• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Cosmetic Questions - Keeping it correct

Cool Manchu

Hi everyone,

While I have nothing but time on my hands in regards to getting my CS from the shop, I have been thinking about what I need.

I have done some research and wanted to see if I was on the right track for keeping true to original look/parts.

Some of this stuff might be a tad mundane, but I just want to make sure I am doing it right the first time.

Thank you in advance for your insights, it is greatly appreciated as always.

Wiper blades:
1964-1968 Mustang Windshield Wiper Blade Refills 15"
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Wiper/wiper-blade.htm

Decal kit:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/decal-kit-14-piece-1968/p/DK4/

Trunk mat kit:
http://www.missourimustang.com/1967-trunk-mat-burtex-plaid/

Spare tire cover:
http://www.missourimustang.com/spare-tire-cover-14-inch/

Door speaker grilles
http://www.missourimustang.com/1967-68-door-speaker-grilles/

somethingspecial

It all depends on where you want to take your car, A restored driver, or a Concours Restored car.

Wiper Blades: You should have the original arms on your car according to my photos of the car. If they are in good shape, use those. The original arms were satin stainless, where the Scott Drake repops are polished stainless. Just replace the wiper blades.

Decal Kit: These kits are generic for several year cars and have several decals you will not use. in 68', there were no "Caution Fan" and "Front" decals used. Yours is a small block car and the tuning decal for the valve cover should be correct. The battery test decal is wrong for a San Jose build Mustang. Check with Jeff Speegle, who makes the correct decal for San Jose built cars complete with your build date, and SJ inspector mark. The Spare tire mounting decal for the trunk is correct for stock wheel, if you plan on putting Styled Steel Wheels on the car with a SS wheel spare, you need to get a different decal. Correct decal for SS wheels is C8ZB-17093-D. Scott Fuller Reproductions makes the correct steel mounting disc for the SS wheel spare.(different from stock wheel disc) http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/page/page/4594567.htm

Trunk Mat: This is correct.

Spare Tire Cover: The cars never left the factory with a spare tire cover. A nice touch, I have one in my driver car, but I have found they sweat and cause rust on the wheels if not checked.

Door Speaker Grilles: Your car is not equipped with the deluxe interior, so it did not have the speaker grilles. Unless you intend to add door speakers and/or someone has added them in the past, not necessary. An expensive venture if you do add them. Check with Marty (Ruppstang) or Rob Campbell about this.

Hope this helps. Mike

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Mike,
I don't think the deluxe interior was a requirement for the speaker grilles. I had a car with a standard interior and an 8-track that had the factory door speakers.

green56

Cosmetic ?

How do you get hold of Jeff Speegle to get a decal kit for the 68

somethingspecial

Arlie, Cools car came with an AM radio, so I believe this deleted the door grilles. (my bad on the deluxe interior) Thanks for correcting me. LOL

Jeff Speegle is a member here and checks in regularly. He is also a Moderator on ConcoursMustang.com http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php. Try contacting him there for the Battery Test decal, he'll need your production date. If you have trouble contacting him, let me know, I can call him. (Don't know if he wants me to post his number) or I'll PM it to you if you cant find him through normal channels.

OP
OP
Cool Manchu

Cool Manchu

Mike,
I don't think the deluxe interior was a requirement for the speaker grilles. I had a car with a standard interior and an 8-track that had the factory door speakers.

From the research I have done, it was in fact the 8-track option that gave you the stereo speaker option, which in turn required the speaker panels.

I know it's not correct, but I don't want to have speakers visible in the car.

Ruppstang

The lower door grills were use if you ordered a Deluxe interior, a 8 track stereo or a AM -FM radio in 68 not 67.
Marty

dalorzo_f

Not 100% sure, but have seen quite a few 68's with the spatter, not plaid, trunk mat. The one in my (basically) one owner GT/CS has the burtex spatter the sure looked like it could have been original...

OP
OP
Cool Manchu

Cool Manchu

Thanks Dalorzo. From what I have read, I wouldn't be surprised. I have seen claims that typically if it came from San Jose that it had the Burtex Plaid, while East Coast shops would use the Splatter.

However, I will leave up the fact on this to someone who really knows. :)

Personally, I am going to go with the plaid when I do replace it. I like the look better. If I can get in touch with the original owner again, I will ask him if he recalls what it had originally, because mine is gone.

somethingspecial

My 68 San Jose built J code coupe built May of 68 had the splatter pattern trunk mat and it was original. My understanding is the cars could have had either depending on supply on hand.

robert campbell

From the research I have done, it was in fact the 8-track option that gave you the stereo speaker option, which in turn required the speaker panels.

