• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gotta feel sorry for the kids of today

BroadwayBlue

mmarsalone said:
The two bands I've seen the most in concert are The Dead Milkmen and the Hoodoo Gurus. The Milkmen used to play in DC a lot when I lived there, they're a Philly band so they were close. I even caught them home in New Orleans at Tipatina's one night.

I've just always loved the Hoodoo Gurus and would catch them whenever they played near to me.

I guess I'm pretty diverse too. I listen to everything except country and rap..........and these new American Idol type people.

Rap and the Electric Slide is what I used to call an occupational hazard when I DJ'd.

I never listened to country until I started dating my wife. Italian Girl from The Bronx - listens to country - go figure.
And she got it from her Dad who came to NYC in the 60's from Italy! He is old school country.\
Cool car guy though - had a 67 GTO (stolen the first day he had it) and then went and bought a 68 GTO.

I actually have grown acustomed to some of it though - A lot of it is very Eagle-ish.
That's coming from someone who is heavy into Modern Rock and New Wave craze but some of it is alright.
It makes for a good time quizzing each other in the car about who is singing the song that's on.

Funny Story - she took me to a Country Music Festival up at Hunter Mountain, NY in 1993. We saw a nobody (at the time) called Faith Hill. Yes Dan Hill's ex and Tim McGraw's current. She was a hot blonde and did a great rendition of Janis Joplin's - Piece of My Heart - how could I not like her. So I picked up a baseball cap with her name on it.

I'm wearing the hat a few days later for our companies woman's softball team that I coached. One of the girls says to me ... "Faith Hill? Is that upstate?" LOL!! I was cracking up! A friend passed it on to her fan club at that big musicfest they have in Nashville. I'm sure they got a kick out of that one.

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Yep Mike I remember "Wildfire" by Michael Martin Murphy. Especially since I`m such an animal lover. Anybody remember "Me and you and a dog named Boo" by Lobo? How about "Shannon"? Don`t know who thats by, off the top of my head. And "Sweet", I have a cd of thier hits and crank it on my home stereo every chance I get. Especially "Fox on the Run". My kids think I`m crazy when they hear me play it, but I`ve noticed both my girls put the song in thier favorites collection on the computer. Too bad half the band is gone now. REO Speedwagon was a good band. I saw them in "88" along with "Three Dog Night" and "Cheap Trick". My favorite band, even now is "Def Lepard". I have always loved ZZ Top, went to one of their concerts in "83". I saw Ozzy Ozborne in "82". He was complaining about someone throwing pennies at him from the crowd. He was almost crying. Anybody remember "My Ding a Ling" by Chuck Berry? That was a funny song when I was little. And Barry Manilow, who could forget his songs.

68gt390

Rhonda;
Funny you should mention Michael Martin Murphy. He's my ex-wifes cousin. I've never been much of a Country fan but, when I do listen to Country I lean towards Vince Gill and Garth Brooks. For the most part if I'm on the road or at a show most of my cd's are loaded with AC/DC, Billy Idol, INXS, ZZ Top for just a few. I slide a few of the newer artist in from time to time. Disturbed, Audio Slave, and of course a little Rob Zombie. Some may consider it a strange mix but, works for me.

Don :cool:

Mustanglvr

Wow, thats cool Don. Michael Martin Murphy has been a favorite of mine. He is such a talented songwriter and musician. I listen to new music too. I can`t help but get used to it since I have a 10 year old and 15 year old girls in the house. I actually think Christina Agulerra is a very talanted singer. I don`t think much of Brittney Spears or Mariah Carey. Kelly Clarkson is very talented too. I lean towards stuff like Linkin Park, Three Doors Down and Evanescence for new stuff myself.

hookedtrout

Mosesatm said:
Never seen it. I know, I know, I'm probably the only baby boomer in the world that hasn't seen that movie.

You certainly aren't alone. I've meant to watch it, started to watch it a few times just never have seen it, entirely.

Cory

hookedtrout

Great Thread, I to love all the 60's 70's and 80's rock, I've worn out records, 8-Tracks, and Cassettes of all the favs like Hotel California and Cat Scratch Fever and I'm in the process of wearing out CD's if that's possible. I'm a musically diverse person, I'm sitting here looking at my CD collection and it's huge. I guess that's why I had to stuff the stereo in the CS. I listen to everything from;
Godsmack,
BBKing,
Chris Ledoux,
U2 is probably my favorite,
Dylan,
Allan Jackson,
Jerry Jeff Walker,
Korn,
Creed,
AC/DC is high on the list,
Johnny Cash,
Eagles,
Rob Zombie,
Micky & the Motorcars, probably not many have heard of the Micky short of some of the Texas members,
Oh Brother Where Art Thou sound track is a big favorite,
Skynard,
Rammstein,
Last Train Home.
Grew up on the Cars,
love Def Leppard,
Hank Jr,
Journey,
Cheap Trick,
Haggard,
George Jones and Stait,
Pam Tillis,
Iron Maiden,
Clay Walker.
And just about everything in between and above and below. Country, Classical, Blues, Rock you name it, I probably like a little bit of every type of music and lot of certain types. I'd have to say I haven't found much in the way of Rap that interests me, at least not yet.

