• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Original "X" code california special w/ Tach?

Ruppstang

@Marty
My "X" code has drum brakes all around (if my memory serves me). Is it possible that the 390 "S" codes required the disc brakes and that the lit assumes 390 = "S" or = GT (since the "X"s were such a rarity)?

I think dalorzo_f is right in his statment above that non GT 390 cars would have had drum brakes standard and dics optional. In 68 Ford required all GTs to be 4V V8 cars. In light of that it makes senses that your X code has drums. Marty

NosAvrenim

In 68 Ford required all GTs to be 4V V8 cars. Marty

Thanks for that bit of info. Never realized that, but it does make sense.
4v = performance; thus a possible/optional GT package
2v = "economy" (relatively speaking)

~Nate

dalorzo_f

...and that the lit assumes 390 = "S" or = GT...

One common confusion on the S codes is the "390GT" engine used in '67 and '68 Mustangs (S changed to the 390IP in '69). Many see this name and assume it means the car got the GT option as well, not true. S = 390, but it did not = "GT"....

Ruppstang

One common confusion on the S codes is the "390GT" engine used in '67 and '68 Mustangs (S changed to the 390IP in '69). Many see this name and assume it means the car got the GT option as well, not true. S = 390, but it did not = "GT"....

+1 Marty