• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lucky Break

Nitro Dan

Hi folks,

I'm now the proud owner of a '68 GT CS.:eek: This car was hid on my lot for several months under a cover. When I realized I was being freeloaded on, I filed a lien on it. After figureing up storage fees, the total toll came to almost $1,300.00. The owner was searched and notified of the bill, but I got no response. After the 30 day waiting period was up the car went up for public auction, no one even showed up! They could of had this car for $1,300.00!

It's red, looks like it's been in a garage all it's life, and has less then 40k on the odometer. Interior looks like new. I had no idea what these cars were worth.:eek:

Where do I go from here?

Dan

Diesel Donna

Oh my gawd!! You give it to meeeee!!!!

Post pictures please..I'll give you $1,500.00!

HappyHour

Dang and here I have been shopping online for one when I should be looking under car covers in lots huh?? Congratulations!! 40K miles WOWW!! You cant write a better story than that!

RobKat

PS. I would start by checking some CS on eBay but I think this one is in a class by itself. :grin:

OP
OP
N

Nitro Dan

LOL Donna, you could have got it for that a week ago!

My wife wants to keep it and drive it from time to time. I would rather sell it off. I will get some pics up when I get a chance.

OP
OP
N

Nitro Dan

Dang and here I have been shopping online for one when I should be looking under car covers in lots huh?? Congratulations!! 40K miles WOWW!! You cant write a better story than that!

RobKat

PS. I would start by checking some CS on eBay but I think this one is in a class by itself. :grin:

Thanks RobKat!

I have to figure out a way to verify the mileage, but just looking at the car it looks to be right. It's super clean.:icon_ecst

Midnight Special

...What a great way to go!
'Looking forward to the pics and engine/ trans data, but safe to say you have some real $$ there. Do some research before you decide to sell, tho my guess is that your wife will fall in love w/ it :)

Mosesatm

The 1st thing to do is check the VIN. Does it start with 8R01? That is the only way it can be a true GT/CS or HCS.

Another important number is the VIN's 5th digit, which will be either C, J, R, S, T, X. If it's an "R" please quietly contact me off-line and we'll chat about it! :icon_ecst

As others have said, pictures will be the biggest help.

franklinair

What a find!
Some years ago a friend of mine found & bought a '67 Shelby tucked away in the corner of a body shop. All intact, minus interior. He bought it for $1,700. As he was a DEAR friend, I offered to let him double his investment by selling me the car for $3,400. Being a family website, I can't print his answer!
Good luck with an apparent great find.
Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
N

Nitro Dan

The 1st thing to do is check the VIN. Does it start with 8R01? That is the only way it can be a true GT/CS or HCS.

Another important number is the VIN's 5th digit, which will be either C, J, R, S, T, X. If it's an "R" please quietly contact me off-line and we'll chat about it! :icon_ecst

As others have said, pictures will be the biggest help.

The VIN starts with 8R01, and the 5th digit is a J, I don't know what the "J" means.:scared:

The mill is a 302 4bbl with a C-4 tranny. It has a black vinyl top that looks flawless, as does the interior. I don't have my camera with me today but I will get them up ASAP.

Mosesatm

The VIN starts with 8R01, and the 5th digit is a J, I don't know what the "J" means.:scared:

The mill is a 302 4bbl with a C-4 tranny. It has a black vinyl top that looks flawless, as does the interior. I don't have my camera with me today but I will get them up ASAP.

"J" is the designation for a 302 4bbl. If you take off the air cleaner and look behind the intake manifold the VIN should be stamped on the top of the block. It may be covered in gunk so you may need to wipe it off before you can see the numbers. If those numbers match the VIN you still have the original engine.

OP
OP
N

Nitro Dan

"J" is the designation for a 302 4bbl. If you take off the air cleaner and look behind the intake manifold the VIN should be stamped on the top of the block. It may be covered in gunk so you may need to wipe it off before you can see the numbers. If those numbers match the VIN you still have the original engine.

Cool, thanks! I will check it out. That will be a big tell tale sign.:grin:

OP
OP
N

Nitro Dan

Congrats man! Awesome deal!

Cory

Thanks Cory. I just hope the legal department has crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's.....With all the cars we have had to seek titles for, (abandoned) this one looks like a lollapollosa.....:eek:

hookedtrout

Thanks Cory. I just hope the legal department has crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's.....With all the cars we have had to seek titles for, (abandoned) this one looks like a lollapollosa.....:eek:

I hear ya, it's one of those things that you wake up at night and keep thinking this is too good to be true, you worry that everytime the phone or doorbell rings it's going to be someone to break the bad new that some little legal glitch is going to ruin it all. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Cory

P

PNewitt

IF and when you get the chance, I'd pressure wash, or steam clean the whole underside on a lift.

That way, you'll get a really good look at what's under there, and what needs repair/replacement. Plus, you'll get to see where the oil leaks are, etc.

Then clean, clean, clean the whole car.

These cars are at an age now where you need to go through a repair/rebuild a lot farther than just one or two little things. For example, I'd tear down and completely rebuild the whole front end--and magnuflux the spindles. I had one break on me back in 1982, about 500 feet from merging onto highway 8 in San Diego! My "Guardian Angel" was lookin' out for me that day. The only thing holding it together was the brake caliper!! Also--you might get a look at the timing chain--and look at the quality of the trans fluid.

Etc., etc...

Paul N.

OP
OP
N

Nitro Dan

Can anyone help me with these numbers, as to what they signify?

VIN: 8R01J141533

BLOCK # 8R141533

DOOR PLATE # 8R01J141533

BODY # 65A
COLOR #2A
TRIM # 13B
DATE # 72

5 W