• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

My L.A. / Galpin Ford Story

P

PNewitt

How do I begin? With years of experience at Mustang shows, other Ford dealerships, and the GT/CS "books"; as well as my old Mustang dealer catalogs; this was a really, really impressive experience for me. When I thought I'd seen it all, this really was fantastic!

I interviewed Bert Boeckmann (pronounced "Bachmann"), the owner of Galpin; and met his son (and V.P.) Beau. This was really an exciting experience to talk about the history of the GT/CS, as well as what it was like in L.A. during the late 1960's in the musclecar years. They graciously pulled out photos for me to see--some were Mustang drag cars that they sponsored, and even a four-engined Mustang dragster!

I learned about how Galpin pioneered the term "Galpinized" which meant that they would customize Fords for customers. Galpin started the use of sunroofs in cars, the 4x4 Truck, and van conversions--all back in the late 60's and 70's. They also brought back the Mustang Convertible for 1980.

I saw photos of a 1968 coupe with a rumble seat, too. Many of these things will be in the book--to show just what was going on prior to the advent of the GT/CS. These examples are excellent examples of L.A. car culture--that prompted a factory-built customized Mustang--the GT/CS!

Here is a photo of the dealership--and the restaurant they have there for customers to have something to eat while they consider a purchase of a new Ford (pure genius!!). I had some of their buffalo chili, and a Hawaiian burger. Excellent!!

Where else can you look at brand new Mustangs while having a meal??

Paul N..

Attachments

• galpinrest.jpg
    galpinrest.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 66

somethingspecial

What would be cool is if they emptied their front line up and had us park all the 68s on the front line for the 40th anniversary run. We could have lunch and watch them "Pimp" Joes ride. LOL, Or Donna, You said you like Leopard Skin Interior!!!!!! I've been there, Done that, and thanks to Tim, Have the Tee Shirt. Ha Ha

But seriously folks, What a picture that would be to have one or two rows of GT/CSs on the lot at the same time. Mike

rvrtrash

My girlfriend said she wanted to visit San Francisco sometime, so I said "How about next year?" Somehow she knew I was up to something, but it just might work out. Fingers crossed. :wink:

Steve

davidathans

we should have met up when you were out here Paul...coulda given you a ride...

i was on the 101 on the way to Sunrise ford yesterday and some girl was taking pictures of the car on the freeway haha

When i got to sunrise ford all the salesman were drooling on the car haha...i picked up 3 new mustang brochures and took some pictures of the shelby GT's they had on the lot...i spoke with the owner and some of the older finance guys...and one of them told me he used to sell 68 mustangs...he said they would take $500 down and $100 a month for 36 months...

my friend, who is a salesman there, wants to buy a 69 mustang coupe from a guy nearby...so we went by and looked at it....the car has been sitting in a garage for the last 15 years...supposedly the motor was rebuilt 15000 miles ago...the car has 47900 miles on the odometer, but it probably rolled over once so its really 147900...its a deluxe version that says grande on the vinyl roof and has wood grain interior in pretty good shape....the motor is an inline 6 cylinder with automatic transmission and factory air conditioning....disc brakes in the front....do you think its worth $4k??

here are some pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_4099 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4099 (Custom).JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4100 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4100 (Custom).JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4101 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4101 (Custom).JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4102 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4102 (Custom).JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4103 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4103 (Custom).JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4104 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4104 (Custom).JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 30

davidathans

pictures at Sunrise Ford

Attachments

• IMG_4098 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4098 (Custom).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4097 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4097 (Custom).JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4096 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4096 (Custom).JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4095 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4095 (Custom).JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4093 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4093 (Custom).JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

But Wait, there's MORE....

So....as the interview winded down, Beau brought out a Shelby file of his, with a mint condition '68 Shelby accessories catalog. My jaw dropped!

They also handed me five awesome Galpin calendars, from 2003-2007. These are definately collector items! Beau took me (in his customized Lincoln) over to the Galpin Auto Sports store a block away, which is a candy store for late model Mustangs. This is like a little SEMA convention in one store. This is also where they shoot "Pimp My Ride" behind the store. I was told that folks from all over the world stop by to see what they can when they film GAS/and MTV's PMR.