I guess it's obvious I listen to about anything, That's one thing I love about the XM Satellite, I can change it to suit my mood faster than I can find the CD.

Cory

Mustanglvr

Wow Cory, you are diverse. I love almost every type of music and even some rap if its done well and not too perverse. I actually like Eminem. He has alot of reflection of his own life in his songs. My family and I absolutley loved the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" movie and CD. I think if I ever went back to singing in a band, I`d like to sing bluegrass. I have many Alisson Krause & Union Station CD`s and tapes. Vince Gill is also a favorite.

hookedtrout

Mustanglvr said:
Wow Cory, you are diverse. I love almost every type of music and even some rap if its done well and not too perverse. I actually like Eminem. He has alot of reflection of his own life in his songs. My family and I absolutley loved the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" movie and CD. I think if I ever went back to singing in a band, I`d like to sing bluegrass. I have many Alisson Krause & Union Station CD`s and tapes. Vince Gill is also a favorite.

Allison Krause has one of the most beautiful voices I've heard. I love bluegrass as well and I could watch Oh Brother Where Art Thou over and over and over and...certainly one of my all time favorite movies.

Cory

BroadwayBlue

Mustanglvr said:

Mentioning Eminem reminded me of something funny that happened with my 3 year old daughter. I was watching TV while she was playing and there was a commercial on for the Tonight Show I think and Eminem was going to be a guest. She looked up from what she was doing, turned to me and said "Daddy, he just said M&Ms!!" :grin:

Vince Gill is a great guitar player ... Was with Pure Prarie League way back when (Amie was one of their famous songs - but he wasn't with them when they recorded that. But he was with them for "Let Me Love You Tonight" in the late 70's)

Too bad I don't know cars like I do music huh. :sad:

Mustanglvr

BroadwayBlue said:
Vince Gill is a great guitar player ... Was with Pure Prairie League way back when (Amie was one of their famous songs - but he wasn't with them when they recorded that. But he was with them for "Let Me Love You Tonight" in the late 70`s

I thought Vince Gill was the one who sang "Amy" for "Pure Prairie League".

BroadwayBlue

Mustanglvr said:
I thought Vince Gill was the one who sang "Amy" for "Pure Prairie League".

I just double checked on the web and here is some interesting info:

Amie was released in 1972 but actually was popular in 1975 after radio stations started playing it and they had been touring colleges endlessly with a different singer - RCA re-issued the single and the album at that time. The original singer of Amie, Craig Fuller, wasn't even in the band when the song finally became a hit. But he owns the rights to the song and is making a decent amount of money on it. It's one of the most played songs - over 2,000,000 times. "Did someone say MUZAK?"

Vince didn't join the band until 1979.
Coincidentally, Gill's High School band actually opened for Pure Prarie League.
He went to an audition in 79 with a friend to see if they remembered his band. He jammed with them and they hired him.

Gill would never sing "Amie" on stage. He always considered it Fuller's song.
Fuller is back with the band again touring with bands like Poco.

Ok - enuff of that...:rolleyes:

still looking for one

Ahh, cars and music. Remember the Beach Boys '64 song FUN FUN FUN about "And she'll have, fun fun fun till her daddy takes the TBird away"
well, a local Nor. Cal newspaper columnist bewailed that song by saying, in my house that would run, "she'll have fun fun fun til daddy tears the phone off the wall"

Jerry Jeff Walker's LA freeway: If we can just get off of that LA freeway, without being killed or caught, down the road in a cloud of smoke,,,

Guess I am a little old, to remember some of those old songs for me the apex of rock was in '66-'67, but there is good stuff coming out still! Just discovered BON Jovi this year, heard of them but never listened, then Five for fighting, James Blunt, it's all good...

AZ68

nfrntau said:
Aerosmith and Hendrix comes to mind and then more recently Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Speaking of Aerosmith...First, I would like to say that I love Aerosmith. And I know that rockers can be crazy, but here is a story....

A LOT of celebrities come to one specific resort here in Cabo San Lucas, and we have a store in the resort's shopping center. On Saturday, me and three other people were standing outside because we were having a slow day, and Steven Tyler showed up shopping with a couple women and some guy. I didn't know it was him at first because he was wearing a red floral sarong, a white womens dress shirt, and then proceeded to purchase a womens hat in the store next door. We wished we had a camera handy but unfortunately, as store owners, we can not ask for autographs or take photos because the celebs don't want to be bothered, and we respect their wishes. I made a comment that if I were Liv Tyler I would tell my dad, "Dude, you look like s*&t." One of the people standing with me then said that she would tell Liv, "Dude look like a lady". It was so perfectly fitting. I was just upset that I didn't think to say it!!!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Need to revise my list with another new song.
Not Ready to Make Nice - Dixie Chicks

