• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Trunk color

dalorzo_f

The trunk area in mine is sprayed black. (quarter panles areas area around gas tank, tail panle inside surface but not the full bracket where the gas filler goes. Not the top of the tank.

Assumed it was a PO deal, but am not sure as with the taillight caps sticking thru (black) and the cardboard covers (black) thinking maybe the trunk were painted black to match?

Or were they body color inside as with the "normal" Mustangs?

franklinair

IIRC the trunk compartment is all body color- same as regular production models. (Don't know for sure if the inside of the quarters have that black sound deadener slopped on.)

Neil

stangfan

Pretty sure Neil is right on. My trunk, with the exception of the top of the gas tank, is body colour. I had an original 67 coupe a few years back that was the same. Both cars had the sound deadener on the inside of the quarters, but it was painted body colour also.

J_Speegle

Hmmm... that's kinda what I thought. Can anyone else confirm?

Seam sealer & sound deadener applied before exterior body color, also trunk hinges and trunk lid installed also. So the mounting bolts, spring and all get exterior color. No gas tank taillights, filler tube/neck or wiring yet ;) Patterns and texture of the sealer and sound deadener can vary depending on when the car was built at San Jose.

On non-Calif Specials the quarter extensions/end caps were loosely (spaced out) installed with dum-dum and one nut. Don't know if its been figured out if they were on Calif Specials

If your painting your trunk area don't forget to first install the rear bumper guard brackets behind the rear valance!!!! so that the mounting bolt and sealer is painted also ;)

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yep, a quart of gun cleaner (thinner), 3 cans of spray degreaser a big pile of rags and a pressure washer and "most" of the goo is gone. Love what some PO's do....

whodat

When I went and looked at the car I have the inside quarters were painted black undercoat. He said the PO did it. He took a bunch of pictures of the car when he bought it and in one of the pictures you can vividly see where the inside quarters were the body color. In my opinion it was done to hide what was done to the lower quarter panel. So when I restore the car the right way this will need to be removed.

lenta

Does that mean the top of the tank is also the trunk compartment body color, one color?

franklinair

No. As Jeff stated in reply #5, the fuel tank was installed AFTER paint work, and should be unpainted/natural.

Neil

somethingspecial

The tank was not in the car when the inside of the trunk was painted. My understanding is, as Jeff Speegle stated, the sound deadner was applied to the inside of the quarter panels, the trunk lid and springs were installed, then the inside of the trunk was painted body color. The tail light block off plate holes were then drilled. The holes were left rough and not deburred. The block off plates were painted semi gloss black and the same screws used on the floor body plugs were used to fasten the block off plates to the tail panel with black caulking sealer. Yellow adhesive was used to glue the gray luggage pinch weld cover to the left wheel house (very sloppy). The fuel tank (NOT painted) was installed with a sealer used between the body and tank. I used 3M Strip Caulk.

J_Speegle

The tank was not in the car when the inside of the trunk was painted. My understanding is, as Jeff Speegle stated, the sound deadner was applied to the inside of the quarter panels, the trunk lid and springs were installed, then the inside of the trunk was painted body color. The tail light block off plate holes were then drilled. The holes were left rough and not deburred. The block off plates were painted semi gloss black and the same screws used on the floor body plugs were used to fasten the block off plates to the tail panel with black caulking sealer. ..... The fuel tank (NOT painted) was installed with a sealer used between the body and tank. I used 3M Strip Caulk.

+1 :)

Yellow adhesive was used to glue the gray luggage pinch weld cover to the left wheel house (very sloppy).

Luggage strips were not always gray but often black (especially other years at San Jose but there seems to have been a supply issue for the normal supplier and a few shipments of the gray ones from the other supplier (normally Dearborn and NJ) seems to have taken place. Still see more black than gray on spring 68 San Jose but would not deduct for either on those cars

The left side of the trunk mat was stitched in the corner

We there not three seams that were stitched? Two on the driver's side of the mat and one on the passenger side forward

Cool Manchu

Here is a picture of my trunk. My car has original paint, which is Highland green. Please keep in mind the car has been sitting in a garage for 22+years. :)

10353324_10152107610886408_2355814696573095271_o.jpg