• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Anyone use these Hedman Hedders shortys in their SB car?

obwan93001

Hedman Hedders 88842 (picture attached) http://www.hedman.com/products/?id=3481&iset=4842&rsku=4842

I found a new set of these on fleabay in a last minute find, bid and won them for $142 shipped, alot less than 1/2 of retail. They are brand new in the box (just taken out for pics), guy changed his mind and decided to sell and I could not pass on the deal right now, I just sold some other items to raise a little more money for a few more things for my CS and this deal came at the right time.

I'd like to know if anyone has used them in their CS/HCS or any '67/'68 Mustang with a small block engine. I'm curious if I'll have any clearance problems and/or issues using them on the '66 289 engine currently in my CS. They are advertised as block huggers so I'm thinking I won't have any clearance issues w/shock towers, see attached pic from Hedman site showing how they hug the block (they are the ones in the bottom RH corner 88420). The 2.5" collector will match right up to the 2.5" Magnaflow system I already have for the car so will be nice if I can use them. The heads I am planning on using are '65 289HP heads that I picked up last year and I have a few other upgrades to add to my engine when I freshen it up, I'm hoping these headers are going to be a nice addition.

Now, I have to stop collecting parts and stuff and start getting them on the car! That is a whole other thread right there. :icon_lol:

Thanks in advance for any info!

Oscar

Attachments

• Hedman Hedders 88842.jpg
    Hedman Hedders 88842.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 37
  • blockhuggerdimsimage.gif
    blockhuggerdimsimage.gif
    97 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Just re-read the description on Hedder's site and it states "The compact, low profile design of Hedman's Block Hugger Hedders is ideal for factory manifold replacement..."

So I guess my question is answered but it'd still be nice to hear from anyone who has used them just to be sure there won't be any surprises when I do install them on my CS.

Thanks!
Oscar

Mosesatm

They seem a little long. How close will they be to the motor mounts?

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Hedman also says the Elite series of hedder is ceramic coated, more exactly, ceramic-metallic coated which should help keep external heat temps down. It's looking more and more like I will be able to use these. I've inquired w/Hedman to confirm fitment in a '68 Mustang and to confirm these are indeed ceramic coated. I'll post back w/what they come back to me with.

Oscar

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

They seem a little long. How close will they be to the motor mounts?

I actually don't have them so can't do any measurements yet. :embarass: Shipping from NV to CA in the next day or so, I expect to have them by Friday or Monday.

Hedman does say they are a factory manifold replacement and I have asked them to confirm fitment so we'll see what they say I guess. That was my main concern w/these and was hoping someone here has used them w/good results. I also posted on the VMF to see if anyone there has them. Have had some replies but not one from someone who uses or used them yet. I'll post back w/what Hedman tells me.

Oscar

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Otay, I just confirmed my suspicions, finally had a chance to call Hedman to ask about this headers application related to the '68 Mustang and I was told they will not fit. They are specifically designed for street rods and will not work in the Mustang. :sad: I kind of figured they wouldn't work but I only had a few mins to make my decision to bid as the price was less than 1/2 of retail and didn't want to pass up the deal. I'm sure that's happened to more than one person here, I hope. :embarass: Haahaha. Live n learn, the only way! Least I should be able to get my money back or more if I can sell them to the right person. Guess I should start hitting up the street rod community forums eh.

Well, at least we here know now that these won't work so hopefully someone else learns from my being hasty and doesn't make the same mistake.

Oscar

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Btw, the Hedman Elite series Hedder that I would need is p/n: 88408 http://www.hedman.com/products/?id=3461&iset=5643&rsku== but man, $451 retail :icon_pani I only paid $150 shipped for the wrong ones. Guess I'll be using the used 86 GT factory headers I have after all! The Elite series has a ceramic-metallic thermal coating to help keep engine bay temps down, the painted and nonpainted ones are less but not what I'd want.

