• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Value of a 68 CS/GT

68stangx2

I found a red 68 CS/GT for sale and am considering buying it, however, this is kind of stumble across a nice car kind of thing so I haven't done much research and do not know what is is worth. It is completely restored and in very good condition. Can anyone give me a ballbark value?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
We'd need more info like engine size, options, etc. Post photos if you have them.

Doug

Take your time and ask PLENTY of questions before jumping into anything. This site is great for answering those questions. Good Luck - Doug

OP
OP

68stangx2

The engine is a basic 289. Some pictures are attached.

Attachments

• CS-GT, Cornet 440 002.jpg
    CS-GT, Cornet 440 002.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 93
  • CS-GT, Cornet 440 003.jpg
    CS-GT, Cornet 440 003.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 98
  • CS-GT, Cornet 440 008.jpg
    CS-GT, Cornet 440 008.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 82
  • CS-GT, Cornet 440 006.jpg
    CS-GT, Cornet 440 006.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 89

CougarCJ

I second the Marti report. You don't want to spend good money on a replica or clone.

Fog lights look wrong, I don't see hood locks.

Mosesatm

The 1st thing to do is get the VIN and order a Marti report.
The 2nd thing to do is let one of us look at it for you.

If you don't want to blab the location of the car all over cyberspace you can PM me and tell me what city the car is in and I can then set you up with someone near you. Heck, I've got some vacation days to get rid of before the end of the year so I may even just fly there and look at if for you if tickets are cheap enough.

We're here to help!

Last edited:

sam

definitely agree with all the above. She seems to sit pretty high esp. in the back. What's up with that? Looks to have an electic clock which is a nice option

robert campbell

Looks like the grill is gone. But that is common on alot of real GT/CS cars. Hood is aftermarket, so that is why the hood locks are not in it. although they may be able to be put in. I, like Tim, love the scoop!! I put an aftermarket hood on mine and have removed the hood lock stuff.

Ditto on all of the above. Get someone to look at it!! I feel like I really know the cars, but when I am buying I always take another person to look at it. Anyone of us can get caught up in the beauty of a car.

Car sits VERY high. But new springs can do that if not purchased with stance in mind.

I am in the Seattle area.

Rob

aemoo28

If you tell us the VIN, or PM, I could look it up to see if it's registered in our registry.

Please do take this advice- have a member of this site look at this car if you are serious about purchasing. We are here to help.

Average price seems to be $14-18K lately.

OP
OP

68stangx2

OK, I have more information.

VIN = 8R01C147860

Codes = 65B T 6A 05C 71 2W

According to the seller all numbers match, including motor and transmission. The only non-original items are the carb and the intake, however, he does have the original intake. According to him, both the 10 spoke wheels and the hood on the car were available through the dealer but not available options on the car from the factory. He has the original wheels if I want those instead, but I love the look of the 10 spokes.

I am located in the southwest Wisconsin area and am interested in the car to keep and enjoy for a long time. I am not looking at the car as an investment so I am not that concerned about everything being concours correct, but I want to make sure what I pay is in the ballbark of what the car is really worth.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Mosesatm

OK, I have more information.

VIN = 8R01C147860

Codes = 65B T 6A 05C 71 2W

According to the seller all numbers match, including motor and transmission. The only non-original items are the carb and the intake, however, he does have the original intake. According to him, both the 10 spoke wheels and the hood on the car were available through the dealer but not available options on the car from the factory. He has the original wheels if I want those instead, but I love the look of the 10 spokes.

I am located in the southwest Wisconsin area and am interested in the car to keep and enjoy for a long time. I am not looking at the car as an investment so I am not that concerned about everything being concours correct, but I want to make sure what I pay is in the ballbark of what the car is really worth.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Here is the breakdown for the codes, which all seem to match the photos:
Body: 65B 2 Door Hardtop, Luxury Interior
Color: T Candyapple Red
Trim: 6A Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Kiwi Vinyl, Luxury Interior
Date: 05C March 05, 1968
D.S.O: 71 Los Angeles
Axle: 2 2.79:1, Conventional
Trans: W C4 Automatic

The owner is incorrect about the car being all original because I'm 99% certain the fog lights are not correct. Since they are attached to the grille they should be Marchals but they are not. Either the owner doesn't know what he's talking about or he's trying to fool you. The big question then becomes why are the light not correct. Was the car damaged in the front?

If the incorrect fog lights are the only original part issue, the car has no rust, runs well, and the interior is good, I'd estimate the value in today's market at around $17,000.

robert campbell

Arlie is spot on! Grill gone is a definite sign of a front end accident.

On the plus side, the engine picture is clear enough to see two holes in the bracket on the driver side on the front of the radiator support that would hold the assembly that the hook locks lock onto. That is a good sign that it is a real GT/CS. And the hood bumpers from a non-hood lock car that normally are attached here are gone. Ask the owner if he has these assemblies. That is another indication that it is a real GT/CS.

Vin # is not in either of Paul's books. But it may be another one that has never been registered! Send for a Marti report!!

Rob

Ersel66

Looks like the hood pin brackets are there (under the hood). Looks to be a very clean car. What is the owner $ asking?

OP
OP

68stangx2

Couple of questions:

1. Several people have noted that the grill is gone. I have quite a few Mustang books that show color pictures of GT/CS Mustangs and looking at the picture I have posted and the pictures in the books, I can't tell what is missing. Can someone fill me in?

2. Again, by comparing pictures, I agree that the fog lights look a little off. Could this just be the angle of the picture?

3. Are the fog lights unique to the GT/CS mustangs? Are they fairly easy parts to find (assuming I would need to replace the ones on the car)?

The owner seems to really know his cars. He is selling the car because he has a couple of other project cars that he wants to work on but is short on cash. He also has a J-code GT/CS that is in excellent condition that he is keeping. He is asking $25,000 but he seems somewhat flexible on price. I originally saw the car at a swap meet and I get the feeling he listed a price higher than what he really thinks he will get because most people offer less than the asking price.

OP
OP

68stangx2

Another question:

Several people have recommended getting a Marti report. Do I need to get the standard version or the deluxe? Also, what will the Marti report show me/prove that VIN and code numbers don't?

Mosesatm

Another question:

Several people have recommended getting a Marti report. Do I need to get the standard version or the deluxe? Also, what will the Marti report show me/prove that VIN and code numbers don't?

The grille looks fine to me, other than the fact that it's the wrong color.

The standard Marti is all you need for it to prove the car is a real GT/CS. There is no other way to be 100% certain the car is real. It should say, "California Special" on it.

The fog lights were used on the GT/CS, the '68 Shelby, and one model of Ferrari. A pair of correct Marchal fog lights will run you from $300 for a fairly crappy set all the way up to $1,000 for a concours set. If you go into eBay and search for "Marchal" you'll see a couple sets for sale.

$25,000 is waaaay too much. I'll sell you an equally nice 4-speed car for less than that.

gtcs1

Another question:

Hi,

Don't spend money for it. Yes it is a true GT/CS !!!

Here is the Marti report you need, from my year of collecting them (I have about 130) , when I see them in auctions, etc...

On a sidenote, anyone who has Marti, and could send me a scan (through PM), I would be very grateful, to add them to my collection.

Hopes it helps you with your search.

Attachments

• 8R01C147860.jpg
    8R01C147860.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP

68stangx2

Thanks much or the Marti report and to all the others who have given advise. This is a great site. I am going to take another look at the car tomorrow.

By the way (for those who posted about the fog lights), I confirmed with the owner that the fog lights in the picture are not correct. The were on the car when he bought it. However, the current owner does have the correct lights. They just need to be swapped.