CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Old 12/02/2021, 07:57 PM   #1
Mustang67

January 1968 390 Date Code 390 Block Questions

I have a few questions. Does anyone here know the specifics on Ford changing date codes for the New Year in 1968. Can a September, October, November, or December 1967 dated 390 block come OEM from the factory in my mid January 1968 built Mustang or would it be dated the first of January only up to the build date? Did Ford use unused 390 blocks from the last few months of the previous year or did Ford cast new blocks at the start of the new year? Also, did almost all other parts including the intake manifolds get cast or stamped only with the new year part numbers c8 oe or date coded for 68 only. Some do get the c5 oe or c6 oe possibly? Thanks
Bob
Mustang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2021, 11:46 PM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I can't give you specifics on an early '68 390, but I can say generally, parts will be date coded within a month of the build date. I've heard though that the strike in late '67 caused date codes to be all over the map, so the date codes you mentioned are possible. The way to be sure is if the VIN stamped in the block matches your car. As for the other parts, yes, they can be stamped C5, C6, etc. The CXXX number is when the part was engineered, and for what product line, and the date code after that will tell when it was actually cast or manufactured. This is all just my understanding. Hopefully those more knowledgeable than me will chime in as well.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2021, 06:24 AM   #3
Ruppstang

My Garage
IMHO your car is too late to have a C6 intake. Some of the early 68s had them.

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2021, 02:40 PM   #4
Mustang67

The stamped vin on the block started possibly at the first of the year for 68, though some others have stated they might not have at first. The question still stands if a mid January mustang build date in 68 could have a 390 block date coded from late 67 from the factory. Thanks for the info on the other questions.
Bob
Old 12/04/2021, 06:09 PM   #5
Ruppstang

My Garage
Given the timing of the UAW strike I would say yes.

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2021, 02:27 PM   #6
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
When you say "the first of the year" you are referring to the "model year", not the calendar year, correct?

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis incone beezis onchest nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2021, 02:29 PM   #7
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Also, you are asking about a mid-January 1968 built Mustang GT/CS?

Scott Behncke
Old 12/05/2021, 07:12 PM   #8
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I found this information on the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (effective January 1, 1968) concerning the engine VIN.

Public VIN (since January 1, 1968 visible through the windshield)

In the United States, the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (effective January 1, 1968) mandated certain safety requirements on vehicles to be sold in the USA such as side marker lights, safety belts and Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) visible on the dash through the windshield. This is VIN location has come to be known as the “public VIN” and is probably the VIN that you are most familiar with.

Hidden or Confidential VIN

VINs have been stamped into frames of vehicles for many years, however the process became more uniform starting approximately during the 1968 model year. The VIN was stamped into various metal objects on the vehicle, including the frame, the body, the engine, transmission and other places. The VIN on the frame or the body became known as the Hidden VIN, the Confidential VIN or the Federal VIN. This number is usually not a full, complete VIN but a derivative thereof. The sequential production number of the hidden VIN should match the sequential production number (the last five or six digits) of the Public VIN

I also found some internet posts suggesting Ford began stamping all blocks Jan. 1st as well. While not 100% definitive, I would say that if the VIN isn't stamped into the block, I don't think you can claim yours is the original block, as you have no way of proving it.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2021, 11:22 AM   #9
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Just for clarification:

What is the Build Date of the car?
Is the VIN stamped on the block?
What is the Casting Number on the Block?
Is there a Casting Number on the Manifold?

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2021, 10:22 PM   #10
Mustang67

The date code question is about any 196 8 Ford passenger car /Mustang/ standard or upgraded models /G T500 etc. (Jan 1st being the first day of the year). The date code/codes that are being discussed are January 25/ 25A up to January 31/ 31A on a coupe to be exact. As stated some have discussed the possibility that some do not have vins on the 390block starting at the first of 1968. There is no vin stamping on the block available or that would answer the question by default if the date code on the block was date cast 67. Thanks
Thanks
Old 12/18/2021, 12:45 PM   #11
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
Just for clarification:

What is the Build Date of the car?
Is the VIN stamped on the block?
What is the Casting Number on the Block?
Is there a Casting Number on the Manifold?

Neil
Give us the information Neil requested and we can help you. My experience in 1968 cars built in San Jose is they have VIN'S stamped in them. I have pictures of a 1968 San Jose built 6 shooter with the vin in both the 3 speed manual tranny and the block. Cars in other plants I cannot speak to. Your block and or the driver side head should be stamped at the bottom of the head, or near the top of the head surface of the block, on the back drivers side facing the firewall.

Give us the information and we can help you. Date codes were not changed from what I have read and experienced on the calendar year. They always follow the model year starting October 1.

Is this a GT/CS Mustang?

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2021, 11:53 AM   #12
Mustang67

The build date I am referring to is January 25 of 68, coupe. It doesn’t have the original engine so there are no stampings. I needed to know if originally the 390 blocks of late 67 would be factory or would only 68 on a 390 and/or 390gt. Most of the old mustang mechanics or machine shops would be the ones to know this.
Old 12/29/2021, 06:58 PM   #13
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang67 View Post
The build date I am referring to is January 25 of 68, coupe. It doesn’t have the original engine so there are no stampings. I needed to know if originally the 390 blocks of late 67 would be factory or would only 68 on a 390 and/or 390gt. Most of the old mustang mechanics or machine shops would be the ones to know this.
1968 Ford cars and parts manufacturing were interrupted by UAW strike which started on Sept 6, 1967. It ended on October 22, 1967.
Cars shipped after the strike could have some components with non-typical date patterns.
I would guess that the original engine for a Jan 25, 1968 built car to have casting numbers from December 1967. To narrow it down further, you would need to find 390 casting dates, from a San Jose built Mustang in your VIN range.

Scott Behncke
Old 01/03/2022, 10:07 PM   #14
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang67 View Post
Doubt that any "old" Mustang mechanics or machine shops will have any info on date codes and such to the year of a car. It was not a big deal back then. The Vintage Mustang Forum might be a better place to ask your questions. At the same time anything could have happened, but you seem to be looking to "justify" a C7 cast number late in the 1967 year. Such as August or September. It would be a bit of a stretch, but others on this thread leave that door open. Also due to the strike in the Fall of 1967.

Are you looking for the justification of a C7 block to make your car more "numbers matching"? Or do you have one already? Not sure why you are so reluctant to provide the cast numbers of what you have? Anything "could" have happened, but if it was me with a January 1968 build date, I would be looking for a C8 block with December casted date codes. And heads to match. It would match conventional wisdom to most people. A C7 block will only lead to more questions and scrutiny.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2022, 08:27 PM   #15
J_Speegle

Not sure of the specific question or maybe I got lost in the details and posts. If it helps I have documented examples of the C7 blocks being cast into 1968 by casting date. So usage for those same blocks were likely for months that followed at San Jose

Jeff Speegle
C U @ ConcoursMustang.com
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions