• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Barrett-Jackson

rananim

I finally bit the bullet and registered my car with Barrett-Jackson for their 25-27 June auction at Orange County (CA). Since there is no reserve, I will not be driving it home this time! Hope to see you at Knott's this year.
Sven (Rananim)

CougarCJ

Yes, the best of luck with the sale.

Orange County California, is a brand new car auction location for B-J, this will be the first of many, I am sure.

J.Bart

well i have wanted to forget the jan 2010 scottsdale barret-jackson.
from what i saw, if your car doesn't go through at a good time, most cars ,i saw lost alot of money.
1990 thunderbird supercoupe 40,000 miles, nice clean car $1500 if i would have had a bidder number i would have bought it.
the only cars that seemed to bring money were those that got tv time.
and unless you personally know someone with bj don't count on what they tell you.

my brother's car was supposed to go through sat night between 7 pm and 9 pm
it went across at 10:45pm and everybody had gone home

i watched my brother take a $50,000.00 loss on his car.
he didn't have the money to even try to buy it back, and trusted that it would bring the most at barret-jackson

at barret-jackson's it sold at $77,000
at mecum in st. charles ill last november it reached $115,000
he needed about $122,000 to break even
i used to think that bj was the place to sell a car, but after what i saw, i'll let the bank come and get it before i trust barret- jackson.
but it is simple, if you get prime time it will sell good. if not, it probably won't
i pesonally won't trust my finacial future to them. not a no reserve auction.
if you don't protect yourself, well, you'll probaby take a loss

CougarCJ

well i have wanted to forget the jan 2010 scottsdale barret-jackson.
from what i saw, if your car doesn't go through at a good time, most cars ,i saw lost alot of money.
1990 thunderbird supercoupe 40,000 miles, nice clean car $1500 if i would have had a bidder number i would have bought it.
the only cars that seemed to bring money were those that got tv time.
and unless you personally know someone with bj don't count on what they tell you.

my brother's car was supposed to go through sat night between 7 pm and 9 pm
it went across at 10:45pm and everybody had gone home

i watched my brother take a $50,000.00 loss on his car.
he didn't have the money to even try to buy it back, and trusted that it would bring the most at Barret-Jackson

at Barret-Jackson's it sold at $77,000
at Mecum in St. Charles Ill last November it reached $115,000
he needed about $122,000 to break even
i used to think that bj was the place to sell a car, but after what i saw, i'll let the bank come and get it before i trust Barret-Jackson.
but it is simple, if you get prime time it will sell good. if not, it probably won't
I personally won't trust my financial future to them. not a no reserve auction.
if you don't protect yourself, well, you'll probably take a loss

I'm not sure that I would put a lot of blame on the auction house for not getting "B-J money" as they say.
I don't know what kind of car your brother owned (was it the 1969 Z11 Camaro?), I was there Saturday night with that 428CJ Cougar convertible. That car went through after 9pm, initial schedule called for 7-7:30.

Bargains were to be had on classic Camaro's, Corvette's, and Mustangs.
Too much supply and not enough demand, kept these cars' prices down.

These cars are not fetching the record high prices of a couple of years ago.

robert campbell

Scott is right on. The muscle car market is soft as we all know. Jbart, my brother has a 1992 Supercoupe. Paid almost $10k for it at the height of the "boom". Wow, what a deal on a 1990. Wish I was there! I would have snapped that bad boy up!

Rob

di81977

How about a 1987 Buick GNX selling at BJ this year for, get this, $104,500. Sure, it was a 1200 mile time capsule, but come on. Guess cars of the 80's and up are starting to appreciate. Late 70's and up Trans Ams seem to be getting decent money. Go figure.

Sven, good luck with your car.

david

CougarCJ

How about a 1987 Buick GNX selling at BJ this year for, get this, $104,500. Sure, it was a 1200 mile time capsule, but come on. Guess cars of the 80's and up are starting to appreciate. Late 70's and up Trans Ams seem to be getting decent money. Go figure.

Sven, good luck with your car.

david

Huge difference between a Buick Grand National and the GNX.

robert campbell

Huge difference between a Buick Grand National and the GNX.

Scott,
Enlighten me on the GNX and Grand National. Seen some stuff on them, but at $100k for a GNX inquiring minds need to know!!! Just in case I run into one!

Rob

di81977

Rob,

I believe it was a one year car, built by McLaren. Little over 500 produced. Under 5 second 0-60 - in comfort.

david

J.Bart

i think the point is being missed.
$115,000.00 at a less renown auction two months prior.
at barret jacksons $77,000.00
difference = primetime versus after primetime
barret jacksons is a "BIG" gamble. my brother, i believe paid extra money for the sat. night prime time slot, and didn't get it. he had over $$100,000.00 in the car.
he might go bankrupt and lose everything because of this.
from my perspective, why go to barret jackson's and take the risk of a huge loss.
there are other auctions out there that are a better solution to a car seller.
if your going to take a car there, then you had better have your investment protected.
you better have someone set up to buy the car back and be prepared to spend the money to do so.
but if you want to just dump the car, well???

J.Bart

it will be worth more down the road, like wine it needs time.
it was a 427 shelby super snake conv.. but here is the catch.
it was the only 427 super snake on display inside the neon garage race weekend.
that race was the first time shelby had anything to do with nascar.
and it was autographed by 20 nascar drivers, team owners and crew chiefs that weekend.
he would have let the car go at mecum for $122,000.00
but one would think that if it hit $115,000.00 at mecum, it should bring $125,000.00 at barret jackson's. i think it would have if it would have went during primetime like
they said it would. barret jackson's are unbelieveably expert when it comes to marketing the auction. we trusted what we were told by barret jackson's, and i won't make that mistake again

gofastguy

it will be worth more down the road

I think these are the key words here. It's probably just way too early to expect to make money on a late model Shelby, especially after apparently buying an early one way over msrp...

J.Bart

$115,000.00 at mecum should have meant $150,000.00 at barret jackson's
atleast that's what barret jackson's want's everyone to believe.

i heard that russo used to be in with barret jackson, and that he left because he didn't like the way barret jackson was running their auction.
if i ever go back to barret jackson, i'll be a buyer not a seller.
unless i have autobillia, that stuff was doing well.

robert campbell

Jbart,
This is a perfect example of the risk that people take when cars are nothing more than an investment. They expect to make money. I have lost literally thousands and thousands of dollars over the years! Tell your brother, welcome to the club! I sold a 1968 Shelby GT-500 KR for $4k in 1975. Big deal, life goes on....

To take anything, purchased in the bubble, two or three years ago and expect to sell it today for the same or more is foolish at best.

With me, cars are a passion to drive and enjoy. They are not an investment, and I never expect to make money on them. I have never been disappointed!

If the complete bottom fell out of the Mustang market tomorrow, I could care less. I drive them for my personal enjoyment only!

I bought my first Mustang in 1972 in a town that loved "chebys"! I still drive them today! I have never, and will never be, disappointed about the value of my car. If you are, then you are in it for the wrong reason and you WILL be disappointed.

Rob

J.Bart

it's not about market, it doesn't change that much in two months.
it's about barret jackson, and the way they are perceived as the holy grail of car auctions.

i was in market delusion, then i took a trip to the land of oz, and to the emerald city.
and i went before the wizard............and yes i saw the guy behind the curtain....

if a car sells for $38,000.00 less, two months later, at barrett jacksons then why should i ever take a car to barret jackson's to sell???????????????????????????????????????
i'll try again at mecum and hope for $125,000.00
atleast with mecum, i have a say so if my car sells or not.