• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rag Joint

Mosesatm

Just learned how annoying a worn rag joint can be.

Steering rebuild kits don't include these little buggers but IMO they should.

I've been fighting a knock in my steering wheel for months but all the steering parts are tight. A kid working at Midas knew what the problem was right away. He put in a new rag joint and WOW, what a difference it made!!!

So if anyone is befuddled by funky steering you may want to consider replacing the rag joint. It's inexpensive and fairly easy to install.

BTW, the rag joint is the steering knuckle that is between the steering box and the firewall.

Last edited:

gt bandit

i will be replacing mine

just picked up a new flaming river steering box from inland stang - good blokes
but i didn't remember to order the rag joint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rvrtrash

Very important part! On the '72 Mach 1 I used to own, the inner steering shaft somehow worked it's way up into the column, the rag joint tore and I was sitting in the middle of the street with no steering. I'd just got off the freeway so considered myself lucky to be alive. I check them now on a regular basis. :eek:

Steve

case12

i cant tell in the picture - which is the rag joint? where should i look?

btw, i have all original steering and the only problem i have is the occasional sudden drift (i forget what they call that - but it has a name). casey

CougarCJ

It is also called a 'coupler'.

Just want to mention in passing, tilt - swing away steering columns use a different rag joint.

Have not heard about a reproduction tilt rag joint, used or NOS are the alternatives.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

i cant tell in the picture - which is the rag joint? where should i look?
casey

Here's a picture Casey. It's the laminated rubber gasket that hooks onto the end of the steering shaft.

Last edited:

CougarCJ

From the MPC for 1968 Mustangs.

Fixed column rag joint:
C6AZ-3A525-B

Tilt Column rag joint:
C7ZZ-3A525-A

PFSlim

Guys

Make sure your wheels are straight and your steering wheel is straight when installing the new rag joint. It will keep you from taking it back apart!! (oh, did I say that I learned that lesson the hard way!!)

Paul