• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

high country special or not?

tf_66hcs

hello everyone, my name is tad franklin and im new to the forum. i have a question about a mustang i recently purchased. it was sold as a 66 hcs. the dso # begins with 51 (510230) to be exact. it has a blank color code, hcs badges, a yellow paint (aspen gold???) under a light yellow paint, from san jose plant, and sold in denver, co. however, the build date code is one month early as compared to what the rest of the 333 were supposedly to been dated. mine is june (sold in july at courtesy motors), others have been listed as july. ive heard dealers could get some early, is this true? could mine be a demo? or early production? also i realize all of fords records from 66 back have been destroyed. is it a fact to assume all 66 hcs had the same build date or is this info derived from numerous articles over the years? anymore info on this topic or related topics would be greatly appreciated and extremely helpful....also, i am having trouble locating a dupont or ppg paint code for aspen gold. does anyone know what the paintcode might be or where i could find it. thanks. tad.

Mosesatm

I can help you with the paint code. This is from a thread a month or so ago.

The Aspen Gold color was a 1966 and 1967 color as was Columbine Blue. The Timberline Green on the other hand was different for 1966 (solid) and 1967 (metallic).

Somehow very few people know this and this info is left out on web sites because they don’t know better.

Color *** Ditzler DuPont Ford
Aspen Gold (H) 81434 93-96705 MX708815***
Columbine Blue (H) 11666 75757 MX700852
Timberline Green (H) 42750 76358-H MX7041278 (1966)
Timberline Green *** 93-83789 MX7041537 (1967)

Stefan

Here is the thread
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2250&highlight=aspen+gold

If you do a search on "aspen gold" you will find various threads relating to it.

Mustanglvr

hcsstang said:
Have you contacted Bob Teets ,he's the authority on HCS's. His website name is high country bob.

His user name is HighCountryBob. He does`nt have his own website that I know of. Just wanted to clear that up. :grin:

hicountrybob

tf_66hcs said:
hello everyone, my name is tad franklin and im new to the forum. i have a question about a mustang i recently purchased. it was sold as a 66 hcs. the dso # begins with 51 (510230) to be exact. it has a blank color code, hcs badges, a yellow paint (aspen gold???) under a light yellow paint, from san jose plant, and sold in denver, co. however, the build date code is one month early as compared to what the rest of the 333 were supposedly to been dated. mine is june (sold in july at courtesy motors), others have been listed as july. ive heard dealers could get some early, is this true? could mine be a demo? or early production? also i realize all of fords records from 66 back have been destroyed. is it a fact to assume all 66 hcs had the same build date or is this info derived from numerous articles over the years? anymore info on this topic or related topics would be greatly appreciated and extremely helpful....also, i am having trouble locating a dupont or ppg paint code for aspen gold. does anyone know what the paintcode might be or where i could find it. thanks. tad.
Tad, If you would, call me one evening 303-424-3866. You have too many questions right now to type a good response here on our site but we'll post some answers after we talk. Please have all your vin. tag #'s at the phone when you call and we'll see what you have. Also, be thinking of where you heard this "dealers could get these cars early" stuff. I'll be listening for you. Thanks, hicountrybob Teets

OP
OP
T

tf_66hcs

high country?? reply

Thanks everyone for your response. I will be contacting you mr. teets this evening or by this weekend to figure out what i have exactly...thanks. also wanted to let everyone know i called dupont about the aspen gold paint code. my local paint shop was unable to locate aspen gold so we contacted dupont. they searched for the code. the code exists but the paint is obsolete. they explained that the paint was never converted to todays paint formula's. the paint cannot be precisely mixed to match the exact color of aspen gold. a close paint however is a 1989 chrysler malibu yellow.

hicountrybob

tf_66hcs said:
Thanks everyone for your response. I will be contacting you mr. teets this evening or by this weekend to figure out what i have exactly...thanks. also wanted to let everyone know i called dupont about the aspen gold paint code. my local paint shop was unable to locate aspen gold so we contacted dupont. they searched for the code. the code exists but the paint is obsolete. they explained that the paint was never converted to todays paint formula's. the paint cannot be precisely mixed to match the exact color of aspen gold. a close paint however is a 1989 chrysler malibu yellow.
Tad, I still haven't heard from you. Are you still out there????????? hicountry bob here.

CalPaul

"1989 chrysler malibu yellow"!? My reaction to this is like the salsa commercial a few years back where the cowboys say "New York City!?" How can a Chrysler paint be put on a Ford....criminy......

OP
OP
T

tf_66hcs

mr.teets,
yep im still here, i left you a voicemail a couple weeks back, sorry i havent followed up, been extremely busy with work. i am in the eastern time zone, let me know what a good time/day is to call you. thanks again.
tad.

OP
OP
T

tf_66hcs

CalPaul said:
"1989 chrysler malibu yellow"!? My reaction to this is like the salsa commercial a few years back where the cowboys say "New York City!?" How can a Chrysler paint be put on a Ford....criminy......

i agree, unfortunately it is the closest match to aspen gold that i have come across. still looking. Any suggestions??
thanks,
Tad

hicountrybob

tf_66hcs said:
mr.teets,
yep im still here, i left you a voicemail a couple weeks back, sorry i havent followed up, been extremely busy with work. i am in the eastern time zone, let me know what a good time/day is to call you. thanks again.
tad.
Tad, you can reach me any evening up to 11:00 Denver time at home 303-424-3866 (ck with your phone co) or their phone books which shows you the time difference and we'll talk and clear up some of these mysteries including the paint code in which I believe another site member has already responded. I'm also aware that you are concerned about your build date, among other things. Let's talk! Do not call tomorrow evening (WED) as we are going out for dinner. Thank you, Hi Country Bob Teets here.

OP
OP
T

tf_66hcs

66 hcs?

hicountrybob said:
Tad, you can reach me any evening up to 11:00 Denver time at home 303-424-3866 (ck with your phone co) or their phone books which shows you the time difference and we'll talk and clear up some of these mysteries including the paint code in which I believe another site member has already responded. I'm also aware that you are concerned about your build date, among other things. Let's talk! Do not call tomorrow evening (WED) as we are going out for dinner. Thank you, Hi Country Bob Teets here.

sorry i missed you again... left you a voice mail, if you dont get it, i stated that i will try to call you this weekend when were both not so busy or if you have free long distance you can call my cell at 740-395-1619... i belive ohio is 2 hours ahead of denver time. also my email address is ssnova1@adelphia.net...thanks,

tad