• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

CS/HCS Name, Why Now?

P

PNewitt

First of all, what would a 347 Tiger be like? Would it's rear end slip out from under itself???? (i.e. suffer from: "Torque Rear"?) LOL!

Anyway, this has little to do with what people have already posted here; just some observations of mine, seeing the April '07 Mustang Monthly. I read Mustangs Plus "sermon of the month" by Ron Bramlett, and I'm really confused.

The title is "It's OK To Love Restomods". Well, OK, but I didn't get a single good point out of his speech. What bothers me the most from this letter is how he says two things at once: 1. Concours Restored is OK 2. If you have a less-then-complete-Mustang, well, it's OK to modify it.

What?

The other actual point he makes is that if Ford "modified" the production Mustang (i.e "California Special"), so, then why not YOU? (with; by the way, the use of his parts)... he justifies "restomod" since Ford made Boss 302s, Mach 1s, etc..

I have a hard time digesting that idea.

It's as if to say, "hey, look at all the stuff Ford and others have made, let's mix and match this stuff like crazy, and justify it all by mixing it all together by calling it a 'restomod"! Besides, that beater over there will never be concours restored, so let's load it up with these cool parts!!

Well, I find that as just pure hype. Look at the whole magazine. Lots of billet stuff, AOD trans, brakes stuff, engine stuff, suspension, etc.

Some of that stuff is good for updating your Mustang for performance, and/or safety. But a lot of "crap" is there to make money, and (IMO) to modify your Mustang into something like a rolling J.C Whitney catalog!!

Two major points:

1. Don't believe the hype and "direction" you see with the modified Mustangs in these magazines. You WILL NOT be out of the loop if you don't have a stainless steel rack & pinion, or 347 under the hood, and Mustang II front suspension.... "Perception is not Reality". The Mustang hobby, from a marketing standpoint, is always looking for the high dollars in making and selling these items. The magazines have exhausted the restoration articles, and are driven by the vendors that are making their own $$$ market.. It doesn't mean that you have to subscribe to it (no pun).

2. We FIRST need to strengthen OUR marque, the GT/CS Marque. It's been a struggle for a long time, and it's presently changing as you read this. We're making progress with MCA and the '68 GT/CS rules, and the door has now been graciously opened. This is great news. SAAC has embraced us, and we've been accepted like step-brothers to the '68 Shelbys. There is a whole "second ring" of performance Fords (and Mercs) in SAAC, and we're right up there like the flagship.

WITH the advent of greater respect and admiration, acceptance and aknowledgement, it's now "our duty" as owners to make our cars represent what they are. I'm not heading for dictating a value judgement; let's just say that we have this great opportunity, and the nicely restored and well-represented street versions are now in a class all their own (although Luis' awesome dragster version is in a class all HIS own...).

I would just hate to see any of these cars compromised by too much of this "restomod" stuff on them. People in general, would like to see the car as it was, 40 years ago. Diluting it with restomod stuff will confuse the purpose of the CS.

I still say "do what you wish", but things are moving forward now, and sticking to original will be worthwhile. As we're in the shadow of the Shelby, it might make sense to look at any mods as if you're looking at a Shelby. For what it's worth (IMO), I would only add "vintage (Shelby) performance parts on your CS; as if it was modified in late '68 or early '69.

Just my two bits.

Paul N.
p.s. Last Sunday, I saw a beautiful, 1937 Ford on the road. Totally stock, medium brown, USMC stickers, and an older couple in it. Period license plate, too. How great it looked going down the freeway. I gave them a thumbs up. Smiles all around. It represented what cars looked like then, and it made that statement all on it's own, by how it was presented in public. Very Nice!!

case12

As we're in the shadow of the Shelby, it might make sense to look at any mods as if you're looking at a Shelby.

Good point. Taking cues from the Shelby crowd, many (most) are moving back to vintage. I do know one person with a 67 shelby FB that put the paxton supercharger on it (though it did not come original), but it appears to be a vintage paxton supercharger (?). Original or not, it turns heads. Casey

rvrtrash

First of all, what would a 347 Tiger be like? Would it's rear end slip out from under itself???? (i.e. suffer from: "Torque Rear"?) LOL!

It would be a handful, that's for sure. Mine has the 260 with the LAT (Los Angeles Tiger) engine mods, Edelbrock intake, Holley Carb., Custom made headers which was supposed to be 245 hp when new. Mine has 135K miles on it so it's a little tired. I can still chirp the tires going into third. I can idle at 25 mph in 4th gear, hit the gas and it won't bog or stutter-just takes off, and it has a 2.88 rear end ratio! I think I'd pee my pants if I had another 200 hp available! :eek:

Steve

OP
OP
J

John McGilvary

Great Input, Great Thread!

As you guys know I'm new to this site and I know how to run my CS alot better than my PC.

IMO; The reason there are more and more CS clones is because they are finally getting the respect they are due. 38+ years ago they called my CS
"The poor mans Shelby" or the dealer put some plastic parts on your Mustang to make it faster ect. It only took a 1/4mile to make them eat thier words!

I don't want to modify my CS/CJ and won't put down anyone who does. All I sugest is, keep your original parts handy cause when you get older you may want it original. I think CS clones are cool as long as they are built in good taste, and you tell people what they are.

John

somethingspecial

No Car is to far gone to concours restore!!!!!

Attachments

• storage 001003.jpg
    storage 001003.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 25
  • GTCS in pasture002.jpg
    GTCS in pasture002.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Right Side View GTCS.JPG
    Right Side View GTCS.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 23

LUVMYCS

I recently had a friend in the registry just find out that their GT/CS that they'd had for years is really a modified '67 coupe. It's sad, because it's like the car had suddenly lost it's soul.

Paul N.

This has me a little worried Paul, did your friend have a Marti Report? I'm assuming he did, but you know what they say about assuming. So what's the deal? How did he finally find out? Was the vin # correct for a CS? Did everything look original on the surface?

I'm always worried that some day I will find out my car isn't original, it's sort of a re-accuring nightmare. Maybe I should get some help!:icon_pani

Midnight Special

This has me a little worried Paul, did your friend have a Marti Report? I'm assuming he did, but you know what they say about assuming. So what's the deal? How did he finally find out? Was the vin # correct for a CS? Did everything look original on the surface?

I'm always worried that some day I will find out my car isn't original, it's sort of a re-accuring nightmare. Maybe I should get some help!:icon_pani

...Maybe you should get a Marti report?
;-))