• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What screws to use on tail light panel?

azbeneman

So overall, the re-assembly of my car is going smoothly. I was working on the fiberglass tail light panel and the tail lights today and cannot find the 8 screws that fasten the tail lights to the fiberglass panel (on the inside of the panel).

Does anyone have a photo of what these screws look like? It doesn't have to be concours correct, but if I am going to have to buy new ones, they might as well be correct.

Craig

BroadwayBlue

OP
OP
A

azbeneman

Thanks Rich. I am looking for the screws that attach the light assembly to the fiberglass panel.

When I took my car apart, I removed the screws but the light assembly would not come out of the fiberglass. I took it to the paint shop with the car and they removed the light assembly without damaging the fiberglass panel.

I bag and tag everything, so the only thing I can think of is that I taped the bag to the fiberglass panel and they got lost at the paint shop. If I knew what they looked like, I could order replacements. I plan on stopping by the paint shop next week to see if they have replacements or something that would work.

Craig

OP
OP
A

azbeneman

I did a search of the site and the only photo I can find of the back of the fiberglass panel with the lights mounted looks like pan head screws were used. They look like the same style as the valance. I think I have some extras from a 66 I restored a few years back. I will give those a try.

somethingspecial

The screws shown below are the screw which fasten the bucket to the fiberglass. To the best of my knowledge, it is not reproduced and is an odd size. Possibly 12x14 fillister head screw. I have checked Thunderbird shops as well as NPD and can not find any. I would try to find your screws if I were you. You also use one of these screws to connect the ground wire on the harness to complete a ground to the tail light bucket.

The screws which hold the tail light lens and chrome bezel to the buckets are available from National Parts Depot (NPD). Here is the link https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mounting_kit_tail_light_lens-178507-1.html
You will need two sets, as each light takes 8 screws.

Hope this helps. Mike

Attachments

• tail light bucket screws.jpg
    tail light bucket screws.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
A

azbeneman

Thanks Mike. Odd ball screws for sure. After 3 trips to Lowes/Homedepot last night I ended up using #12 3/4" sheet metal screws with a couple of washers.

After getting everything back together today, I found these......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
A

azbeneman

When I say everything was all put back together, I got to here today. Definitely the point of no return on using the original screws. Fortunately, you can't see those once the panel is installed.

Thanks again for finding a picture of what those screws look like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 30