• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Book Question: Restomod info or no?

P

PNewitt

As I'm outlining the book, I'm wondering about how many people would want "restomod" information in it.

I'm including restoration information with "available options" at that time (mid-'68); and vintage Shelby parts; and some parts that were advertised in the magazines at that time (Hot Rod, Pop Hot Rodding, etc.). This includes wheels, tires, intakes, valve covers, etc, --all available in 1967-69.

I picked up a copy of "Mustangs and Fords" last night, and there is a lot of the Restomod fad in there (i.e. Mustangs Plus' ads). Some are really extreme, like putting late model interiors and drivetrain in a '65 or '68.

Simpler versions of the restomod version rack & pinion, and Total Control, Fat Man, etc. coil over suspension kits, etc...

Since the GT/CS is not like the Shelby, in that it "has to be" totally restored; it's in the middle as far as whether to restore or modify with contemporary parts. You can do this easier with a GT/CS, than with a Shelby (considered more of a purist Mustang variant). By seeing Joe's and Luis' GT/CSs on my L.A. trip, I can see how mods are part of what it is like to have a California-ized modified Mustang (although their mods are more "traditional"; so, I really wouldn't call them restomods)

So--what are your thoughts? What would you think of the restomod versions of the GT/CS? (like they show in "Mustangs & Fords" and
Mustangs Plus"?)

thanks!
Paul N.

joedls

As many here know, I am a big restomod fan. I like to build my cars to perform in a way that suits me. Having said that, I don't think you should devote much of your book to this subject. Maybe includea few examples of tasteful modifications. There are lots of sources for restomodding Mustangs, but your book is the only "bible" on original GT/CSs.

Mustanger

joedls said:
As many here know, I am a big restomod fan. I like to build my cars to perform in a way that suits me. Having said that, I don't think you should devote much of your book to this subject. Maybe includea few examples of tasteful modifications. There are lots of sources for restomodding Mustangs, but your book is the only "bible" on original GT/CSs.

I agree with Joe, maybe a small section is okay, with some of the more "tasteful" mods ...

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Yes, I agree. I think that people will be seeing the same Restomod items already in the magazines--so after I talk about the "Vintage Performance" Ford and Shelby parts, I'll just briefly mention the possibilities of the Restomod items (about two pages). It'll be things you may not see--like stroked 302s (to 347), etc., hidden new mechanicals, cams, electronics, etc.

I just want to leave that door open for some fresh, contemporary ideas to make owning a GT/CS still fun, yet a personalized, individual experience.

This Mustang has the unique position of being built to just about any variation from concours to total custom to racing. The unique Shelby body parts seem to keep asking for more performance.

thanks for the input!

Paul N.

Mosesatm

Paul, I'm sure you've already thought of most or all of these items but in case one slipped by you here are some tasteful or hidden changes I thought of that owners can make (what can I say, it's a slow day at work).

Electric door locks
Electric windows
Power seats
Pertronix or electronic ignition
No rocker panel trim
Aftermarket air conditioning
AOD
Rack & pinion steering
Disc brakes
Aluminum Radiator
Electic fan
Fuel Injection
Larger original looking wheels
Upgraded suspension
Frame connectors
IRS
Lemans stripes

Please notice that I did not mention dropping in a light weight high power Nissan 3.5L V-6 with a manualmatic transmission, or installing Corvette door handles.:icon_pani :grin:

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

WHAT??? No Vette door Handles? LMAO ! how funny..(not even Vega handles?)

An excellent list, Arlie!! This is good. I like your direction of "updating" the GT/CS for today's world (and traffic), without compromising the original looks too much.

Some of these items you mention are from street rodders, which I highly respect their design and engineering thinking. I think that's the direction the classic Mustang is going.

I just think that some of the "restomod" stuff is a little wierd--like "lighted door sill plates" (and, for what it's worth, I personally feel that the direction that Foose, Year One and Unique Perf. is going, is off the original Mustang design track).

But to each their own. I appreciate your list, Arlie. It "hits the marque" perfectly!

Paul N.

case12

I have electric door locks that go with my Viper alarm system. Really cool to hit the button, hear the bleep-bleep, and see the door lock knobs go down on a 68. :cool: Casey

CougarCJ

Have to ask if you are planning any inclusion of cloned Ca Specials?

