CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Old 09/10/2004, 11:06 AM   #1
bbeatty

New LED taillights for California Special

I just saw that a company called Mustang Projects is making sequential LED light for the California Special taillight. They've been making them for the standard lights for some time now and I haven't heard of any complaints yet.

Yes, I know, our taillights aren't supposed to be sequential but the LED are so much brighter than the original bulbs I just might have to add this to my Christmas list. ;D

http://www.safecode.net/mustangproject/prod26.htm
bbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2004, 12:24 PM   #2
CalPaul

Re:New LED taillights for California Special

I've noticed the same ad and it is tempting to try it out. My tail lights are not real bright, although mine are sequential (dynamite sticks were installed at some point).
Has anyone else tried this new LED set-up?
Also, how about a Pertronix ignition? :)
CalPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2004, 07:31 PM   #3
PNewitt

I went to that website, and although they look interesting, I think that the sequence--in six parts--takes too long to get across the taillight.

The original T-Bird/Cougar sequential lights were in three parts, and it was quicker (as compared to the animated gif on that website). The 1-2-3-4-5-6 timing looks too slow and would distract drivers following behind.

At $299, that's $50 per circuit board. WOW. That seems too high for something like that. I deal with circuit boards, and the cost of white LEDs has come down quite a bit--especially in quantity. So, I don't know why they are so expensive.

The "no sequential brakelights" idea is a good (and legal) one, but (in my opinion) this effect looks too "gimmicky", instead of the original look you get with the D. sticks.

Just my two bits.

Paul.
Old 09/11/2004, 02:11 PM   #4
davidathans
My Car Details

Best e.t. : 11.042, Fastest speed: 124.08, Best 60' : 1.615, 0 to 100 in 6.98

I installed the Dynamite sticks on my GTCS and i have a few problems with them:

When i use the turn signals the outside bulb barely lights up because the sticks suck up too much juice. When i put on the Emergency lights its even worse, just the inside ones light up and the middles barely.

They work the best for my brake lights! The brake lights will light up all 3 on each side and then they stay lit until i take my foot off the brakes. So when i tap the brakes i can get them to repeat the sequential pattern.

Did anyone else have this problem? anyone have any solutions?
davidathans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2004, 05:17 PM   #5
Jayscal
My Car Details

GT/CS owner for 23 years

David, I am willing to bet you just have a bad ground problem. These tailight setups had a poor ground set-up right from the beginning. After many years the sockets corrode and can cause problems like you stated. It is a quite simple fix, please check into it. I wrote a article about how to fix this problem, its called taillight repair, go back a few pages on the forum and you should find it.
Jayscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2004, 11:06 PM   #6
davidathans
My Car Details

Thanks Jay, I didnt have this problem before installing the Dynamite sticks, but the lights would all light up at the same time.

Should the lights function sequentially with the brakes as well as the turn signals?

I will read the forum on the ground thanks for your info.
Old 09/12/2004, 06:05 AM   #7
quicknick
My Car Details

eBay: gtcslover

Send a message via MSN to quicknick
My Garage

I would have to agree with Jayscal. It does sound like a poor grounding problem. Reinspect the harness and check the connections where you tapped in the D sticks.
When applying the brakes, Both lights should sequence from the inboard lights, out. Nicholas
quicknick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2004, 09:54 AM   #8
mustangproject

Just fyi. We have a new product which has only three segments per side and is very popular now. Its super bright and at a much lower cost!

Check it out at http://www.safecode.net/mustangproject/prod26.htm
mustangproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2004, 05:35 PM   #9
hookedtrout

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage

I kind of like the looks of the 3 segment light. What's everyone else thinK?

Hook
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2004, 07:29 PM   #10
Sarge

My Garage

I like the three taillight look. My problem is that I am dropping a lot of volts (amps, whatever you want to measure) between the engine bay and the back of the car. What I really wish for is an original new taillight wiring harness so that I could do it right.
Santa C/S, are you listening???
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2004, 08:02 PM   #11
mmarsalone

I like the look of the three segment lights. Reading the website, it looks as if there are no modifications to the wire harness. It looks like you replace the bulbs with the LED units and then replace your flasher and connect a ground wire. If that's it, it would be easy to go back to the original setup you won't have to splice your tail light harness like you would with the dynamite sticks.

Mustangproject, is this correct? If so, I think many of us would really be interested in your product.

Thanks,
Mike
mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2004, 09:18 PM   #12
davidathans
My Car Details

My question is this...

im the guy who has dynamite sticks already and for the turn signals the outside bulbs barely glow and for emergency lights its only the inner and the middle a little and the brakes lights make all them work...

will JUST BUYING this product make the tailights work properly..or am i going to have to replace some sockets/fixtures?

Do these new sequentials work with the emergency lights?
Old 12/23/2004, 11:01 AM   #13
PNewitt

I like the idea of them doing a three-step light with LEDs. It's important to keep the brake and flasher signals separate--as they have done. For them to make a better and less expensive kit is great! (thanks guys for doing that!).

I think that for my new book, I should really get into this taillight harness and light fixtures rebuild. I need to look into how one would rechrome potmetal without ruining it. New reflectors would make a big difference, too, regardless of which light method used.

Mixing new and old might make for new problems. But when they work, it's pretty neat.

Paul N.
Old 12/23/2004, 12:01 PM   #14
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1087;start=0#msg7310 date=1103824884]
I think that for my new book, I should really get into this taillight harness and light fixtures rebuild. I need to look into how one would rechrome potmetal without ruining it. New reflectors would make a big difference, too, regardless of which light method used.[/quote]

I saw a new chrome paint the other day that actually looks pretty amazing. Traditionally chrome paints have really just been bright silver, but this stuff actually looks like real plated chrome.

http://alsacorp.com/chrome.htm
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2004, 06:18 PM   #15
mustangproject

[quote author=monkey_golf link=board=1;threadid=1087;start=0#msg7274 date=1103684536]
I like the look of the three segment lights. Reading the website, it looks as if there are no modifications to the wire harness. It looks like you replace the bulbs with the LED units and then replace your flasher and connect a ground wire. If that's it, it would be easy to go back to the original setup you won't have to splice your tail light harness like you would with the dynamite sticks.

Mustangproject, is this correct? If so, I think many of us would really be interested in your product.

Thanks,
Mike
[/quote]

Hi yes you simply replace the three bulbs with our new taillight modules and you don't have to splice up or modify an existing standard wiring harness at all! It really is that easy especially on the California Special. If you have retrofitted the car with dynamite sticks or something else you just need to remove these and restore the wiring to stock.

Its a great kit because it does no harm to the originality of the car but looks great and is much brighter than stock lights.

Regarding emergency lights you can leave in the old emergency flasher if you like . Of course the lights wont sequence in emergency mode just flash on/off. If you want to you can buy an extra flasher module and your lights will sequence when the emergency flasher is activated.

Yes they are just as easy as the appear! We provide a 4 year warranty and 100% money back guarantee.

www.mustangproject.com
mustangproject is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions