• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Would you like to own a T-code GT/CS?

classicsguy

I would not mind having a T -code (6 cyl) 1968 GT/CS due to its rarity but I would keep it original.Not sure about the performance since I have never owned or driven a 6 cyl Mustang

Would you like to own a T-code 1968 California Special or HCS and why?

franklinair

That '66 is too radical for my taste.
I once restored a '68 coupe 6 cyl, P/S, A/C, A/T (but not a GT/CS model). It was a sweetheart. Performance was respectable, and easy to work on. Someone posted that there were only 47 C/S's with 6 cyl, A/T. The rarity of this configuration would be appealing to me. The one on E-bay looks tempting, but I'm in the middle of 2 68's now, so the timing is wrong.

Neil

Midnight Special

Here's an example of what can be done with a T-code.

66 T-Code

Arlie, that is one wild child!

"classicsguy", I certainly respect and admire the T-code, but if I were to own one, I would likely choose a standard coupe or convertible over the CS.

To me, the CS variants preach "performance" with their scoops, lights flares and stripes. It's an elegant and classy pony that says "kick me and I'll kick you back".
So with that - I would prefer the V8 performance options that would more compliment its outward appearance over the "sweetheart" aspect of the Six...

68CaliSp

Owning an T-Code CS would be a great privilege considering its rarity. I can honestly say that the inline 6 Ford placed in its Mustangs are amazing pieces of work. I have one in my '67 coupe and it has only let me down once when the fuel filter clogged on me. Over the last 8 years that I have owned the car it has been incredibly reliable. It has been in storage for almost 2 years now and it starts every month when I have my father start it and drive it around the storage place. Although, I have agree with Midnight Special that I would rather have the V8 to go with the flashy looks of the GT/CS.

hcsstang

At the Carlisle show I ran across a guy that had a T code. I got his email address and we corresponded several years. Well he changed his address and I lost contact with him. So Mike if you are on this website I'll be glad to hear from you.

robert campbell

One of the worst things about a 6 cylinder Mustang is they are normally paired to a 3 speed manual transmission. I had a 67 coupe that I made into a mild custom with the GT/CS rear spoiler and a chin spoiler. Side scoops and some stripes. I put in a 250 6 cylinder from a 70’s era car and mated it to a top loader 4 speed. It had stock 3.25 gears and was a grin to drive. It had plenty of horse power.

The beauty of the top loader swap is it is totally a bolt in!! You do not need to change the clutch or even the drive line yoke in 67 and newer 3 speed manual cars. Of course you need the shift linkage, but it just falls right in and really wakes the 6 cylinder cars up. With the 3 speed, 3rd was always to high and second was way too busy and you always wanted a gear between. The 4 speed solved that.

This mod is a true bolt in and easy to convert back to if you want total originality. The 250 cubic inch 6 looks so similar to the 200 six it is very hard to tell. But the 4 speed would really help the 200 six also.

Rob

Midnight Special

I couldn't agree more Rob. I had a '66 with the 200, 3-speed years ago (bought it for my wife cuz it was baby blue w/ white vinyl top). Although it was great on the open road - it wasn't much fun as a family car doing errands in our hilly area. As I recall, it averaged about 18 mpg, but as you say, lived in 2nd gear most of the time. I sold it after 2 years to a co-worker who painted it red and added a 289 for his wife...

T Code Bob

I've owned mine for 11 years now and I've enjoyed the heck out of it. Upgrading from the 1 bbl Carter to a 2 bbl Weber carb has made a world of difference in drivability. Otherwise, it's all stock. The best thing was not having to freak out about gas prices last summer. I still get well over 20 MPG.

Midnight Special

...To be fair Bob, mine was pretty tired when I bought it. New top, interior and paint, but the motor & trans had alot of miles! I had to have the 3-speed rebuilt after the first six months and although the engine didn't seem to burn much oil, it did leak it. We traded her VW Rabbit for it at a used car lot solely based on it's appeal. I didn't have the extra cash to make it sweet like yours, though a 4-speed would've been ideal for my area...