• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Firewall insulation

retroman99

I am about to install the firewall insulation and upon inspection of the insulation I purchased from NPD it was provided with 7 of the rubber plugs that are pressed thru the metal firewall used to secure the insulation in place. the insulation appears to have 7 cutouts for the plugs but my firewall doesn't have all the holes specifically it is missing the 4 on the extreme ends. it looks like I have maybe 2-3 of the holes that the insulation has. I have a 289 auto with no A/C. anybody got some advice. I have circled the holes in the pictures

Attachments

• firewall insulation2.jpg
    firewall insulation2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 29
  • firewall insulation3.jpg
    firewall insulation3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 25
  • firewall insulation1.jpg
    firewall insulation1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 21

dalorzo_f

Factory only used 3, if I recall right. One by the heater box, one up high in the middle above the fusebox, and one by the pedals...

FMA shows a screw and washer and AMK provides it int eh lit, but never seen one on an original car or know where its supposed to go.

One trick for installing is take a small pan/round head bolt that just fits inside the rubber plug sleeve, and sticks out the end when pushed all the way in by about 1". Put a double nut on the bolt. Push the bolt in to the end of the plug, stop the nut about 1/4" above the face of the plug. Tighten the second nut to hold them there. Put some silicone spray on the outer surface of the plug. You can now push on the bolt and stretch the plug a little bit, but not blow out the other end. You may have to play with the "stretch" length.

Not sure what Ford used to install them but am convinced it was some similar tool as they are a complete PITA to install... or at least were for me before this tool was developed...

OP
OP
R

retroman99

thanks for the advice on the plug installation tool. sounds like it will work better than brut strength. I see the ones your talking about so ill use just those 3 and I guess glue ? is this supposed to be glued to the firewall? at the ends?