• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Traction Lok rear end

JohnnyQuest515

Looking for information on how to convert my open differential to a traction lok. Can you just buy the guts to make it work or ?

I'm thinking mine is a 28 spline not a 31 is that correct?

Also looking to change rear end ratio as well, street applications.

REF: 390, c6, 2.75 rear end.

Thanks, Randy

6t8-390gt

Randy,
You can buy a used traction loc or buy a new one, you'll need new bearings and races. If you buy a used unit it will likely need rebuilt, so you may be better off buying a new unit. Although rebuilding the unit is not difficult. Changes the gears is also not difficult but some special tools are required. A 3.25:1 or 3.50:1 gear will improve your car tremendously. Alot of the drag racers use the Ford 9 in., so finding someone local to set the unit up should be easy enough if you are not able to.

Danny

di81977

Keep in mind that Auburn units are not repairable.

david

teamlo

Randy,

I just happen to have a spare, totally rebuilt 9" 3.50 Traction Lock 3rd member complete and ready to bolt in. 28 spline. If you'd be interested, PM or email me.

terry.h.hall@hitchcock.org

gt bandit

Personally if you drive it on the street a lot , i opt for the Tru-Trac system. which is a mechanical limited slip system using helical gears.
I got mine off Ebay for $550 complete with 3.5 gears.

shaun

68P51

That's odd, I was just researching this two weeks ago. 351w, C6, 2.73 gears. It ran high 13's with 195 tires spinning one at 3300msl. I wanted to get a traction lok with 3.5 gears, but from what I read it does sound like the Tru-Trac is the way to go. That being said I may contacto teamlo about his ready to go.

I want to build a new engine, is it better to build the engine around the new 3.5 gears or should I decide how I want the engine and select the gears afterwards?