• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Old fluids

Doug

I have some old brake, transmission and oil that has been is in sealed containers; the question that I have do these fluids ever get old and non-useable?

Thanks - Doug

Diesel Donna

I have heard that the viscosity of oil breaks down after a while....but that's all I've heard.

Scott

I think it depends on the additives and the type of stuff it is. I had some moebis watch grease that had seperated but supplier said it was normal and to just mix it in. In Australia brake fluid even has a use-by date so I'd side with tim on it being a bit risky. No idea why though as oil itself doesn't change until extremely high temperatures and is normally only effected by contamination and seperation.

A mate of mine just paid a few thousand dollars for an old shell oil stand full of unused bottles from the fifties... maybe you should hang onto them a bit longer Doug.

nfrntau

I wouldn't use them just because they might look good on the shelf. Just kidding.
Brake fluid will absorb water over a period of time. If it has never been opened and has a sealed top you should be fine but why risk it?