• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New Addition

hookedtrout

Well I've been looking for quite some time to replace an old love I once had. A 1953 F-100 that I put a ton of time and energy in to and sold so I could buy my first home, which I still have.

Several reasons I wanted to find another classic Ford truck, one of them so I would have something to hone back in my welding and body and paint skills that I haven't practiced for oh...about 25+ years, dang I'm getting old. This will allow me to work on my skills and get brave enough to start the work on my Mustang now that I have a shop to do it all.

Anyway I just bought a 1962 shortbed Unibody Ford F-100. Supposed to run and drive great. I will be making a road trip this weekend to pick it up and I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I get the dang thing back home. Wish me luck on the trip, we still have a ton of snow and it's been about 12 below zero all day here.

As a side note, we had the Food Network in filming at our processing plant for one of their shows, a lot of excitement here needless to say.

Attached a little picture of what it will aspire to be!!

P.S. you'll notice, unlike someone else here my seeking out a truck project was certainly a blue oval! ;-)

Attachments

• Unibody f100.jpg
    Unibody f100.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Get them both all fixed up and I can use the 62 to pull the 68 around? Be a sweet little pulling rig with some air ride on the back end. So all you gearheads, what would be a good solid, reliable, powerful motor to drop in the 62?

Mosesatm

<snip>
P.S. you'll notice, unlike someone else here my seeking out a truck project was certainly a blue oval! ;-)

Well there is a '71 Cheyenne in Boise I was thinking of asking you to take a look at for me.:tongue:

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

I'd go take a look but Boise is about 4-5 hours for me, in all honesty I came really close to buying a 72 Chev in Sugar City, Idaho, odd thing is I like the long box in the 70's Chev pickups better than I do the short box but I do understand why you're looking at them, I have always liked them myself. Worked out for me that I found a Ford. I think it will look a lot better to have a Ford towing the Mustang, mind you it won't be to take it to the show but more to visit one of you guys knowing that I'll have to deal with what ever car show you guys are at along the way. ;-)

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Anyone ever own a 60's Ford F-100? Can I get some 24" wheels under there? Just kidding!! I would like to know what some of the issues are if there are any? Knowing it's a Ford it's probably unlikely.

rvrtrash

Get them both all fixed up and I can use the 62 to pull the 68 around? Be a sweet little pulling rig with some air ride on the back end. So all you gearheads, what would be a good solid, reliable, powerful motor to drop in the 62?

If you don't mind dropping some money, I'd look into buying one of those new 5.0 crate motors from Ford, with a 6 speed, modern front suspension and steering and a 4 link in the back. That would wake the old girl up.

Steve

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

If you don't mind dropping some money, I'd look into buying one of those new 5.0 crate motors from Ford, with a 6 speed, modern front suspension and steering and a 4 link in the back. That would wake the old girl up.

Steve

How much are we talking? I'm sure it requires all the electronics and computer stuff, correct? From what I remember of my old 53, F100 there's enough room under the hood of those old monsters to stuff anything you want in there. If you changed to a 5.0 from the 6 would it require a change on the front suspension like the Mustangs do?