• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Recomended inspection company

calspl390

Hello to all members
i have been looking at purchasing a x code cs in oregon.
Can any one help me with a inspection on this car,or recomend a trust worthy inspection company.that does a really good job,as buying sight unseen from australia is very scary.
Thanks dylan.

planemove

Hi Dylan,

I also thought about buying this car it is about three hours from where I live. Things have been changed on the car and it has been for sale for over a year. I have sold cars to Australia and I know first hand how strict your import laws are make sure you can import it.

planemove

Dylan,
I did not go and look at the car I just asked a lot of questions. I can tell you the color of this car has been changed also the interior is custom. It is an X code car so you will need to change the manifold and carburetor back to what it was originally. Also I’m not sure what exhaust control system it had or any emissions but that needs to go back on it.

I had a 65 fastback rejected because it had a four barrel carburetor side scoops Shelby stripes and a Shelby hood. They can be picky.

If I where you I would want to see some pictures of the restoration. Also if you don’t
Want a stock car buy a nice small block car and put a big block in it when you get home.

Bryan

CougarCJ

X code cars did not have emissions, just PCV (IMCO).

I live in Oregon, don't claim to be an expert, but I am much better than average.

Do we know where this car is located?

planemove

The car he is looking at is at Classic Memories Motor Cars Milwaukie Oregon. I was told this car started it's life in Washington it has been for sale at least a year, But not at this dealer. I had offered 21,000.00 for the car and they would not take it. looking around and knowing the changes that the car has had I don't think it is worth anymore than that. If it where I think it would have already sold.

OP
OP
C

calspl390

Hello cougarcj
could you help with a inspection if its not to far away and i cover your costs or recomend a good trust worthy inspection company in the area.
My main concern is rust or rust repairs,i can deal with all the other changes its had.
Thanks dylan.

JohnnyQuest515

The car he is looking at is at Classic Memories Motor Cars Milwaukie Oregon. I was told this car started it's life in Washington it has been for sale at least a year, But not at this dealer. I had offered 21,000.00 for the car and they would not take it. looking around and knowing the changes that the car has had I don't think it is worth anymore than that. If it where I think it would have already sold.

I offered 22K and they said they wanted a grand less than full price, with the color change and the other stuff I passed. Last email said a boeing employee made high offer.

Randy

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Dylan, I moved this to the main forum because I think it will get more views there.

J_Speegle

Dylan,
Also I’m not sure what exhaust control system it had or any emissions but that needs to go back on it.

No Thermactor to worry about - you'll have fun with things like the snorkel, heat shield and such but no smog pump, hoses and tubes to get in the way ;)

Think you would be better served by using someone that know these cars and all the ins and outs of them rather than the typical inspection services.

Might even (since its in Oregon) see if Don at West Coast Cougars is not too far away and would do it. Of course even the cost of a little plane flight for someone that is well educated is a small investment in the long run.

Remember/consider the best time to control cost (and where you make most of your dollars in a car investment) is when you buy a car. And you can never get away from a bad car quick enough, you just have to know its a bad car first ;)

Believe me - I've bought my fair share and passed on at least 80% of what I've ever 80% I've ever looked at

Good luck