Over there was a prototype Boss car, with some of their goodies. They make some of their own parts, and use a lot of off-the-shelf parts, too. You can have custom paint, wheels, suspension, blowers, sound systems, etc. You just want to hang out here forever!!

I have to add that Beau is the coolest guy (!!)--he is so down to earth, and he appreciates the older Mustang history, too. This is a family business, and you can tell that from how everyone at the dealership is so friendly, and sincere.

Paul N.

Attachments

• galpinauto.jpg
    galpinauto.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 30
  • showrm.jpg
    showrm.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 46

CougarCJ

my friend, who is a salesman there, wants to buy a 69 mustang coupe from a guy nearby...so we went by and looked at it....the car has been sitting in a garage for the last 15 years...supposedly the motor was rebuilt 15000 miles ago...the car has 47900 miles on the odometer, but it probably rolled over once so its really 147900...its a deluxe version that says grande on the vinyl roof and has wood grain interior in pretty good shape....the motor is an inline 6 cylinder with automatic transmission and factory air conditioning....disc brakes in the front....do you think its worth $4k??

here are some pictures...

That car has some great parts.
Near mint rimblow steering wheel, Mach 1 woodgrain dash with clock, console, underhood pad looks pretty choice.
Door panels, can't tell, they would be the deluxe style though.

Personally I would rather have an H or M code Grande if I were in the market.
Still, I would rather have a 1968 coupe, preferably the GT/CS variety.

davidathans

thanks for the input...i agree that it needs a V8...it will get one...but i think it is worth $4k and then $2k to get it running while he saves the money for the V8 and trans and everything else for that matter

somethingspecial

Back to the thread

Paul, Any ideas when the 40th ann. run may take place? I think that would be soooooooooo cool. Mike

Doug

Any idea as to who was the 1st dealer was that sold (delivered) the 1st CS? It would be cool to start a rally at that point. Doug

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

sorry

i went to a ford dealership too and it was part of my story...i thought it fit in this thread...i was wrong

Hi David,

Gosh, no, it's not that. Your story is definately part of a dealer experience. No need to be sorry. It's just (in a general sense) that people on message boards think that their in a chat room....and tangents off into other topics can start quickly. Another thread about my L.A. trip went off about "Pimp My Ride", (geez!) and so, I had to start this thread...

I know, the digital impression seems territorial on my part, but I just wanted to see this one continue on the subject.

Besides, David, I can't see you doing anything here "wrong". I'm still awestruck about your track times.

Just my two bits....thanks!

Paul N.

Midnight Special

Hi David,

......Another thread about my L.A. trip went off about "Pimp My Ride", (geez!) and so, I had to start this thread...

I know, the digital impression seems territorial on my part, but I just wanted to see this one continue on the subject.
Just my two bits....thanks! Paul N.

...I didn't think it too out of context to comment on "Pimp my ride" among friends here. It was also part of both threads with your dealership visits prominent. But as they say; if your having too much fun - it's gotta be illegal somehow... Oh well, 'party's over - back to business......

My2Bits

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Not a problem at all. I guess in our own "digital vision" we have our own worlds. Plus, we're only two steps from the string and two cans communication system. No inflections, etc.

It's not like I have a tazer gun aimed of off-topics...LOL!....I just blurt out what I see., we all do it. You should see other sites with threads...all kinds of awful stuff. We're pretty lame by comparison (thank gosh!!)...

I shoulda got Mike that PMR hat. Next trip.
( pssst....(in confidence)...You know he keeps a sample of that leopard upholstery in his restoration book? Yep.)

Paul N.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

What about pics of the Lincoln?

oh, yeah. I was being shown so much so fast, I didn't have time to act like a papparazi! LOL!

I'll ask for a photo next trip. They also have a great shot of that '68 coupe with the rumble seat for me.

Paul.