Oscar

Powell

headers

I am going to tell you that the Stan Johnson headers that I got used from Rob Cambell on this site are a perfect fit. I have been trying to get more information from Rob recently to let the many people that ask where these are availiable. Hopefully Rob will respond with a contact for these.

Ralph

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

These are the headers I sold to Ralph. They are JBA 1650 and fit great! A shorty header that fits almost any steering or tranny combination in a 1968 Mustang.

http://products.jbaheaders.com/assets/images/products/headers/1650s.jpg

Now if you want long tube headers that tuck up tight with zero ground clearance problems, then vist:

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/FPA index1.htm

Rob

Hey Rob! Thanks for that info. I ran across a used set of the JBA 1650S headers this evening for $128 shipped and am just waiting to hear back if the guy will accept an offer of $110 shipped. They are in good shape just dirty and will have to be cleaned up and there are no accessories of course. I've attached a couple of pics the guy sent me. From all I've read here and on the VMF these are a very good set of shortys for use w/my 289. Ralph sure likes em and you recommended them so hey, that does it for me! I may still take them if my offer is shot down, we'll see. Btw, do you know if I'll need the JBA starter tube kit to connect them up to my Magnaflow system? I'm thinking I do but want to make sure so I can look out for a set.

Also, does anyone know if there are any issues using Magnaflow's X-pipe and servicing the C4? I had someone tell me I might run into problems whenever I need to drop the trans pan. This guy isn't a Ford guy and I haven't read anything about that issue so I'm taking it w/a grain of salt but just don't need the surprise when I get around to installing things.

Thanks again for all the help here and sorry to bounce around from this type of part to that part, just trying to find a good combo at a great price that I'll be happy with and these JBA shortys seem to be a good choice, that's all. :grin:

Oscar

PS: Does anyone know of a hot rodder/street rodder that can use a new set of Hedman Elites for real cheap? LOLOL :icon_lol:

Attachments

• JBA1650SUsed1.jpg
    JBA1650SUsed1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 29
  • JBA1650SUsed2.jpg
    JBA1650SUsed2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 22

robert campbell

Oscar,
Most competent custom exhaust places can hook the JBA's to your system. The main thing is the same diameter pipe. I hope the JBA's are coming with the ball socket adaptor that hooks the tail pipe to them? With that and a short length of pipe you are all set to go.

Don't know much about the Magna Flow stuff.

Rob

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Rob, I went ahead and bought them last night and should have them in a few days. Unfortunately all I'm getting is just the headers themselves no accessories. I do plan on picking up the starter pipe kit from JBA as soon as I can, is that what you mean by the ball socket adapter? I think they're also referred to as reducers no? My Magnaflow kit is 2.5" and the collectors on these is the same size per JBA so should hook right up to the new system I'm guessing. I ended up paying $119 shipped and will have to clean them up to get them looking nice again but I don't mind (natural stainless steel finish). Does anyone have any good very hight temp paint suggestions for these? I'm thinking of a high temp clear coat of some kind to preserve the natural finish. They also appear to be pre-2005 models per the CARB exec order # on them per the seller. I've read a few stories about their quality going down recently but have heard alot more good than bad and the fact that the flanges are thick is a good thing in the way of warpage. Hell, you were happy w/them Rob and Ralph likes them too, that means alot to me. Now, back to getting my plan together to get all the parts I have now on my CS!

Oscar

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

...I've read a few stories about their quality going down recently...
Oscar

Thinking about what I said earlier it was MAC headers that I'd read were crap nowadays, not JBA. I do seem to recall reading somewhere that there were concerns about JBA after they were acquired by Pertronix and moved from San Dog to San Dimas a couple of years ago. Also had read that their tech support and customer service has taken a little bit of a dive. Btw, I Just saw that Pertronix also owns Doug's Headers, Patriot Exhaust and a few other exhaust related brands now. Kinda sucks the ma and pa manufacturers like Doug's and JBA are no longer on their own, guess this economy can do that to em.

Oscar