• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

CougarCJ

J code 302-4V's should have dual exhausts with an H-pipe.

On many of the Ford/Mercury car lines starting in 1968, V-8's with 4 barrel carburetors automatically received dual exhausts. This is true for Mustangs and Cougars.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott,
Stock hangers to my knowledge. To include the ones on either side of the gas tank by the leaf springs rear perch. I learned on 67 Mustangs that if dual exhaust was part of that a factory option, where the exhaust hangers mount on the frame rail there is a "spacer" inside the frame rail so when you tighten the exhaust hanger you cannot crush the frame rail. I sure sign of factory installed dual exhaust on a 67. My 68 has the spacers on both sides. Not sure if that means the same thing as a 67 with duals. More science on the differnces between dual and single exhaust cars.... Again, to what I have seen. My 67 GTA car has the spacers and I decoded another 67 GTA coupe without dual exhaust on a 289. It did not have the spacers inside the frame rail.

The fun continues.....

Rob

P

PNewitt

Robert's car was sold off the dealer's lot on April 22nd (1968), so there is a possibility that one or more of those GNS Mustangs were modified with GT/CS parts by the dealer.

I have an Autolite (Ford dealer) Newsletter that lists out many CS parts that could have been ordered by the dealer to repair a CS, OR build one, or just modify a Mustang coupe or convertible with CS these add-on parts from Ford.

It might not sound plausible for a dealer to do that (from a $$ standpoint) --but we're talking Spring '68 when sales were down, and dealers were doing stuff like this (like Mel Burns Ford in Long Beach offering "GT-500 Super Snake" Shelbys).

If this happened, it wouldn't show up on any version of a Marti report.

I tell ya, if Robert finds an ad in a Feb-April '68 Seattle paper, with "a few" dealer promo; Gold Nugget Specials--GT/CS versions, we've got some awesome new history here!!

It's the fact that there are at least two GT/CSs in my registry with the 741111 DSOs that makes me wonder what we actually may have here.

Stay tuned!

Paul N.

rvrtrash

On many of the Ford/Mercury car lines starting in 1968, V-8's with 4 barrel carburetors automatically received dual exhausts. This is true for Mustangs and Cougars.

My car is a J code and was single exhaust. It's duals now but I added that. I saved the original rear pan and there are no cutouts. It's a May 15th build date.

Steve

CougarCJ

My car is a J code and was single exhaust. It's duals now but I added that. I saved the original rear pan and there are no cutouts. It's a May 15th build date.

Steve

That is interesting, I have been under the impression that the Mustangs came with factory duals with a V-8 and 4 barrel carburetor. I understood that Mustangs came with a resonator behind the mufflers, but other than that I thought they would be the same as Cougars.

I did find a mention of the two tone paint option in the Mustang Recognition Guide 1965-1973.
Page 113
Two-Tone paint option was offered only in 1968 for Mustangs with the louvered hood. With the option, special low gloss black paint stripes extend from inside the hood louvers to the base of the windshield.

On Ford data plates it was very common for factory two tones to have a two digit paint code. The first letter or number designating the main body color.

Midnight Special

...My white J code (302 4v) had its original single exhaust when I bought it last year. I replaced it w/ new dual exhaust/ Flowmasters. I'm the second registered owner since '68...

case12

Casey,
I always called those cars Gold Nuggets and not Gold Nugget "Specials". What is interesting is how two cars within one day of each others build date both have the GT/CS "stuff" on them. That adds to the intrigue. Maybe dealer installed or???? Funny that Lee Gray mentioned this possibility to Paul in his interview. Certainly he would not have said it if these cars were just the deluxe Gold Nugget and had not tie to the GT/CS cars. Hmmm???
Rob

That is why I asked Kevin Marti specifically about the word "Gold Nugget Special" and he responded there was no tie to the CS. Plus, the build date of your GNS is before factory production for the CS.

