• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

California Special Script (PAUL NEWITT)

John McGilvary

Very interesting, HC Bob.

It may seem crazy to us to put CS script HCS, but to all those people, (including Mustang guys), who don't know much about our cars, it seems very possible. It has most likely happened the other way around. How do we really know that script was not removed from a CS to make an HCS?

John

hicountrybob

It may seem crazy to us to put CS script HCS, but to all those people, (including Mustang guys), who don't know much about our cars, it seems very possible. It has most likely happened the other way around. How do we really know that script was not removed from a CS to make an HCS?

John

Because the data plate on this car had a DSO 51, which is what brought this whole thing to my attention. Bob here.

Mosesatm

Bob, are there GT/CSs with Denver (51) DSOs or would they have all been HCSs?

P

PNewitt

Here are three photos of the side script, as they are attached, at the "opening night" event on Feb15, 1968.

Since ACSCO only had 14 days to make and apply these scripts, I believe this was a quick installation.

Excuse the lack of photo quality. These are extreme blow-ups, and are only to show how and where the script was applied. Note the variation of the applications.

Very eye-opening photos!

Paul N.

Attachments

• script1.jpg
    script1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 46
P

PNewitt

Script photo #2.

(all three photos copyright 2007, Paul M. Newitt)

Paul N.

Attachments

• script2.jpg
    script2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 55
P

PNewitt

Script Photo #3

Paul N.

Attachments

• script3.jpg
    script3.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 50

robert campbell

Paul,
Great pics! Notice the first pic of the white car with the right quarter shot of the car. I duplicated the old (higher) holes that I can still see from the inside of my trunk. I only duplicated the "California" script, put you can see some close simularities to the pic you supplied. Especially if you look at it in relationship to the Mustang script on the trunk lid. The holes in my car were definitely drilled in my opinion.

Hope you get to quiz the boys that may have been on the line soon. By the way, I just saw your title on one of the replys...... Holey moley!!! Too funny!

Rob

Attachments

• DSCN1633.jpg
    DSCN1633.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Trunk 1.jpg
    Trunk 1.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 43

nfrntau

Why no cars with backwards left hand scripts?? Hmmmmm……

Rob

I will offer the following explanation. George the hole drilling/punching guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed. He always does the right side first. Starts, says Aw S..t, I did it again and keeps going fixing it right for the other side. Does a bunch correctly, has a few beers at lunch and ... the cycle continues?

OP
OP

68 GTCS

I just got back from N.D. I read the posts that I had missed. Anyway I should find out the price of this CS in a week or so, and then I can inspect it further if i get it. HC Bob might be on to something, it just might be a HCS. If your out there Bob let me know if you could purchase a Lime Gold HCS or did you have to order your color from a chosen few? It could be possible that it was a HCS and a absent minded backyard mech. wanted a CS instead.

Thanks,
Kevin

hicountrybob

I just got back from N.D. I read the posts that I had missed. Anyway I should find out the price of this CS in a week or so, and then I can inspect it further if i get it. HC Bob might be on to something, it just might be a HCS. If your out there Bob let me know if you could purchase a Lime Gold HCS or did you have to order your color from a chosen few? It could be possible that it was a HCS and a absent minded backyard mech. wanted a CS instead.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin, I bought my 1st HCS used. And I don't understand the rest of your post?????????? Give me a refresher 101 course, would you? Thanks Bob here.

OP
OP

68 GTCS

I found another CS in the weeds. it was a 289 4-speed car I believe, motor gone but tranny is there. Anyway, the CS script is reversed on the right side, Special is before California, that has been mentioned a couple of time here before. A Friday or Monday car? Anyway I am waiting to see what he wants for it. Its kinda rough but the fiberglass parts are there.

Paul the vin is 8RO1C167096 is this in your registry?

Thanks,
Kevin

Bob,
This was the start of this, so we were trying to figure out how the scripts were backwards on the pass. side of the car. We come up with every explaination we could dream up, from drunk employees, to absent minded bodyman. Anyway I was replying to the thought that this car may be a HCS instead of a CS, maby this would explain the backwards script if they added the script to make a CS.
Just another thought. I will probably run the vin # through Marti, that would tell if it was a CS or a HCS.

Kevin

hicountrybob

Isn't the Marti the tell-tale if the car is a CS or a HCS?
Sure, Kevin Marti is the sure thing and one can note for themselves THAT if the car has a DSO 51, THAT'S DENVER DISTRIBUTION AND COULD BE A HCS or some OTHER car sent to Denver Div. If not 51, IT WOULD NOT BE A HC.
If a Cal Sp., the DSO would be 71,72,53, 75 etc. Bob here.

P

PNewitt

I'm going to toss in a "what if" to this script mix.

As far as I know (until I get to ask some key people ASAP), there might have been up to three weeks production worth of GT/CS cars with no script at all.

They may have been held up for script application at the (Milpitas) factory, OR the script was added at the dealer as part of each car's "prep work".

I'm wondering if we got a close look at any pre-Feb 21st (build dates) GT/CSs with "greater than average" goofs with the look and placement of the script.

I'll have an answer from my own research, but I thought I'd toss this out to see if anyone can correlate early production with script "mistakes".

Paul N.

OP
OP

68 GTCS

Thanks Bob and Paul, I think I will go ahead and pay the price and get a report on the car, I have not heard back from the guy yet as far as price. But it will be worth it just to find out if its a HCS or a CS. Also I will be able to get a build date. If I find out that the price is too high I will just give him the report. Also Paul, thats a great possibility, that would explain the several backwards scripts.

Kevin

OP
OP

68 GTCS

I found another CS in the weeds. it was a 289 4-speed car I believe, motor gone but tranny is there. Anyway, the CS script is reversed on the right side, Special is before California, that has been mentioned a couple of time here before. A Friday or Monday car? Anyway I am waiting to see what he wants for it. Its kinda rough but the fiberglass parts are there.

Paul the vin is 8RO1C167096 is this in your registry?

Thanks,
Kevin

I took a gamble and bought the car in the weeds. When I got home I checked and found out the Marti report was in todays mail. To my surprize It was actually a HIGH COUNTRY SPECIAL. What a treasure. I called Bob Teets to let him know that his thoughts were right on the money. Another one found!
The report is as follows:

8 1968
R San Jose
01 Mustang Hardtop
C 289-2v

65A Mustang hardtop
I Lime gold
2G Ivy gold standard Bucket seats
02U Scheduled for build July 2, 1968
51 Denver ordering district
5 3.00 standard axle ratio
5 Four speed wide ratio manual transmission

California Special
Four speed wide ratio manual transmission
F70x14 wide oval tires
white sidewall nylon tires
AM radio
tinted glass
wheel covers
High Country Special
Produced on June 20, 1968 twelve days ahead of schedule

It was a absent minded body man after all. It looks like the holes are going to get filled. Robert thanks for your imput, you can now drop your (hole) therapy class.

Kevin

John McGilvary

It may seem crazy to us to put CS script on a HCS, but to all those people, (including Mustang guys), who don't know much about our cars, it seems very possible. It has most likely happened the other way around. How do we really know that script was not removed from a CS to make an HCS?

John

I was close to the answer, but I still wounder about all the other CS's with wrong, mostly passenger side script.

John

OP
OP

68 GTCS

Very true, you were right too, and yes, I do think that script was incorrectly placed on some GTCS's. That would explain why they put CS script on a HCS the wrong, incorrect way. They had to of seen one to know how, and where to place the script. Did they look at one that was also incorrectly put on?

Here we go!
Kevin