research this, I do not know which states ignore the salvage part on older cars. A short period and re-register the car with the cleaned up title.

*Note - I am not positive that this is still a valid option, insurance companies lobby for consistency to prevent multiple claims on cars. I believe that Arizona no longer ignores, and quite possibly Arizona does indicate "salvage" on salvaged titles, Anyone know?

Rule of thumb, insurance companies will repair up to 75% of the blue book car value. Anything over is a total.

6t8-390gt

Are you saying the car has a Salvage Title? Even so, I think the more you can document the less of an issue it will be. Keep any and all paperwork you may have received regarding the claim or accident. Document with photos all of the repair/restoration work which is done to the car. Take lots of pictures before, during and after the restoration. Pictures will also help in the reassembly and final detailing of the car.

Photograph any and all paint daubs, inspection marks and things of that nature, even if you do not plan to duplicate them. Others may be interested in what you find or a future owner may choose to add them later.

Good luck, this site will offer lots of advice and good knowledge.

Danny

rvrtrash

I agree with Dan. Take good clear pictures of everything and I would see if the state police or DMV would inspect it before you take it apart and certify that the car is safe with no structural damage. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Steve

OP
OP
heliaster

heliaster

It's a reconstructed, not salvaged, title. Anytime an OR car is totaled by the insurance company it has to be listed as reconstructed on the title and it has to be inspected before it can get the "reconstructed" on the title (here at least).

I was thinking that in the 80's a car like that may have only been worth $500 to $1000, so it wouldn't take much more than the decklid, bumpers and grille to hit 75%. It was on a farm here in OR for most of its life.

Thanks for the help. I'm planning on photographing everything both for the title and just to document the resto. I sort of figured that because of the low production numbers of this model it could limit some of the negative blowback from the title. It's just a damn shame it has that because everything else makes it the perfect restoration candidate.

Thanks again. -Zac

P

PNewitt

I would also go get a Marti Report (Marti Auto Works), which will confirm or deny that it's a GT/CS, which may help a classic car insurance co. out.

Could you post your VIN and Door data plate# (unless you feel otherwise)?

We might know of it's "sister car", which could have been built right ahead or behind yours on the line.

Also--please register your CS with me ASAP:

GT/CS Registry
Paul M. Newitt
P.O. Box 2245
Davis, CA 95617
(and include a photocopy of the Marti Report)

Good luck--and it sounds like a real sweet CS!

Paul N.

PFSlim

Getting away from the title issue (which is important), I wanted to address the restoring aspect of the car.

I think the car (no matter what condition) is worth restoring and trying to put back (to the best of your ability or comfort) to original condition. These cars are great cars and worth the time and money to bring back. A great looking GT/CS out on the road is admired by many.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang5.JPG
    Stang5.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Stang8.JPG
    Stang8.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Stang11.JPG
    Stang11.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 33
  • stevenson.jpg
    stevenson.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 25

68gt390

I agree with Paul. To me any GT/CS is worth restoring. They are few and far between. I always used to think they were just run of the mill mustangs when I was in high school out in California but, after having mine here in the Mid-West for the past several years has helped my appreciation for these cars to grow. It's amazing the reaction I get from folks throughout this area when they see the car at a show. I say restore them if you can.

Don :grin:

Attachments

• body work 8.JPG
    body work 8.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 25
  • body work 2.JPG
    body work 2.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DPotter 3.JPG
    DPotter 3.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DPotter 5.JPG
    DPotter 5.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
heliaster

heliaster

I would also go get a Marti Report (Marti Auto Works), which will confirm or deny that it's a GT/CS, which may help a classic car insurance co. out.

Could you post your VIN and Door data plate# (unless you feel otherwise)?

Here's the info:
VIN: 8R01C152443

I have the Marti Report too.

Body: 65A Color: T 2D Trim:21C Date: 71 DSO: Axle: E Trans: 5
(engine bay walls, door tag, and dash VIN tag all verify this)

Options:
CS, 4 spd wide watio transmission, locking differential, wide oval tires, whitewalls, AM radio

Build date: 3/21/68

Sold in Portland, OR.

I'll fill out that registry too Paul.

-Zac

Doug

This car is already in the registry:

Details for VIN #8R01C152443
Owner & Dataplate Info Vehicle Options Other Options
Owner: Zac Kohl
VIN: 8R01C152443
Year: GT/CS
Body: 65C
Color: T
Trim: 2D
Day, Month: 71,-
DSO: --
Axle: E
Trans: 5
Original Owner?:
Originally Sold Where?: Francis Ford, Inc. Porltand, OR
Stripe Color: white
Antenna Base: round
Fog Lights: Marchall
Rear Quarter Reflector: recessed
Wheels: unknown
Vinyl Top: no
Comp. Handling Package:
Power Disc Brakes:
Power Steering: Y
GT Equipment:
Accent Paint Stripe:
Front Bumper Guards:
Rear Bumper Guards:
Exterior Decor Group: N
Luggage Rack: N
Remote Mirror: N
Dealer installed Shelby 5 spoke wheels
Additional Comments:

BroadwayBlue

Getting away from the title issue (which is important), I wanted to address the restoring aspect of the car.

I think the car (no matter what condition) is worth restoring and trying to put back (to the best of your ability or comfort) to original condition. These cars are great cars and worth the time and money to bring back. A great looking GT/CS out on the road is admired by many.

Paul

I just love when you post those pics!! Great inspiration to many of us!