• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New Guy Hello

Scotti

Hey folks I'm a newbi, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Scotti, I have rebuilt several cars (20ish) over the years and my mustang phase was the best years of my life. Unfortunately there was some heart break in those years as well, which made me walk away from the Stang world for awhile. Currently I'm restoring vintage Range Rovers. I have restored a few Mustangs over the years, starting with a Shelby G.T. 350, which I found sitting in a guys back yard in the early 80's. I did a 70 fast back, a 65 coup and a 66 fast back. All of these projects were done in the 80's..

Yesterday I drove to my mothers house, (several hours away) to visit, and to see an uncle, who I have not seen for 35 years. During the visit, my uncle told me he has a Mustang which he purchased from the original owner, 20 years ago. Unfortunately, while driving it, he hit something on a back country road which caused some damage to the front end, so he parked it, 15 years ago! To make a long story short (to late) He asked me if I wanted it, and of course I said yes. He then said it was a red GT California Special, 100% complete..

He and his wife fly home tomorrow and will be sending me photos, so I'll post them up at that time.

I feel like a kid waiting to open the Cracker Jacks box..:grin:

Scotti

stangfan

Welcome aboard. Sounds like it is time to get your Mustang mojo going again. Let's see some pictures when you get them.

:grin:

Ruppstang

Hey folks I'm a newbi, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Scotti, I have rebuilt several cars (20ish) over the years and my mustang phase was the best years of my life. Unfortunately there was some heart break in those years as well, which made me walk away from the Stang world for awhile. Currently I'm restoring vintage Range Rovers. I have restored a few Mustangs over the years, starting with a Shelby G.T. 350, which I found sitting in a guys back yard in the early 80's. I did a 70 fast back, a 65 coup and a 66 fast back. All of these projects were done in the 80's..

Yesterday I drove to my mothers house, (several hours away) to visit, and to see an uncle, who I have not seen for 35 years. During the visit, my uncle told me he has a Mustang which he purchased from the original owner, 20 years ago. Unfortunately, while driving it, he hit something on a back country road which caused some damage to the front end, so he parked it, 15 years ago! To make a long story short (to late) He asked me if I wanted it, and of course I said yes. He then said it was a red GT California Special, 100% complete..

He and his wife fly home tomorrow and will be sending me photos, so I'll post them up at that time.

Scotti

Welcome, there is a lot of help on this site if your are restoring a GTCS
Great story I can not wait to see how it ends.
Marty

somethingspecial

Welcome Scotti, and congrats. Hope it is all you hope it is. Can't wait to see pics and find out more about the car. Keep us posted. Your friendly neighborhood Registrar. Mike

robert campbell

I can't wait to help you make it a 500 HP Camaro eating Ford!!! Louder is better. Faster is fun!!!

Whoops, I like to hot rod them!!!

Rob

Batgirl89

Welcome Scotti!
A lot of good times here and a bunch of knowledgeable people to help!
They help me all the time!!
Sheryl

Midnight Special

.....He then said it was a red GT California Special, 100% complete..

Scotti

...What a great story! I love Cracker Jacks! ;-)

Attachments

• _DSC0901.jpg
    _DSC0901.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 32

mbsf1970

Welcme Scotti!

you've found THE place to be for the Gt/Cs. Its full of information and fellow admirers of this car who are ready and willing to lend their expertise....Can't wait to see the pics and hear about the next phase of this project! here's hoping you find your Mustang groove once more!
Stephen

franklinair

Welcome. Where are you located?
Hope it's not too near Rob in Seattle. He is cursed with spending OPM, and scorching rear tires.:wink:

Neil

OP
OP
S

Scotti

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome! I've called my mom at least half a dozen times to see if uncle Dave has headed home yet. I'm just too excited!! I will most certainly post photos! Robert, thanks for the offer to help spend the money I don't have lol..

Scotti

OP
OP
S

Scotti

Ok I'm back, unfortunately I don't have the car yet, But I got the photos!! That didn't take long lol..

Attachments

• frist canon P 165.jpg
    frist canon P 165.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 51
  • frist canon P 150.jpg
    frist canon P 150.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 45
  • frist canon P 154.jpg
    frist canon P 154.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 52
  • frist canon P 149.jpg
    frist canon P 149.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 51
  • frist canon P 147.jpg
    frist canon P 147.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
S

Scotti

Update I got the Vin. 8R01C159218 Now I need to break it down :smile:

OP
OP
S

Scotti

Folks here is the Question of the day, is this worth restoring? I haven't really been able to figure out what the restored value is? I'm more then capable of doing all the work myself. Leaving emotions out of it, what is the restored value?

Thanks

Scotti

robert campbell

Scotti,
Car looks like a 289 auto car with power steering and manual brakes. Can't tell if has a deluxe interior or other options like a tach or lower console. Car has the trim piece for a vinyl top?

Based on that, fully restored with the numbers matching engine and transmission is the $20k to $25k in my mind. The term fully restored is good pictures of a complete rotisserie down to metal restoration. All new interior and chrome. Full documentation on the engine and tranny/rear end rebuild.

Basically what people call a #1 car. Factory wrinkles have been removed. Much attention to fit and finish of the door trunk and hood gaps. Basically a car just a bit better than factory new. Most people drive and own #3 cars. #2 cars are showroom condition without factory blemishes or misalignment. Nice article in a Mustang Monthly recently where the panel fit and finish is addressed.

This is just one man's opinion. I am typically low. It is always so hard to value a car without seeing it. But in your case you are restoring it. It is sad when am inexperienced buyer jumps out and gets a car that has major flaws but pays full price.

Now myself, I drive my cars and love them. I respect the concurs hobby, but it is not for me. My cars are # 3's for sure, but that is ok with me!! I buy them because I want to keep them. One since 1977 and the other since 1989. It is important to feel you are not underwater in your car, but with you doing all the work, you should be ok.

Of course your labor is only 10 bucks and hour...... If that.....

Rob

franklinair

Looks like a really good candidate to restore. (Also lots of work & $$$)
After you get the Marti Report to see the original configuration, you'll need to check out any potential rust issues (cowls, frame, floorpans)

Neil