• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Out of the woodwork...

Wolfsburg

Hello folks!

I have been a lurker on these forums, off and on, for years. I recently was able to finally purchase a GT/CS from a family friend who had owned it for 15-20 years and was the 3rd owner, as far as I know. I had wanted this car for a long time. It has been sitting in a rather large garage, tucked away in a corner amid a number of other cars, for quite some time but I hope to get it drivable, for the time being. Although it will eventually need a total restoration, I am very happy to get it. As far as I can tell the car is very solid and rust free, aside from a rust hole in the driver's side door.

I don't have any good pics yet but here's the Marti report and a phone pic:

Marti0001.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

rvrtrash

Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase. It looks like a nice driver once you get it running.

Steve

Ruppstang

Welcome It is a nicely optioned car. Looking forward to more pics. Marty

hookedtrout

Looks like a great car, great color and your persistence finally paid off.

Welcome to our little group.

franklinair

I covet your car!! Looks like Great potential, nicely optioned.
Where are you located? Lots of support & help on this site. Congrats, and welcome.

Neil

admin

Staff member
Administrator

classicsguy

Love Acapulco Blue specially if it comes with a vinyl roof for a nice contrast! Well optioned car too. Nice project!!

OP
OP
W

Wolfsburg

Thanks for the kind comments gentlemen, and the warm welcome! I created a garage and posted my Marti report in the appropriate thread.

I'm normally not crazy about vinyl tops but I do think the Parchment top complements the Acapulco Blue nicely. I also like the Parchment interior. I don't believe I've seen many vintage Mustangs in person with a Parchment interior before this one. It definitely lightens up the interior quite a bit.

The car does have argent styled wheels, seatbelts and rocker panel moldings, which aren't on the Marti report. Was it common for dealers to add such options or were these more likely added by a previous owner?

franklinair

Seatbelts, rocker trims were standard, not specified on Marti-unless initial buyer specified Deluxe seatbelts (they have chrome trim edges).

Neil

OP
OP
W

Wolfsburg

Oh, okay. I didn't realize (shoulder?) belts were standard in '68. I noted the rocker trim molding because it was listed as an option when filling out my "garage" information.

somethingspecial

Welcome.

Great car. I added your Marti to the registry and as soon as Jon gets the online registry up and running, we'll add it there as well. Mike

robert campbell

A kinda match to one of the cars on the debut stage. Love the white on blue!! What a great start to a lifetime love!

Rob

OP
OP
W

Wolfsburg

Thanks! How was the debut stage car different? I don't have the pedestals but some original Lucas lights went with the deal so I'll need to replace the current aftermarket ones at some point and replace the incorrect '67 grill with a CS grill or a reproduction thereof (if there is one).

Mosesatm

One of the little quirks about '68 GT/CSs is that they came with modified '67 grilles so if it's in good condition there is no reason to replace it. You may just need to remove the vertical supports if it still has them.

Last edited:

robert campbell

I have some repop grill brackets if you want them for free. They are not 100 percent correct, but nearly 98 percent. You can retro fit them into your grill. You pay the shipping.

also have a set of original steel buckets that bolt to the taillight panel for the GT/CS and HCS taillight package. Free to a deserving owner trying to restore their car!

Rob

hicountrybob

I have some repop grill brackets if you want them for free. They are not 100 percent correct, but nearly 98 percent. You can retro fit them into your grill. You pay the shipping.

also have a set of original steel buckets that bolt to the taillight panel for the GT/CS and HCS taillight package. Free to a deserving owner trying to restore their car!

Rob

Rob, as you know, I bought Paul N.s 390 Cal sp, minis the proper Lucas lamps (black backs) and only 2 of the steel buckets are in place. I don't want a freebe but willing to buy your set. Please get back to me. Thanks, Bob Teets here!

robert campbell

Bob,
I do not have Lucas stuff. I do have the steel brackets that go in the grill to mount the Marchals to. Is that what you want? They are so free to you trust me!!

Rob

hicountrybob

Bob,
I do not have Lucas stuff. I do have the steel brackets that go in the grill to mount the Marchals to. Is that what you want? They are so free to you trust me!!

Rob

Rob, I NEED the steel buckets (the 4 small and 2 large) that screw to the taillight panel that protect the rear of the tail lamps. Do you still have your extras? I already bought new Lucas lamps and Mike Jewell fitted me with one of his grills to my wide front brackets, so I'm good there. Bob here.

OP
OP
W

Wolfsburg

Thanks for the advice and kind offers! I hope to get the car home this weekend and I can then better ascertain what I might need.