• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How many GT/CS are left on the road?

Jeff Knoll

Just curious if anyone has an idea of how many 1968 California Specials are still on the road? In searching the web, the percentage of all 68 Mustangs seems to range between 5% and 10%. Just wondering if this sounds correct?

Mosesatm

All I can telll you for sure is that we have roughly 1350 in the registry out of 4118 produced.
The key question is what percentage of the cars do we have in the registry.

OP
OP
Jeff Knoll

Jeff Knoll

Mosesatm,
Thanks for the reply! The number is much higher than I expected...I wonder if the collectability of these cars has kept more of them around?

Last edited:

CougarCJ

Mine hadn't been registered, or driven, for years and years before I bought it. Hopefully that will change in 2013.

quicknick

Perhaps we should do a poll with our members here to give ourselves a rough estimate of how many of our cars are road worthy. I know it won't be dead accurate, because not every CS is registered here. But I get asked this question all the time at car shows and it would be nice to throw out a close estimate. My 3 are still on the road.

Midnight Special

...Whenever I'm asked, I approximate by simply saying "less than half of the 4118" still exist".

In our travels locally, Renee and I plus other friends have spotted numerous '68s that are neither members or registered. Although cordial and enthusiastic, most of those folks weren't interested in the net or the registry (or they accept our invitation but never get around to joining up...)

At the same time, thanks to Mike, Bob and Arlie, the registry continues to grow and grow! Cars on Ebay and CL are still being noted and logged regularly.

As for polling members. Many here just aren't that active anymore, or they come & go, so a "headcount" would take months and only duplicate a small percentage of the current registry.

I think the best hope we'll always have is to engage people, get VINs where possible and get the info to Mike. I wouldn't be surprised to see the number reach the 2000 mark with time....>

That said; my six are roadworthy and there are at least three more besides Mike's two and Renee's one nearby as well. There are also another two that are awaiting restoration. 12+2=14 in my small area :)

OP
OP
Jeff Knoll

Jeff Knoll

All, thanks for the replies. I now have a better understanding just how many might still be on the road. Just like others have stated, I get asked this question all of the time when at car shows. I can now give a more informed answer.

Is there another Registry other than the one on this site? If I am looking at the "New Registry" correctly there are 498 registered with some of these not being GT/CS. I want to make sure I have my car registered properly.

Thanks!

dalorzo_f

How long is a piece of string? :wink:

What does it matter if its one-of-"x" left... there are "many"... is what it is... Enjoy the one you have!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Is there another Registry other than the one on this site? If I am looking at the "New Registry" correctly there are 498 registered with some of these not being GT/CS. I want to make sure I have my car registered properly.

The registry on this site is really just to supplement the hard copy registry that Mike Jewell now runs. By filling out the online form here on the site your car will get to Mike, but if you are concerned about speed you can also send him your info directly (which also allows you to include extra info like Marti reports, photos, etc.)

You can get Mike's contact info in the sticky thread at the top of this forum called "New GT/CS Registry" http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9363

And there are certainly still cars out there waiting to be registered. At the Concord CA show today someone came up and started talking to us about his GT/CS that isn't in the registry. Of course Mike was all over that and quickly got all his info.

Mustanglvr

I'd say, any car that is worthy of being cloned (as much as the GT/CS) is worthy of being considered as a collectible worth keeping. :grin:

Matstng

What ever the number is it will hopefully increase by one next year. My project hadn't been on the road in 15 years when I bought it but I should have it going soon.

OP
OP
Jeff Knoll

Jeff Knoll

Matstng,
I see your in Simi Valley...only an 1.5 hour drive for me. When you get it up and running we will need to meet up and cruise the specials. :grin: Good luck with your build!

Matstng

Jeff,
Sounds good to me.. I hope to be on the road within a year but I do have a std old 68 coupe which is just about complete and does run if you're up for a drive.

BTW, I was just in you area a couple weeks ago doing some ballooning, wine tasting, and horse back riding for my wifes B-day. Tried to get in touch with a painter I've used. (Miller's Customs)

Matt

GT/CS S Code

One more ...!

Well, ours is still up and running, but unfortunately it's sitting dormant in our garage out in Victoria with the battery tender on it while we're out in Manitoba for a family visit, so it won't be driven until we get back home again!
:sad:
(I hope it's not feeling TOO neglected while we're away ...)

OP
OP
Jeff Knoll

Jeff Knoll

Matt,
Just let me know when your ready...I am always up for a good drive.

The wine and balloon and wine festival is a big deal for the community. Thats the only time I can get my friends to come visit us from orange county and LA. LOL

Last edited: