• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Equa-Lok Rear End

Mosesatm

According to Marti my J-code originally had a 3.00 Equa-Lok differential. It now seems to have a 2.79 open unit. That makes for some slow starts with a 4-speed (now a 5-speed). I'm going to change out the pumpkin to shorter gears, but if I go to the trouble, and expense, of changing the gears should I just take it back to its original configuration? I want to drive the car and I've read that the Ford posi-type rear ends tend to be noisy and unreliable.

Is anyone familiar with these units and from your experience are they noisy or do they have any other issues that make an open unit a better choice for a driver? I won't drive it hard enough to need the added traction.

Is 'Equa-Lok' another name for 'Trac-Loc' or are they different things?

Thanks for your input and advice!

robert campbell

Arlie,
I have always equated the Equa Loc to the 2 pinion posi. The Trac Loc to the 4 pinion posi unit. 4 pinion “normally” came with 31 spline axles and the 2 pinion came with 28 spline axles. 2 pinion normally had less clutch plates and was considered the lighter duty of the 2 units??

Have to admit a bit of knowledge gaps here!!! I assume you have an 8 inch rear end? And they came with a Equa Loc also. As for reliability the posi unit is normally behind a car that is used a bit harder. I have experienced no problems with my posi units.

Drivability should be the same. An open rear end is a bit more forgiving in a corner if you stand on it as one tire never spins. The posi unit will light them both up and your rear end can swing out. Again only under a lot of power.

2.79 or 3.00 is way high for a 5 speed. You can easily upgrade to a 3.25 or 3.50 ration and get the best of both worlds. Great highway cruising and much crisper performance.

Not sure how you feel about originality these days. You have the option of a much stronger 8 inch posi unit through many outlets. Strong 8 inch units are lighter and can take all the abuse you plan.

I will do a bit more research.

Rob

classicsguy

I am not too familiar but i know that Equq-Lock and trac-lock are not the same. I asked once this question ina Mustang forum since i had a 1967 S code Mustang with Equa Lock too. Somebody commented that EQUA LOCK parts were harder to get. Hope it helps

joedls

In my opinion, if you're just highway cruising, stick with your open diff and save yourself some money. The only reason I would switch to a LSD (which I did BTW, is for better launches.

I had 3.50 gears with my AOD but will be changing mine to 4.11s when i put it back together. I already have the gears. I do, however, have 28" tires. If you have shorter tires, you may not want as much gear.

Last edited:

robert campbell

I have 25 inch tall tires with 3.70 gears with my AOD. 2,500 RPM at 70 MPH. As Joe said cost is a huge consderation. Of note, there are tons of 3.55 8 inch open rear ends in Mustang II's that had 4 cyclinder engines in wrecking yards. If you are a bargain shopper.

Rob

CougarCJ

I have 25 inch tall tires with 3.70 gears with my AOD. 2,500 RPM at 70 MPH. As Joe said cost is a huge consderation. Of note, there are tons of 3.55 8 inch open rear ends in Mustang II's that had 4 cyclinder engines in wrecking yards. If you are a bargain shopper.

Rob

As far as I know, the 8 inch rears only came in 6 and 8 cylinder Mustang II's.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

So a Mustang II pumpkin fits in a '68 housing?
Which years are interchangeable?

robert campbell

Scott might be right. If you find an 8 inch in a Mav the bolt right in. Same same. Found two of them at my local wrecking yards.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I'm considering ordering a rebuilt 3rd member from an on-line company. I ordered one from JawsGear a few years ago and was happy with it.
Is anyone familiar any other good rear-end rebuilders?