• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 My GT/SC finally made it to Australia

CraigB

I have been lurking on the board for a few years now, I have always been fascinated by the GT/CS and its unique part of Mustang lore. I have just taken delivery of my 68 GT/CS, it is an Acapulco Blue J Code. According to the Marti report she was built on 20 March 1968, I was born on the 31 March 1968 so she and I already share a close bond. It took me a few months and a few dramas to get her to Australia but she is here now and it was worth it. She will be sharing a garage with my 67 GTA Brittany Blue 390 convertible. The GTA is not a concourse car but close and also being a 390 so she has stayed as a Left Hand Drive original car. I am going to have a bit of fun with GT/CS so I can make her a bit more of a daily driver. I just dropped her off for a Right Hand Drive conversion and will be adding headers and a few other performance bits plus a new classic air conditioner.

You will probably see me posting a few bits and pieces as I like to get others opinions on some of the mods I am going to do.

I am also interested to hear from any Aussies on the board that have GT/CS's as I have not seen many in Australia and I certainly have not seen a right hand drive one yet.

Craig

gt bandit

Hi Craig ,

I am in the west and have a J/R code car with a few neat added extras. There are a few CS in Oz , 3 i know of in WA and there was a right hook car in SA a few years ago.

Mine is off the road at the moment , awaiting a few bits from RON.

this forum is mighty helpful and I couldnt have found a nicer bunch of folks to converse with over the internet - I have sacked all other forums except for this and the MOCAU forum.

good luck with your car and post some pics soon.

regards

shaun

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Congrats on your new toy Craig. Break out the digital camera and let's see it!

G'day Craig,
Great to see another Cal Spec in OZ what state are you in, Im in country S.A., I beleive my J code was the first here (70 or 71) so its had a few owners but is a great daily driver and will sit next to my 69 mach 1 c/jet, (resto complete in June), mine was converted to right hand drive in the 70's, good luck with your new car

Jar

Last edited:
OP
OP
CraigB

CraigB

It is great to hear that there are a few GT/CS's in Australia. I am in Sydney.

Here are some photos of my car. There are a few things that need doing, the hood needs to be realigned, the trunk needs to be repainted and I need to get the front end back to its original height, a previous owner had done the Shelby mod which I don't like. There are other little things like aligning the bumpers properly, making the windows wind properly etc. Nothing big.

Craig

Attachments

• Cali Girl Rear.jpg
    Cali Girl Rear.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 38
  • Cali Girl Side.jpg
    Cali Girl Side.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Cali Girl angle.jpg
    Cali Girl angle.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Cali Girl Front.jpg
    Cali Girl Front.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Cali Girl Rear angle.jpg
    Cali Girl Rear angle.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 35

PFSlim

Sweet!! Where did she come from?? Did you buy it from a member of the site?

Man, if only I had a car that color!! :)

Paul

PonyGal

Sweet!! Where did she come from?? Did you buy it from a member of the site?

Man, if only I had a car that color!! :)

Paul

Hey Paul, I have one in that color that I might be talked into selling to you :grin:

Nope, on second thought, I don't think I will part with her anytime soon!

clubpro

Craig,

I'm curious who is doing your right hand drive conversion? The gentleman that did all of the work on my car is now living south of you in Douglas Park which is south of Campbelltown. He lived in the U.S. for 10 years and I was lucky enough to have him restore the body on my car. His name is Kerry McDonagh and his company is called Down Under Restorations. He did a right hand drive conversion on a 69 Mach 1 that was absolutely perfect and he did a 66 convertible that expert Mustang judges couldn't tell had been converted. If you didn't know that Ford didn't make any right hand drive Mustangs you would have thought that the two cars were factory. You have a great car and welcome to the family.

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
CraigB

CraigB

The car is in the registry but the seller was not a member of the site. It came out of Sacramento from a fantastic guy who really loved his mustangs. I could not have asked for a more professional, enthusiastic, HONEST, seller. I never even looked at the car before purchase and it was everything he said it was, took photos of every angle I asked for etc. This is my 3rd mustang I have imported to Australia so I sort of have the contacts and know the pitfalls.

As for the right hand drive conversion it is being done by a guy call Mike O'Sullivan in north western Sydney, many of the Australian concourse winners have been either restore, converted or both by Mike.

CraigB

vman

Hey Craig. Good to see it arrived and your happy with it. Have attatched a photo of another blue cs with rhd. This was at a recent show in the Melbourne area. In Vicoria I know of 5 including my own.

Attachments

• 106_2005.jpg
    106_2005.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 106_2006.jpg
    106_2006.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 29