I know it's not correct, but I don't want to have speakers visible in the car.

So your doors are set up to screw on the door grills to cover the speakers? I assume your car does not have the door lights? Might be a nice upgrade. I sent Marty's template to Bret in Seattle. So your doors have the speaker cut out in them?

Rob

OP
OP
Cool Manchu

Cool Manchu

Hi Robert, I was having a discussion with a fellow member here on CS.com and he noticed from the pictures that my car does in fact have speaker grilles. He came up with an idea that it was part of the convenience group package, which came with the door lights. However, I don't have any speakers currently behind the grilles, nor were any there previously.

This is conjecture, but I thought it was a good idea. I will confirm if I have lights once we get the engine back in. And if someone knows if the connection with the convenience group and the door lights on the lower door panels sounds right. :)

Ruppstang

, I don't have any speakers currently behind the grilles, nor were any there previously.

This is conjecture, but I thought it was a good idea. I will confirm if I have lights once we get the engine back in. And if someone knows if the connection with the convenience group and the door lights on the lower door panels sounds right. :)

I stated above when you could have had factory door grills. The only time that you could have had the grill with out the speakers would have been with a Deluxe interior. If you do not have the lights or the speakers why do you have the grills? The door grills and lights have nothing to do with the Convenience group.
Marty

robert campbell

I stated above when you could have had factory door grills. The only time that you could have had the grill with out the speakers would have been with a Deluxe interior. If you do not have the lights or the speakers why do you have the grills? The door grills and lights have nothing to do with the Convenience group.
Marty

+one on that Marty. But if he wants to convert, your template is ready and I have a match to it! But it is a lot of work!

Rob

OP
OP
Cool Manchu

Cool Manchu

Well, I hope to find out how mine ended up with speaker grilles then. I plan on going up to bring the last parts for the restoration in a couple of weeks. I will take some pics if anyone cares to see anything closer.

I will also try and get in touch with the original owner and see if he can provide any insight on the speaker kick panels, and a few other things that are curious.

10407272_10152093820476408_3178752152509743005_n.jpg

Ruppstang

If you have a Marti Report one of the options I mentioned will be listed if not some one added them along the way. BTW if you like the look add the speakers and lights. I am just telling you what is correct.
Marty

68sunlitgold

As Marty stated the convenience group does not come with the door grilles, it did give you the 'door ajar' wiring in the door. That being said, there is wiring that goes to the door that could bundle the speaker, light and door ajar together but it was not required. FYI the bundled wiring is available as a repo.

Doug

franklinair

I like the look of the lower door grill, and have added them when I install a Deluxe interior just because I think it looks better. But I don't add the speakers or courtesy lights for a few reasons: For audio, the kick panel speakers are larger and sound better, the courtesy lights are not as effective as the under dash type lights. And due to those two reasons I don't consider the cost (door lights & harness) and added work of cutting the lower door worthwhile.
As Marty said, this is not factory/concourse correct. Just my personal preference.

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 046 (3).jpg
    Green GTCS 046 (3).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

robert campbell

Well, I hope to find out how mine ended up with speaker grilles then. I plan on going up to bring the last parts for the restoration in a couple of weeks. I will take some pics if anyone cares to see anything closer.

I will also try and get in touch with the original owner and see if he can provide any insight on the speaker kick panels, and a few other things that are curious.

10407272_10152093820476408_3178752152509743005_n.jpg

If you remove the door grill and the door has push in plastic "screw anchors" for the door grill screws it was more than likely factory installed to the door you are looking at. Many cars over the years got donor doors from other cars. That can add to the puzzle.

If there are just holes in the metal for the door grill screws they are more than likely an add on. It takes a lot of time with a small file to make the correct square holes for the plastic anchors. I just converted two cars this winter to add the door grills. cutting the door light holes and speaker holes is very time consuming. I personally like the door lights! They look very nice at night! You can source a much better speaker for the door than Ford offered in 1968. I like to mount speakers in metal and have never been a huge fan of the kick panel ones, but they are way easier to install.

Do you know if the doors are original to your car. The data plate on the drivers door in old condition is a good indication. If it looks fresh and new it may be new one on another door. With the door panels off you can look over the inside of the doors for sheet metal stamped dates. If they are somewhat consistent with the rest of the date codes on the fenders and such you more than likely have the original doors.

Dates that are far apart in their stamping on the same car are suspicious, but not the end all. Weird things happened and who knows what dark corner a line worker may have found a piece to keep the line running!

Rob