• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Front suspension rebuild - current wisdom?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
So what's the current wisdom on replacing stock front suspension parts? Are there certain brands to look for? Is Moog still making decent parts? How about Drake?

For the upper control arms, is there anything wrong with keeping my stock arms and just replacing the control arm shaft and ball joints? Or is there an advantage to getting the complete arm pre-loaded in a kit? I'm leaning toward the former because I'd like to keep as many original hard parts as I can.

For the lower control arms my understanding is it makes more sense to just replace the whole arm, pre-loaded with ball joint and bushing.

For the coil spring seat/perch, is it even possible to just replace the bushings? Or is it simpler to just buy the whole seat/perch?

Coil springs - should I just replace them since I'm already in there? (the repos seem pretty inexpensive)

On any of these parts is there a reason to get the heavier duty versions to improve performance? I'm replacing parts due to wear, not because I want to hit the track. But I'm not opposed to taking advantage of newer design improvements if they stay in the realm of stock.

Thanks in advance everyone. It's been a lot of years since I've looked up these parts.

BTW, I've already seen this excellent resource someone posted a long time ago (by Marty or Jeff Speegle maybe?)

Ruppstang

I am a Concours guy so I always want to use the original parts. Upper control arm ball joints were riveted not bolted. Getting someone to rivet them can be challenging and expensive. If the lower control arm ball joints are tight and the boots are not cracked, I would just refinish them. Same with the tie rod ends. The spring perches are rebuildable but it is not easy. I realize that you are not building a concours car so if you choose to go the aftermarket rout save all of the original parts. Marcas Angel Restorations is in your area, he can restore your suspension parts but I think he gets about $1200 just for the upper control arms. Let me know if I CAN help you.

rvrtrash

Jon, I'll offer my thoughts. Moog used to be the king for suspension, but I think everything is built in China now. I've seen some of their stuff that was horrible. Hate to admit it, but recently I've just bought stuff from NAPA because if it's not right, it's easy to take back (and their quality has gone down lately as well).
I've changed out a lot of upper control arm shafts and ball joints. It's not a big deal. I'd go that route. Consider while you're in there, doing the Shelby drop.
Lower control arms I just change the whole thing.
Coil spring perch, just change the whole thing, maybe go to a roller perch to reduce binding. You can change just the bushings, but they're a pain to get out.
I'd replace the springs, because after 50+ years, they'll be weak and sag some. I've bought direct from Detroit Eaton Spring. You can pick the weight you want and whether you want it shorter or not. I personally like dropping the front end a little because they always look a little high in the front to me if they're stock (and I'm all about the road race).

Mosesatm

I agree with Steve, but I might add upgrading the upper shafts to a bearing type, if there is such a thing.

franklinair

As Steve said, virtually everything comes out of China. I have no specific favored manufacturer because of that. Shop the various vendors for the best pricing. Large $$ orders have free shipping cost.
When I re-do suspension I do everything: UCA, LCA, coil springs, coil spring saddles, strut rod bushings, rear leaf springs, and shock absorbers. And be sure to check steering linkages for wear/looseness, and replace as required.
Some vendors offer packages. I purchased a package from Kentucky Mustang at a pretty good price.
I try to match original appearance overall, but admittedly, not concourse.

Neil
011 (2).JPG014 (2).JPG013 (2).JPG

Last edited:

miller511

Hey Jon, I‘ve had good luck with the Grab-A Trak suspension from Mustangs Plus. Looks like they are now owned by Top Flight Automotive. As with most aftermarket stuff now, it’s hit and miss. Put all that on back in 2005 or so. Here’s a link-
Also, really enjoying your restoration threads. Glad your son is involved as well. Very cool.
-Jeff

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Consider while you're in there, doing the Shelby drop.
I was considering this. I did it to my '67 Cougar years ago and my recollection is lowering the upper control arm 1" resulted in the whole front end of the car coming down about 1/2".

I'd replace the springs, because after 50+ years, they'll be weak and sag some. I've bought direct from Detroit Eaton Spring. You can pick the weight you want and whether you want it shorter or not. I personally like dropping the front end a little because they always look a little high in the front to me if they're stock (and I'm all about the road race).
I'm definitely not about the road race ;) but I do agree the stance on our Mustangs looks much better with the front end slightly lowered. New coil springs really are pretty inexpensive compared to other suspension components. And yes, I will get new rear leaf springs too.

So I'm thinking 1" lower Eaton rear leaf springs, 1" lower front coil springs, plus the Shelby UCA drop.

My thought is that will achieve a overall lowered stance with the front end just a bit lower than level.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Hey Jon, I‘ve had good luck with the Grab-A Trak suspension from Mustangs Plus. Looks like they are now owned by Top Flight Automotive. As with most aftermarket stuff now, it’s hit and miss. Put all that on back in 2005 or so. Here’s a link-
https://www.topflightautomotive.com/products/ford/mustang/performance/grab-a-trak/
Looks like they have "no products currently available" on their web site. I'll check back later to see if it's a temp issue.

I didn't realize Mustang Plus was bought out. Looks like it happened in March 2021