South City Midnight Lady – Doobie Brothers
Taxi - Harry Chapin
Roll Me Away – Bob Seger
Turn the Page – Bob Seger
The Ring - Bob Seger
The Load Out / Stay – Jackson Browne
Summer of 69 – Bryan Adams
Don’t Look Back – Boston
25 or 6 to 4 – Chicago
Same Old Lang Syne – Dan Fogelberg
Layla – Derrick & the Dominoes
Juke Box Hero – Foreigner
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer – George Thorogood
Carefree Highway – Gordon Lightfoot
These Dreams – Heart
Cherry Bomb – John Cougar Mellencamp
Don’t Stop Believing – Journey
Ballad of Curtis Lowe – Lynyrd Skynyrd
Sweet Home Alabama – Lynyrd Skynyrd
Paradise by the Dashbord Lights – Meatloaf
The Killing of Georgie – Rod Stewart
The Boxer – Simon & Garfunkel
Renegade – Styx
Panama – Van Halen

For newer songs I’d add:
River of Stone – Restless Heart
Where Was I – Sawyer Brown
Rock & Roll Dreams – Meat Loaf
Speed – Montgomery Gentry
Between You and Paradise – Sawyer Brown
South December Road – Gary Morris
You’re not in Kansas Anymore – Jo Dee Messina
Not Ready to Make Nice – Dixie Chicks

Skychief

You should all have a good laugh at this mixed up list, guess I like most of it....just can't quite get the Rap.

Springsteen - Born To Run
BTO - You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet
Lobo - I'd Love You To Want Me
Dr. Hook - Sylvia's Mother
Johnny Paycheck - Old Violin
Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind Love
Roy Orbison - Pretty Woman
Dusty Springfield - Angel Of The Morning
Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
Sammy Johns - Chevy Van
Neil Young - Harvest Moon
ELO - Don't Bring Me Down
Bob Seager & Martina McBride - Chances Are
Chris LeDoux - This Cowboy's Hat
Chicago - Hard Habit to Break
Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
Garth Brooks - The Dance
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to The Jungle
Jay And The Americans - Walking In The Rain
Kingston Trio - Where Have All The Flowers Gone

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Just added Poison's Every Rose Has its Thorn, with honorable mention going to Wanted Dead or Alive by Jon Bon Jovi.

Every Rose has its Thorn - Poison
South City Midnight Lady – Doobie Brothers
Taxi - Harry Chapin
Roll Me Away – Bob Seger
Turn the Page – Bob Seger
The Ring - Bob Seger
The Load Out / Stay – Jackson Browne
Summer of 69 – Bryan Adams
Don’t Look Back – Boston
25 or 6 to 4 – Chicago
Same Old Lang Syne – Dan Fogelberg
Layla – Derrick & the Dominoes
Juke Box Hero – Foreigner
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer – George Thorogood
Carefree Highway – Gordon Lightfoot
These Dreams – Heart
Cherry Bomb – John Cougar Mellencamp
Don’t Stop Believin' – Journey
Ballad of Curtis Lowe – Lynyrd Skynyrd
Sweet Home Alabama – Lynyrd Skynyrd
Paradise by the Dashboard Lights – Meatloaf
The Killing of Georgie – Rod Stewart
The Boxer – Simon & Garfunkel
Renegade – Styx
Panama – Van Halen

For newer songs I’d add:
River of Stone – Restless Heart
Where Was I – Sawyer Brown
Rock & Roll Dreams – Meat Loaf
Speed – Montgomery Gentry
Between You and Paradise – Sawyer Brown
South December Road – Gary Morris
You’re not in Kansas Anymore – Jo Dee Messina
Not Ready to Make Nice – Dixie Chicks

hotrodgrany

Don't *any* of you guys like Country and Western?....personally, I happen to like both :wink:

But nothing beats....

Ca Highway 1 + Cal Special + Cal Cutie + Old Beach Boys tune ("Cal Girls") = Finest Kind!! :smile:

I loved rock & Roll, but you have to know that I graduated in 65 and Beatles were #1 way back than. But my husband was country and I converted, but still remember the Beach Boys and Chuby Chercker and this is realy telling my age, but country is a little rock & roll now. My Grandson loves his music like all the rest his age but every once in a while he listens to certain western songs with me. And I am not afraid to turn up the volume loud in my Stangs, and just enjoy. You should have seen my Granddaughter and me this past summer. We were crusing,in my 04 Mustang convetible,and had the volume cranked up high, just girls doing things we love the best, and the wind blowing through your hair, so awsome. Can't wait till summer!!!!!

hotrodgrany

:wink:
Don't *any* of you guys like Country and Western?....personally, I happen to like both :wink:

But nothing beats....

Ca Highway 1 + Cal Special + Cal Cutie + Old Beach Boys tune ("Cal Girls") = Finest Kind!! :smile:

I loved rock & Roll, but you have to know that I graduated in 65 and Beatles were #1 way back than. But my husband was country and I converted, but still remember the Beach Boys and Chuby Chercker and this is realy telling my age, but country is a little rock & roll now. My Grandson loves his music like all the rest his age but every once in a while he listens to certain western songs with me. And I am not afraid to turn up the volume loud in my Stangs, and just enjoy. You should have seen my Granddaughter and me this past summer. We were crusing,in my 04 Mustang convetible,and had the volume cranked up high, just girls doing things we love the best, and the wind blowing through your hair, so awsome. Can't wait till summer!!!!!:wink: