• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Suspension parts kit or individual pcs?

BOSS3024ME

Getting ready to start ordering some suspension stuff and had a couple questions.

My car has 44,000 original miles but has sat for 30 plus years, the parts are relatively inexpensive so my gut tells me to start at the back and work forward with new leafs and bushings in the back and all the stuff in the front (ball joints tie rods upper and lower control arms ect.

First question am I going in the correct direction? IE should all this be done? (my thought is that the car has sat for so long and I do not want to put it all together only to find out I need a ball joint or a bushing)

Second question is there a "kit" you guys would recommend? I mean one that comes with all the stuff to do a front end or should I use my old control arms and just put new parts in them.

Any direction you could give would be appreciated.

Best

Paul

Mosesatm

My only advice is don't purchase suspension parts based on price. Cheap suspension parts tend to be cheap suspension parts.

whodat

I second Mosesatm. I rebuilt my front suspension and it squeals like a pig. It's on the winter list to fix.

6t8-390gt

I would check everything; with only 44K original miles the parts are likely still good. If you choose to replace I might be interested in your old parts.

A lot of the suspension parts are still available from MOOG or TRW. Both were OEM to Ford, you most likely can get them from your local parts dealer (may be special order though). I've used MOOG with good results, not identical to factory parts, but an excellent choice for a car that is going to be driven.

Danny

CougarCJ

Boss, I don't see your Marti Report posted anywhere. Not sure how your car is optioned except for 289-2V.

Now is the time to consider adding disc brakes and/or power steering to your GT/CS. Either of these components will make a difference on the front suspension parts that you order. Heavier duty front sway bar is another suggestion.

OP
OP
B

BOSS3024ME

The car is a Power Steering non power brake car. (drums)

Yes I am considering discs but also struggling with how original to keep it.

I did send a copy of the Marti to someone on here but not sure if I was supposed to post it or he was!

I am kinda old school!

somethingspecial

Marti report

Paul, Normally I don't post someone elses Marti Report, but here it is for others to see. If you upgrade your CS to include Disc Brakes, IMHO it won't hurt the value, as long as you don't do anything that can not be reversed. Mike

Attachments

• 8R01C150284_dlxrpt[1].pdf
    133.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
B

BOSS3024ME

No problem

Thanks Mike

No problem posting the report and thanks for the input!

rvrtrash

My thoughts are, how much is your car and life worth. I don't skimp on suspension or brake parts. To me, my car and my life are worth an extra hundred or so. TRW and Moog are both excellent choices, and all I use. As for reusing parts, you need to inspect carefully. The rubber boots on the ball joints will most likely be cracked. If water got in to the joint and rust formed, I'd replace them. Anything with rubber at least needs the rubber replaced, such as the Idler arm. If the grease in the Upper Control arms is old and dry, and you've driven the car much, you have wear there and it will start squeaking soon. Replace them. A lot depends on how the car was cared for over the last 40+ years.

Steve