• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Trunk latch adjustment...

dalorzo_f

Know the lid sits high in comparison to the end caps. But I found I needed to shim the striker on the lid down about 1/8" to get it to latch. The latch is full up, exactly where it was before. Based on the old toothed washer dents in the support bracket.

Is this a common requirement? I used the "incorrect" and super soft 69 style (trapezoid, not "C" type) trunk seal and theres still no way it will latch without the shims.

Ruppstang

Did you use a Drake weather strip? If so you will never get it closed. Carpenter makes one that is much softer and made the difference in the HCS.

Mosesatm

Marty,
Who is Carpenter and how do we order their products?

Thanks

6t8-390gt

Marty,
Who is Carpenter and how do we order their products?

Thanks

Daniel Carpenter Reproductions, they are located about a mile north of the Charlotte Motor Speedway and will be having tours of their facility during the 50th. I think Daniel stopped selling direct retail and you have to buy their products through one of the many Mustang venders. Years ago he bought quite a bit of NOS parts direct from Ford, but I think most of that stuff has been sold off. I was lucky to buy some NOS stuff for a bargain from him!

Most, if not all of their stuff is made right here in the good ole USA. They also bought a lot of original tooling from Ford and manufacture off the original tooling. Daniel has been in business 20-25 years, he is the son of Dennis Carpenter. Dennis Carpenter Reproductions has numerous Ford catalogs for Full Size Cars, Ford Tractors, etc.

Daniel advertises in the Mustang Times and other magazines, as well.

Danny

franklinair

Is there a Carpenter part # for the trunk seal? I'll be needing one for the CS I'm currently doing. If I have the Carpenter P/N I can specify that to the retail supplier.

Neil

franklinair

I had already looked @ their web page. No trunk seals listed, Shelby or otherwise. :-(

Neil

Ruppstang

Check with Tony Branda. But ask for the manufacturer from who ever you call.

Powell

I see Scott's West Coast Cougar Classic as one off their retailers. Maybe Scott will chime in and let us know about the seal.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

I don't have the bag any more but think it was a Carpenter. It was Branda's "best" and if there are any thinner/softer ones it would be quite a feat. The seal is far, far more pliable and by the "finger test" compresses much easier and thinner than any of the "C" section types I have (Carpenter brand included). I think I have a spare one from them and will dig it up to look.

The car originally had other shims and what appeared to be a very old and orignal seal so was curious if this was common or not...

Last edited:

Maine gt/cs

I purchased one from Branda and the fit was great. After being on the trunk lid for a year, the lid closed a little easier. Hope this helps.

Tim

gscott

I just went through this with a 65 coupe. The foreign made trunk weatherstrip I bought in a kit was too dense and the trunk lid stood up well above the quarters. I ordered a trunk weatherstrip from NPD that was USA made # 43720-2B. You could feel and see the deference between two. Installed the softer US made now it all fits. Done with the foreign from now on. Noticed between the 2 identical package labels they were sold/made/distributed by the same company but one said made in Taiwan the other USA. So I learned like other repo parts there are budget minded weatherstrips being sold and a pay more for it to fit properly line as well. gary

CougarCJ

Daniel Carpenter supplies 2 versions.

C5ZZ-6543720 US made.
C5ZZ-6543720-R Foreign made.