• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Google News Archives

BroadwayBlue

This looks like a fairly new search feature on Google.

You can search news archives (no more microfiche in the library huh?)

I did a search on gt/cs for 1968 and came up with these pages.

Some articles and advertisements. I'm thinking of doing the 7 day trial to get some articles and ads to print.

Would be cool to find an ad from your GT/CS dealer.

I can see Skycrest Ford, Canoga Park Ford, Downey Ford ...

gt/cs search for 1968
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=gt%2Fcs&btnG=Search+Archives&hl=en&um=1&scoring=t&as_ldate=1968&as_hdate=1968

california special search for 1968
http://news.google.com/archivesearc...+Archives&num=20&as_ldate=1968&as_hdate=1968\

Looks like some interesting reading like a 390 4speed for sale in the early 70's - there are actually a lot of CS's for sale in the early 70's it seems.

And this article about attending a Rolling Stones concert in 1972 ..."As I recall, three or four of us, friends from Mayfield High School, packed into a Mustang California Special and came up from Las Cruces to join the crowd outside The Pit by midafternoon."

Last edited:

case12

WOW! This is a really good find! Bravo!

Paul, you better take a look at these! Great for the book!

The Pasadena one even quotes Lee Grey (they have him as S. Grey, but it appears their text converter is still missing letters).

I would LOVE to find an add from Pasadena Motors (where my CS was sold).

Casey

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I shot off a message to Paul earlier - wasn't sure if he's been to the site recently.

After opening up the years to go beyond 1968 there were a lot for sale it seems in classifieds or dealer ads.

Pretty cool huh?

Luckily it seems a number of California papers are already in their archives. If you go to the site the Google links take you to you can see what papers are available so far.

I even found an article in a Kansas City newspaper on PFSlim's (Paul Stevenson) car.

case12

I joined for the 7 day trial thing. Pulled down as many ads as I could think to search on. I searched in 1968 California for GT/CS, GTCS, GT-CS, California Special, Riverside Raceway (1967) and Lee Grey. I was able to find about 12 good ads. This is cool. The only thing is having to probably go back in a few months when they have added more newspapers. Casey

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I joined for the 7 day trial thing. Pulled down as many ads as I could think to search on. I searched in 1968 California for GT/CS, GTCS, GT-CS, California Special, Riverside Raceway (1967) and Lee Grey. I was able to find about 12 good ads. This is cool. The only thing is having to probably go back in a few months when they have added more newspapers. Casey

Hi Casey,
That's cool. I was planning on doing the same thing. Did you think it was worth it?
Were there some articles too? I found some that looked like "announcements" of upcoming cars. I noticed a lot came up if you changed the date to beyond 68 and went to 80 for example. A lot of ads there too - not sure if they were used dealer ads or classifieds.

case12

Here are some examples. Most others are similar, but different dates. Casey

Attachments

• 9812272.pdf
    219 KB · Views: 59
  • 46361892.pdf
    136.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 49456298.pdf
    313.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 49932708.pdf
    318.6 KB · Views: 42
P

PNewitt

I think it's really great at what Broadway Blue has found here for us --and Casey's getting it for us to see.

There is a LOT of history in these ads. Get a look at the dates of the papers, too. Some dealers even list what they have--and in what colors!

What we need now are any dealer ads for the GT/CS in other cities that got the car later--like Phoenix, Salt Lake, Seattle, Portland, and Dallas (among many). If you go by the registry--and see the build dates for those DSOs, it will guide you to when to look for these ads (add about a week to three weeks to the build date to look for the newspaper print date).

Paul N.