1967 hard tops, convertibles, etc., kind of a imitation is the best form of flattery?

rvrtrash

"Jack of all trades, master of none". I think you should keep your book about "original" cars instead of trying to cover everything possible. I think period correct information would be great but anyone that wants to restomod a car probably already reads Mustangs and Fords or other mags. Besides, two years from now, who knows what will be the hot thing to do and you don't want to "date" the book. The next big wave may be totally original cars again because everything out there has been modified, or we may be putting in hydrogen fuel cells 'cause the middle east is a no-mans land. Just my humble 2 cents worth.
:lipsseal:
Steve

quicknick

I'll have to agree with Joe and Steve on this one. Preservation, not alteration should be the main format of this book. My .02.

gt bandit

i agree - even though mine is a resto-mod , i prefer to be reading about the real McCoy , i just don't wanna drive it that way. Ironic i know , but that's the way i like it.

plus there is a load of info on resto-mods out there already.

J_Speegle

First thing you might not be aware of is there is a certain "back-lash" in the hobby concerning the term. Instead I would suggest that you just use the term modifying or the traditional hot rodding.

Also the term is copywritten (or what ever the right term is ;) not saying you could not get permission but its use might just date your publication if the trend and use of the term changes in a year or two.

The term (as originally defined) has lost its meaning over the last 5-8 years IMHO to mean just about anything from the 28" tires and wheel combination to full out customs

Just a comment,.... you asked for it ;)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I'd kinda had my mind made up (against) doing the bit on Restomods, and all of your responses confirmed my thoughts. The best point made was about how what might seem "cool" today, may appear dated in the book.

I want to list the Vintage Shelby parts, and some of the period parts as well, to educate owners and enthusiasts just what was available then. I'm very much "OK" with the idea of primarily a restoration-type book.

So--with the lack of restomod stuff, it won't seem as if the book is "too elitist"? (as if it should be concours only?)???

I'll include a part about "ownership", and I can mention a few things that owners have done to their cars.

thank you all for your input.
Paul N.

J_Speegle

Mustanger said:
I agree with Joe, maybe a small section is okay, with some of the more "tasteful" mods ...

"Tasteful" boy is that subjective ;)

If your going to show what has and can be done... show everything from the guys with the big bass sound, to the hacked up bubble flares, to the guys wanting to swap the Honda and Nissan engines in. Then include the modified cars from the 60's. Maybe we can find a jacked up example with the straight axle and fender well headers

Might sell a few additional copies.

Paul... guess you pushed my button with this one :grin:

J_Speegle

PNewitt said:
So--with the lack of restomod stuff, it won't seem as if the book is "too elitist"? (as if it should be concours only?)???

From your description it sounds more like a history book (as it should be). With the balance of 70+% on the history (for example) 10% on right and wrong details, 10% on period dealer and aftermarket accessories and 10% other, I doubt any one will mistake it for a rule book ;)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

J_Speegle said:
From your description it sounds more like a history book (as it should be). With the balance of 70+% on the history (for example) 10% on right and wrong details, 10% on period dealer and aftermarket accessories and 10% other, I doubt any one will mistake it for a rule book ;)

Hey Jeff! Yes, I guess I caught your attention there. You're pretty much right on how I'm approaching this book. History, and accessories, and vintage performance--all within the 1967-1969 time frame. Not sure about the "rule book" comment...sarcasm? I do expect the historical parts in my book to be absorbed into rules sometime soon, after it's out. I'll make the stock vs. custom differences very clear (however, I DO plan on presenting the "pandora's box" idea to clubs that if you have the printed proof (like in a Hot Rod magazine) of a vintage performance part on your Mustang, that you get no bonus points, but you aren't docked points, either for having it on your car, since you proved that it could have been installed on your Mustang at the time. This will make the hobby more fun, and interesting).

Also, in a historical context, is what has happened with (many) GT/CS owners since about '69. That is a huge timeframe that cannot be ignored. Call it a "social, cultural history" period. I want to talk a little bit about how those years affected the car, too. It's like looking at '32 Fords in 1932, and including the street rods that developed in the past three decades. I can't ignore the stories and period of ownership that make up this car's history. Not that I'm going to spend a lot of time on it, but at least aknowledge the pride of many ownerships.

It's because this car represents the Mustang car culture in California. It was based on marketing, and the image of Shelby, and it deserves to have that heritage told in my book.

As a side note--I commented on Arlie's ideas, which I'll "digest" into how I talk about ownership of today--and tomorrow. Still valid ideas; it's just in how I'll do it.

thanks, Paul N.

Russ

Paul,

Its interesting that you bring up this topic, as Jim Smart, senior editor of "Mustangs and Fords", was visiting us in Flagstaff last week and we had a discussion about resto-mods. My take on your book is that you should report on the GT/CS, its history, available options from the factory, current owners (a registry).......basically an update to your previous books in greater detail. I think you can get overwhelmed with all the "new" things that can be done to the GT/CS and the focus of the book will be lost.

My question to you is WHAT do YOU want from your book??? It's really not for us to say. Thanks for all you do to keep the GT/CS-HCS legend alive.

Russ