However, if they are dealer installed, as considered by Paul, with factory parts in 68, then that makes them rare (including being Gold Nugget Specials which are rare of themselves) and gives them both an interesting history.

I may have missed in the thread - were both cars sold at the same dealer? That could be a good clue about the dealer install theory.

(BTW, I love collecting this detailed history stuff, thus the reason I am enjoying the dialogue) Casey

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
Got confirmation on my basic report order for the other Gold Nugget Special in the GT/CS registry. I may need to upgrade to a deluxe report to see if it was sold at the same dealer (Smith Gandy Ford, Seattle). I just ordered the Seattle Post Intelegencer mico fiche into my local library from January 1 through March 31 of 1968, to scan for adds on these cars. Will share what I dig up. Expect the the fiche in the next 5 to 7 days.

Of note Casey, I contacted Marti works myself and talked to Joe. He is not confident of what the elite report will show. Time will tell. I am curious. Did Kevin do a search for all the GT/CS options showed on a report in the database? And then looked at the earliest VIN with its build date to establish the earliest possible date? I would agree that my car would not show as it does not have the California Special option line. Or did he search the elite report data that shows the $194 dollar option and all its breakdown. The second search would be conclusive.

Of the two authorities, Kevin or Lee Gray, I would tend to believe Lee Gray on these cars existense. Or as I said in an earlier thread, "why would he even have told Paul of this connection to the GT/CS line".

Time will tell and unfortunately we may never be able to disclaim the existance of these two cars. I hope to provide the solid facts.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Cal Girl,
What a beautiful car!! I like the custom touches you have done to the car. I am not much of a puriest and our 67 GTA was a lime gold car also. Make it how you want it!!!

You had a fire!!! From the pix, lots of smoke damage, but it looks like you came through it fairly unscathed. That is so scary to think about.

I have been to this the site you suggeted. It talks about gold nugget specials and my car may just be one of them. At the same time who knows. Intrigues me that Lee Gray mentioned the existance of gold nugget specials that may have had the GT/CS option. I am trying to figure this out once and for all. This may take some digging even deeper than a Marti report. Lots of wierd things happened and this may or not be one of them.

Thanks for taking an interest in my search and for the the link!!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
The micro fish for the 1968 Seattle newspapers are in. I will go down tommorow and start looking through them. They are from January 1 through March 31 1968. See if I can find some advertisements that will shed some light.

Of note, I ordered the Ford "999" history report for both my and Janice Brulc's car. This is a replication of the build sheet from Ford. I will compare it to the data from the Marti reports. My hope is they will support each other.

The most ineresting thing on my mind is none of the 14 cars at the Feruary debut have surfaced. We all know that they would not have been "factory built" but built on the fly. I would wager that if we ever found one, it would deviate from what we know of as a "factory" built GT/CS. We know that these were "one off" assembled cars from cars that had already been assembled on the factory line. I am not saying my car is one of the first 14, but what did car 15 through 30 look like. Were they ordered after February 15th or were they built on the fly so to speak??

The search continues. One thing I have learned since owning my first Mustang in 1973.... Just when you think you know it all... something comes up different. I contacted Janice again and gave my phone number to her to give to Tom Shields. He owned and registered the other "gold nugget special" in Paul's first book. It also is a very early build date, one day after mine. Hopefully he will call and shed some light on that car.

Rob

rvrtrash

You'll be disappointed in the 999 report. It isn't a copy of the build sheet, just lists the bare minimums. Mine didn't even list my car as a CS. I had to get the Marti for that. With that said, it's an interesting piece of documentation for your collection.

Steve

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I received the micro fish for the Seattle PI for January 1 through March 31 of 1968. I have gone through the month of January so far. I found references to the gold nugget in an advertisement from Metke Ford of Seattle. I have seen Smith Gandy Ford adds where mine was purchased, but not mention of the gold nugget. I also found the advertisement from Ford itself announcing the gold nugget. Ford refers to it as a gold nugget and not a gold nugget special. Semantics I guess over the years. Nothing definitive there. The gold nugget is the basic coupe with a c stripe, black out hood, black vinyl top, and so on as most of us know. Not a GT/CS in any way. Ad says only 525 will be made and came out on 29 January.

