• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Road Trip Weirdness

Stacey Enderle

bear's meat for the trooper

On Thursday I was driving South on 97 between Tonasket and Omak. I had already driven 2700 miles and was only 30 miles from my destination. There were 4 cars in a line in front of me with a Washington state trooper in the #2 spot. He suddenly pulled over to the right and tucked in behind me! WTH! I wasn't speeding and have all my tags up to date so what was he doing? (I'm sure Marion already knows what he was up to!)

So he then backed off about 100 yards and we all cruised along until someone driving a new Buick came blasting past us. Busted! The trooper hit the lights, flipped around and pulled the guy over in a flash.

I'm not sure if the trooper had tagged the Buick when the trooper was hidden in our little convoy, then pulled behind all of us so he could make his capture (that seems like a long shot for his radar), or if he used me as a decoy because the driver of the Buick was looking straight at my car when he passed and obviously didn't notice the trooper's car behind me.

Either way it was some smart troopering. Just a friendly warning, don't speed in Washington State.

I must say that was quite clever! LOL That trooper got his quarry that day!

Stacey

Stacey Enderle

Some poignant roadtrip observations.

It is not possible to tan both arms equally while driving

When driving in shorts left legs also tend to burn

Vinyl does not absorb moisture of any type

Leaving an unopened bag of trail mix in the car all day creates a mushy 3 pound blob of various food items stuck in chocolate

Taking that bag into a cool hotel room creates a hard block of various food items stuck in chocolate

Driving towards a hurricane does not seem overly intelligent

Do not work on a hot car in a hot parking lot after driving for 12 hours in hot weather. Just trust me on this one.

Awful noises are usually just the car getting settled in for the long haul

Every Rose Has its Thorn is the greatest road song of all time

It is possible to live on Almond M&Ms, Diet Mt Dew, and Tostitos

If you can reach the light switch your shoulder harness isn’t tight enough

It is possible to raise the passenger window from the driver’s seat, but not quickly or safely. It is especially tricky attempting such a feat when the knob breaks off

Take extra window knobs

Carbureted engines don’t like temperature and altitude changes

The fastest route may not be the best route, AKA take the highways instead of the interstates

Montana is extremely Wiiiiiiide

Sioux Falls is a wonderful city

The road from Cheyenne to Denver is ALWAYS under construction

To stay awake when feeling drowsy sing out loud to the road songs.

iPod

When traveling through small towns wave to everyone, most of them will wave back

It should be legal to shoot people who admire our cars by driving in the blind spot

If your plan is to leave at sunrise and drive East the plan should be tweaked

Driving down an idiot brother’s mile-long washboard dirt driveway apparently removes wheel weights from 10-spokes, which won’t be noticed until reaching 74mph on the interstate. It also won’t be noticed that the same idiot brother forgot to return your ½” drive breaker bar until a 10-spoke needs to be removed to tighten a wheel bearing.

There is an auto parts store across the street from the Spring Hill Suites, in Billings.

Spring Hill Suites are great hotels

When replacing wheel bearings make sure the inner races are firmly set against the hubs.

Make side trips to visit other GT/CS and HCS owners.

Bugs eventually wash off paint, except for those mutant yellow acid-filled alien creatures

The first bug splatter on a clean windshield is always right in front of the driver’s nose

Dragonflies make huge windshield splatters

Rounding a corner and seeing a deer in the middle of the road is an exciting experience, but it pales in comparison to rounding a corner a half hour later and seeing a cow standing in the road.

There is a big honkin’ statue on a mountain just outside of Butte, Montana.
http://www.ourladyoftherockies.com/

Most Chevy pickup drivers will not acknowledge the existence of GT/CSs, even when their passengers jump up and down on the seat, beat on the drivers’ arm, and point

Front vent windows are wonderful inventions

’68 Mustang inner door handles and seat belts mystify some people to the point of amusement

Arlie,

It was a very pleasurable site to see you pull up on your "in-law's" drive way and got to visit with you for a bit. I know it was hot already that day and Barb wanted to get back into the house. I took a few pictures of your beautiful CS. As soon as I get the chance I'll post those here.

Stacey

rvrtrash

Thank you. There's a few of them out there, but white with black stripes seem to be more common.

Steve

clubpro

Hey Steve I've got a 40th anniversary cap that matches your white w/red stripe CS.

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Not on this computer; but how about a cute photo of my sister's dog, who was pouting because my brother in-law couldn't take him to work that day.

Attachments

• Murray.jpg
    Murray.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 20

rvrtrash

Not on this computer; but how about a cute photo of my sister's dog, who was pouting because my brother in-law couldn't take him to work that day.

I looked at your pic and then Arlie's new avitar and just busted up laughing. What a coincidence! :rofl:

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

And a picture of Mark's HCS from a few years ago. It was the 2006 Calendar cover car.

Attachments

• Mark's Car.jpg
    Mark's Car.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Wait a minute..........I do have a cemetery/car picture. From last year's trip, in front of the Fargo, Texas cemetery. I think it's off in the distance in the trees.

OK, bar bet trivia time. 'Cemetery' has 3 'E's and no 'A's, no matter what the people in Fargo thought.

Attachments

• Fargo Cemetery 2 DSCN0122.jpg
    Fargo Cemetery 2 DSCN0122.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 32

Midnight Special

...Arlie, is that the sort of cemetery where they recycle you into the ground to make the corn bigger? I mean; no headstones, just irrigated & plowed fields... Should we rope it off & look for Hoffa??
;-)

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

...Arlie, is that the sort of cemetery where they recycle you into the ground to make the corn bigger? I mean; no headstones, just irrigated & plowed fields... Should we rope it off & look for Hoffa??
;-)

I don't know, Tim. I think that one may be more like Pet Sematary.:scared:

Mustanglvr

;-)

No, no Tim, the cemetery is in the back of the picture in the highground.:smile: