• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 On the Verge of a '68 GT/CS, Might be a HCS

68HCS289

Hello!! A friend of mine recommended me here to get the opinions of other GT/CS owners:wink: I once owned a highland green GT/CS but she had too much rot for me to properly restore her so I sold her. I have been on a mission for another one, and I found one a few states away that seems to be a good deal. Only issue is a misfire in the engine and it was repainted (it was once Acapulco Blue). Interior and trunk is in great shape but does have the typical signs of rust in the torq boxes, etc. No rust in pillars. I would need to repaint her if I want to return her back to MCA condition. Was garaged most of it's life. What is the typical asking price for something like this? Marti Report does show it was sold from Bob Reed Ford in Denver, CO. C4 trans with a 289. Looking forward to any advice you have to offer or anything else I should look out for-thanks everyone!!

franklinair

Is this the one in IL, VIN 8R01C166656, dark blue? If so, it is an HCS, needing torquebox replacement on the right side. Could also require floorpan repair/replacement in the same area. Let me know if this is the car, and I can give you more info.

Neil

Last edited:
OP
OP
68HCS289

68HCS289

Yep-that is the one!! I appreciate any info you have. I know the better half talked to him already and he has been nice and I am about 90% sure of going for it. Thanks!!

franklinair

PM me your e-mail address, and I'll forward the photos he sent to me if you don't already have them.

Neil

hicountrybob

Hello!! A friend of mine recommended me here to get the opinions of other GT/CS owners:wink: I once owned a highland green GT/CS but she had too much rot for me to properly restore her so I sold her. I have been on a mission for another one, and I found one a few states away that seems to be a good deal. Only issue is a misfire in the engine and it was repainted (it was once Acapulco Blue). Interior and trunk is in great shape but does have the typical signs of rust in the torq boxes, etc. No rust in pillars. I would need to repaint her if I want to return her back to MCA condition. Was garaged most of it's life. What is the typical asking price for something like this? Marti Report does show it was sold from Bob Reed Ford in Denver, CO. C4 trans with a 289. Looking forward to any advice you have to offer or anything else I should look out for-thanks everyone!!

I, too, feel for sure that this car is a high country special, probably has a DSO 51 'cause BOB REED FORD was a large Ford dealership here in the Denver area in the 60's. Neil, do I have this car in the registry?????????? Bob Teets here.

franklinair

Bob;
I exchanged e-mails with the seller (listed on VMF forum). The Marti indicates DSO 51. The PO restored it as a GT/CS (including rear quarter CS script), but seller says he has HCS emblem acquired from you.
The seller seems like a straight shooter, and it looks like a very restorable HCS. I'm just not well versed in frame (torquebox) welding and I've kinda been dragging my feet in pursuing buying the car. (VIN 8R01C166656)
Then today, 68HCS289 started this thread and I thought I would try & help him. (I can wait until the 'right' car comes along for me!!) Hope this helps.

Neil

OP
OP
68HCS289

68HCS289

I will pm you my email address. Last one I had was too far gone in the frame so this one I am comfortable in restoring and hoping to be an official GT/CS owner again, just a bonus it is an HCS. Is Tom still on this site with the red one? I met him at Carlisle a few years back and he was so nice and we talked a while. That was when I still had my highland green GT/CS. Thanks again for the help!!

dalorzo_f

As for price, without pics hard to say. I was looking about a bit late last year and saw a few (4 or 5) very nice small block "driver" Cal Specials in the 12-18k range. All looked like very solid cars, granted it was pics only, but unless its a big block they don't seem to bring much more than 20k unless its something a bit different option-wise, or a very high end restoration.

From your description I'd say 10-14k would be reasonable, but its a pretty sketchy description. Assuming a Plane Jane C code or similar as you don't note anything out of the ordinary.

For 5-8k you can get a real nice '68 coupe and for about a grand you can add on the CS bits if you're repainting and you just want the look... easy add-on.

OP
OP
68HCS289

68HCS289

Thanks everyone, this has been alot of help. Looks like everything is legit and I may go ahead and purchase it. I will follow up on what happens.