• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

I am so old now that...

meadowsdk28

I am so old now that stuff that I wore back in the day that was the height of fashion is now too old for me to wear, according to my son. For instance, remember in about 75 or 76 the rage was the brand new design of sneaker (sneaker?!?) that was blue with the 4 white stripes on the side? Adidas was the top company selling these but there were many knock offs. I had a pair, my sister had a pair. Heck, the the whole school had them. I saw them in the store the other night and got nostalgic. My son informed my I was too "old" to wear a pair of those. How can I be too old if I was there in the beginning??? It's like all these songs coming out now. I start to sing along and my kids think I'm being some sort of poser dad. I've tryed to explain to them I haven't learned any new words, just remembering 20 year old lyrics. They don't buy it. Any other examples? Oh yeah, don't forgetr those "dock" shoes they want $50 for now. Guess it happens to every generation.

luisa2552

Doesn't it just kill you?? I'll try on a pair of fasionable jeans and my oldest daughter says with all of her nine years of wisdom,"You can't wear THOSE- you're too old!!!" But it's ok with her I drive the coolest car in town!
Sara

hookedtrout

Adidas, oh yea, our whole basketball team wore Adidas, not sure if there was anything else available back then. And after the game it was a pair of wide legged Hash jeans with the Star on the pocket or painter jeans. $50 a pair in the day. Man I bet I'd still look hot in a new pair of Hash jeans and some Adidas. ;D

Hook

68gt390

Let's see, what can I remember? Hair down around your shoulders, tie dye shirt, bell bottom jeans and, oh yes let's not forget the "CONVERSE" tennies. Man you talk about a culture clash. Flower power man, that was the way to go.

Don ;D

Mosesatm

Ok Don, now we know why you are listed as a "Sr Member".!! :D

Mosesatm

Count all the ones that you remember-NOT the ones you were told about!

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottle
5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive - 6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Beanie and Cecil
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You are still young

If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age

If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

quicknick

I still wear my Converse All Star (Chuck Taylor) hightops today. I have been wearing them since I was 6 yrs. old and no other shoe will do.
It has kinda become my trademark over the years. I even wore them at my wedding! Black hightops of course to match my tux.
I have many colors....black, red, white, and my flames for the car shows.
The kids in hte neighborhood think I'm "cool". I'm known as the old guy with the Mustang and the "Chucks".

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=4;threadid=1757;start=0#msg11199 date=1117889995]
Count all the ones that you remember-NOT the ones you were told about!

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottle
5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
7. Party lines
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age

[/quote]

Hook ;)

OP
OP
meadowsdk28

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=4;threadid=1757;start=0#msg11199 date=1117889995]

8. Newsreels before the movie - We had the Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons before the show.

13. Howdy Doody - Captain Kangaroo, but close

18. Mimeograph paper - remember that smell?

20. Beanie and Cecil - This was one I flat just didn't know
[/quote]

Over 20...guess I'm dirt

By the way, my kid is wearing PF Flyers and he's 19.

hcsstang

I can remember when the movies were 16 cents and the good western movies , Rocky Lane ,Roy Rodgers, Lone Ranger and last Gabby Hayes. One Sun we attend a few Antique malls and I get a kick out of my wife saying that she had one of the toys when she was little . Those days are long gone. Just remember. One thing gas 25 cents a gallon. Maybe it was less than that.
About 25 years ago my son ran across a Shelby for sale and he wanted me to get it, but If I just had some extra funds then. Another time we went to a car show and a CJ was for sale again I wish. That my life so I ended up with a HCS and that is the only time that I listened to him. 8) ;D

Mustanglvr

I remember back in the day when there was a muscle car at every stop light. In the early 80`s I used to love racing my 73 chevy orange Camaro from light to light. 8) It was a thrill when my mom would let me drive her 70 Mach1 Mustang. She never knew I raced it. :-X Thank goodness I never wrecked it. :D Rhonda

390cs68rcode

I was born in 1970, so my "growing up days" were the 80's. Somebody make a list like mosesatm's for the 80's........please ;D

nfrntau

I'm not to old. After all that the only thing that sticks in my head is Sara in those jeans and Rhondas comment about winning wet T-shirt contests the other day ;D ;D

I don't think anybody mentioned:

Blue chip stamps. I found one while cleaning up my Mustang after I got it last September

Bubble gum cigars for 5 cents

The bread delivery truck

Newspaper boys on bicycles

Having to wait for your day to buy gas, odd or even

luisa2552

Blue chip stamps.

I remember saving the stamps all year then my mom would take us to the Blue Chip store (or whatever they called it) at the beginning of summer and we'd shop. I'd always get a red rubber 4-square ball.
Have drive-in-movies been mentioned? Where I live they went extinct years ago.
Sara

68gt390

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=4;threadid=1757;start=0#msg11198 date=1117888248]
Ok Don, now we know why you are listed as a "Sr Member".!! :D
[/quote]

You know what they say - things get better with age. Maybe that's why we all love our CS's.

Sara;
We still have a drive-in here on the eastside of town that is open on weekends. Although last I heard they were planning on shutting it down after this year. The good old days of taking the big pontiac and filling up the trunk with all your friends just to get in free.

Don ;D

luisa2552

The good old days of taking the big pontiac and filling up the trunk with all your friends just to get in free.

Don you must have known me!!!! My parents had a 65 Pontiac Tempest they gave to me and thats exactly what I used to do!
Sara

Mustanglvr

I think those were called S&H green stamps.
When I was 6 years old I had my very own pair of white Go-Go boots. I wore them everywhere. My mom surprised me at school one day with a big floppy hat to wear with them. Boy, was I a sight! ;D
Rhonda

hookedtrout

We still have a couple of operating drive in theaters in the valley. Last time I went I slept through half the first movie and all the second and woke up to an empty theater lot with my wife asleep on my shoulder and our son asleep on hers. ::)

Hook