• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Anyone recognise this part?

Stathy

Hello all, sorry I haven't been updating my Green Hornet progress. Just in case anyone is interested I've set up a blog on www.1968stang.com and have pics updating it's progress.

At this point I'm rewiring the engine compartment and have stumbled across a problem. The voltage regulator had some sort of condensor looking doohickey on in with a small wire which has broken off. I've searched high and low to try and locate this part and cannot find reference to it anywhere. It could possibly be a electrical noise suppressor possibly but I can't be certain.

It was mounted on the upper screw on the regulator and the wire went down to the harness.
I've attached a pic. Can anyone help out?

Thanks for your time!

Stan

Attachments

• unknown doohickey.JPG
    unknown doohickey.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 81

J.Bart

yes it's to keep noise from the spark plugs out of your radio

robert campbell

Stan,
We are big ebayers and I know what you mean. Gosh I bet this will cost a whole buck to send in an an envelope!

Give me an address and it is yours! No shippin no cost!

Free is good!

Rob

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Stan,
We are big ebayers and I know what you mean. Gosh I bet this will cost a whole buck to send in an an envelope!

Give me an address and it is yours! No shippin no cost!

Free is good!

Rob

haha..nice Robert :)
I'm an ebay junkie myself. I've been clean for about 3 months now and feel like a new man. I can't tell you the amount of useless item's i've purchased over the years. The good news is after 130 transactions I have yet to be ripped off (knock's on wood).
Thank you soooo much for the offer for the part but I'm probably going to attempt try without it. I'm going to probably put in a stealth kick butt system and will consult with the stereo experts to see what type of suppressor they suggest.

Once again thank you for your gracious offer.

Cheers
Stan

robert campbell

Cool!
By the way, I went to a one wire alternator on my car. If you are thinking of kick butt stereo's you may want to consider a high output alternator.

Rob

J.Bart

Thanks JB. So I take it that if I leave it unplugged it's not going to be detrimental to the operation of my car. Do you actually find that it helps?

Thanks
Stan

i think it would only bother am radios

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Cool!
By the way, I went to a one wire alternator on my car. If you are thinking of kick butt stereo's you may want to consider a high output alternator.

Rob

So after reading your suggestion I thought I'd run out to the garage to get the name and model of the kick butt alternator that I bought just so I could boast about it. It was a Powermaster alternator "slightly used" that I purchased from Ebay. After taking it out of the box for the second time I decided to inspect it and noticed that it looked like it had been dropped at some point and the positive connection was pushed into the alternator slightly.
Not a big deal I thought. So, i thought I'd spin the alternator and noticed that it dragged on the same spot while spinning it. Almost like it wasn't centered properly.
Well...i decided to try and take it apart and I've made matters worse.
Now I need to decide if I'm going to buy a brand new one, or, take it to an alternator shop and see if they can fix it.

So much for my unblemished ebay record :(

Mustanglvr

So after reading your suggestion I thought I'd run out to the garage to get the name and model of the kick butt alternator that I bought just so I could boast about it. It was a Powermaster alternator "slightly used" that I purchased from Ebay. After taking it out of the box for the second time I decided to inspect it and noticed that it looked like it had been dropped at some point and the positive connection was pushed into the alternator slightly.
Not a big deal I thought. So, i thought I'd spin the alternator and noticed that it dragged on the same spot while spinning it. Almost like it wasn't centered properly.
Well...i decided to try and take it apart and I've made matters worse.
Now I need to decide if I'm going to buy a brand new one, or, take it to an alternator shop and see if they can fix it.

So much for my unblemished ebay record :(

Send it back for a replacement. As long as you don't get the same one back.
I'm an Ebay buyer/seller and that is what I would do.

Mustanglvr

Like I said, I have sold a few things on Ebay and what I would do as a seller, is give a refund to you anyway. I would want to keep you as a customer. Does'nt hurt to ask, just explain what happened with it and I'm sure they will understand.

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Like I said, I have sold a few things on Ebay and what I would do as a seller, is give a refund to you anyway. I would want to keep you as a customer. Does'nt hurt to ask, just explain what happened with it and I'm sure they will understand.

I think I should just buy all my parts from you!
Any goodies up for sale?

CougarCJ

Noise suppression components

I finally found the information that I was looking for in an assembly manual.
This is from a 1967 Cougar electrical assembly manual, but 1968 Mustang would still apply.

Capacitor is just a single component of the factory system.

A couple of static pieces are also included in the total package.

A copper strap is used to maintain body to hood contact.

Originally there was also a pinwheel type of static piece in the right front wheel hub. Just behind the grease cap. This part is almost never found on cars 40 plus years after the fact.

franklinair

That's the one! It's just a noise filter condensor attached at the V/R. Mine has one still on it. Couldn't read the Ford P/N on the print. Wonder if they're available if anyone needs one.

Neil

CougarCJ

http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/c6oa-18832-a.html

C6OA-18832-A is the number stamped into the end of the Autolite capacitor. Attaches to one of the lugs on the voltage regulator, bullet lead plugs into wiring harness. Sometimes called a radio ignition interference suppressor. About 1-15/16" inches long. This is one of those small detail items that judges like. Application all Ford and Mercury vehicles from 1966-1971 used this "Autolite" marked capacitor when a radio was installed by the factory.. Starting in 1972 there is a Motorcraft version which has a part number of D2AA-18832-AA, and it is 1-9/16" inches long.

Pretty common actually, I see them in junk yards regularly.

Ruppstang

This is from a 1967 Cougar electrical assembly manual, but 1968 Mustang would still apply.

Originally there was also a pinwheel type of static piece in the right front wheel hub. Just behind the grease cap. This part is almost never found on cars 40 plus years after the fact.

That's cool I allways wondered what that pinwheel was for. Thanks Marty

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Wow this is EXACTLY what my setup looked like. Thank you so much for taking the time to dig up this picture and post it. You and everyone that has helped me are truly class acts.

Amazing the similarities between the two cars. In my next life i'm hoping to come back as a 69 Cougar Eliminator. :thumb:

Cheers and thank you
Stan