I have the basic Marti report for Janice Brulc/Tom Shields car. I will post it and if I can get a better copy the stuff on the gold nugget I have got so far, I will post that to. The Marti report for Janice’s car is basically the same as mine. Not as many options, but refereed to as a gold nugget “special” in the option line. The basic report does not have the dealer, but it is a different dealer than Smith Gandy Ford.

I am trying to get a hold of Tom Shields or see if Janice can visit her old car. I am curious as to the location of the CS script on the side. In a prior thread I mention that my car, which only has the original right quarter panel, had holes up higher for the CS script. Basically in the same location as the first 14 cars. Janice’s car is a day or so newer than my car. Paul was going to look to see if there were any gold cars in the first 14 at the debut on 15 February. Again I do not think that these cars may have been in the debut, but they are so early that if they are GT/CS’s, these two cars would more than likely been hand assembled from completed cars, and may not be the same as the factory GT/CS cars that came later, when they were ordered and assembled from the beginning as a GT/CS. As I stated before, I wonder in age of VIN, what would cars RIGHT AFTER the debut look like. Would some more hand-assembled cars have been made?

The search continues…..

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Paul,
I added three pix to my gallery today. Two are from the inside of the trunk that shows the location of the original holes in the right quarter. I provided some dimensions and then duplicated the location of just the “California” script on the outside. The holes were not welded. We just went over them with a light glaze in 1989. As I told you before, I thought the holes were odd so I templated Bob Wolfes Cal Special and moved both sides to the original location. As I said before, the car had a crappy replacement of the left quarter when I got it so I replace the complete left quarter to the door jam, roof “C” pillar, and around to the taillight panel. I then moved the left script to the “traditional” location also.

I never tried this before, but as you see I duplicated just the “California” script on the outside of the right quarter. Now if you refer to pages 29 and 30 of your original registry, you get a visual. Bottom right of page 30 shows a photo of one of the February 15 debut cars. Look at the relationship of the “California” script to the “Mustang” script on the trunk lid. Take a look at my photo with the holes duplicated on the outside of the quarter panel. Look at the holes on my car and its relationship to the “Mustang” script on my cars trunk lid. Hmmmmm…..Top left page 30 shows the traditional location relationship. Page 14 shows a bigger photo of the one on page 30.

I am trying to get to Tom Shields or Janice to lock at their old car. Might be the same, might not be. You indicated that you had more “color” photos of the original 14 cars at the debut. Wonder if a gold colored one with a black vinyl top was there? If not, is my car one of the very next assembled?

Ain’t we having fun!! How many other people would take a sharpie to the inside of their trunk? I am of a mind to move both scripts up! That is where they were to the best of my knowledge when this car was “produced”. Either a “one off” very early like the first 14, or???? It amazes me that none of the first 14 have surfaced. I would love to see one of those in person!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
The Seattle PI search is complete. No joy on any ad showing anything about a "Gold Nugget GT/CS". Found lots of cool ads about the "gold nugget" version for the Northwest. A basic coupe with a "C" stripe, sunlit gold, black vinyl top, and a special plaque on the dash. Of note, my car shows no evidence of this plaque.

Going through the papers I found lots of names of salesmen and sales managers. By chance I contacted one of the salesman for Smith Gandy Ford and got a solid lead on a manager in charge of ordering. I contacted him today and he is going through some history he has. If a gold nugget GT/CS combo was produced it would have been very few in total. Maybe even sold off to someone employed at the dealer.

The search continues.....

Of note I am trying to contact Tom or Janice for a pic of their car. I am curious o the postion of the quarter panel script on thier car. It will add to the intrigue....

Rob