• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Original Owner Red on Red CS on eBay

HappyHour

Anyone from the list checking this out? Im in San Francsico and the car is in South San Francisco. Would love to get some input from the forum.

Buyer is looking for $15K....be interesting to see what it tops out at.

RobKat

Last edited:

nfrntau

The smoke coming out the exhaust with the oil splattered on the ground behind the car would bother me as a prospective buyer. Need engine work for sure.
The only way I see that spray happening is the owner was revving the engine for some reason. (Maybe to keep it running?)

390cs68rcode

condensation in the exhaust will cause the engine to spit out moisture when starting the car. I have had numerous Mustangs do that.

Midnight Special

condensation in the exhaust will cause the engine to spit out moisture when starting the car. I have had numerous Mustangs do that.

That's what it looks like to me too. Moisture instead of smoke and befitting of Bay Area climate. He says the car has 104,XXX miles on it and it shows, but it looks well cared for and is all there.

franklinair

I have a '57 T-Bird that loves to spit out of the tailpipes! (moisture) My C/S is more well mannered!
Neil Hoppe

case12

I thought every car spits out moisture unless you live in AZ. My daily driver 2000GT will do it. The longer they sit, the more they spit. Some classic sites suggest pushing rags into the pipes during the winter (if you store your car). I havent done that. When I start my cars each month in the winter the garage floor is very wet behind the pipes (and the wall gets wet if I rev to high:icon_no: ) Casey

HappyHour

Talked to the owner who sells exotic cars. The paint is really tired but engine is strong and interior is nice except for the cracked dash. Little old lady in San Jose kept the car.

He said he had it sold for $15K to guy in England but it fell through. He mentioned these CS's are the cars to have and documentation alone is worth up to $10K.

In addition he said not to bother bidding or inspecting if I wasnt planning on hitting the $15K mark as he will just park in in the warehouse and let it appreciate.

Last edited:

Doug

I has been my experience that if the price gets even close he will take the money and run. Especially if he's a car sales person - they are in the business of selling cars not storing them. Good luck.

Mosesatm

He said he had it sold for $15K to guy in England but it fell through. He mentioned these CS's are the cars to have and documentation alone is worth up to $10K.

In addition he said not to bother bidding or inspecting if I wasnt planning on hitting the $15K mark as he will just park in in the warehouse and let it appreciate.

Sounds like a typical dealer.:rolleyes:

HappyHour

Yeah I think he will get his sanity check once the auction runs out. Ill send him an email once he gets his head out of the clouds (or maybe not).

I mean $15K I would have rather taken that 4 speed in Bethesda with rear defogger, upper\lower consoles, AC, and all the extras documentation that just closed. Yeesh! :icon_bore

HappyHour

Seller added the matching numbers. The first being the VIN and the second being the engine tag I have seen posts about. Are these supposed to "match"?

These are the Matching #s Chassis 8R01C150873 65 A T 2D 19C 72 2W Engine 289 L 68 16 C7 K236-J

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Those engine numbers are a good start but the numbers you really need are not those. He needs to remove the air cleaner, and look at the top of the block, between the intake manifold and the firewall, for the partial VIN. It'll be on the flat horizontal surface just before the bellhousing. Can't miss it.

Attached is a picture of where the VIN should be. We are looking at the rear of the engine from the front. Since my engine is out of a 66 it doesn't have the same flat area behind the intake that is found on the '68s but where you see the concave area behind the circle should be a flat spot with the VIN stamped on it.

Anyone else have a better picture?

Edit; Added picture

Last edited:

HappyHour

Thanks that what I thought from previous posting on "engine" tags. Very interesting threads.

Well hopefully I can get a look at it if auction closes without hitting reserve. He knows the CS\GT is collectable but he hasnt been too interesting in making it available to look at or to confirm the information he is posting. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Here is a pic of my vin stamp... not sure if it helps

This is from my 289. I have to say the stamping on my 302 is much straighter than this in comparison.
Have to wonder if this was after a liquid lunch or the 302 was done on a slow day. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC00512.jpg
    DSC00512.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00513 crop.JPG
    DSC00513 crop.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 42

mmarsalone

Thanks Rich,

Mine is not much better than yours. And I always kind of wondered about it. My spacing looks to be a little more than yours.

Attachments

• ZZ_Engine_Partial VIN (Large).jpg
    ZZ_Engine_Partial VIN (Large).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 30