• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Taillight Covers (Inside Trunk)

P

PNewitt

Yep! That's it! Thanks SO much for taking and posting those photos.

I'm wondering--the one you bought wasn't a spiral type? Is that "concours"? Did whomever sell it to you claim that? I'm just curious.

Your GT/CS is awesome! I notice ten-spokes, too. Cool! They always look great with 15" wheels and tires.

thanks again, Steve!

-Paul N.

P

PNewitt

mmarsalone said:
Paul,

How's this one. It's from my 67'. It's an all original car and I would assume it would be close to the what would have come in the 68'. Also, this one was built in Metuchen if that matters.

Thank you for taking and posting that photo of your '67, too. I can't see any variation of that design for the trunk spring protector from '67 to '68, and by factory, either.

Paul N.

Perkchiro

PNewitt said:
Yep! That's it! Thanks SO much for taking and posting those photos.

I'm wondering--the one you bought wasn't a spiral type? Is that "concours"? Did whomever sell it to you claim that? I'm just curious.

Your GT/CS is awesome! I notice ten-spokes, too. Cool! They always look great with 15" wheels and tires.

thanks again, Steve!

-Paul N.

Good question Paul: I can only assume that the spiral type is original. The supplier just listed the part and I ordered it with the thought that it would be the same. They didn't claim it to be concours and I have learned that you can't always depend on a supplier to give you an original looking part. Since my original was covered with paint and flaking, I put it aside and just used the new one. I am going to clean up the original and put it back in place. Thanks for the kuddo's on my car. As many other's here, I have worked every spare minute on the car for the last two years. I've literally had my hands on every nut and bolt and part on the car. Rebuilt the engine too. I can say that its been a great experience and one of my life goals to rebuild a CS. Just have a few details left to make it complete. Thanks again to you for providing vital info on the car and thanks too to many on this board who have been supportive with help and information. I have referred to your resource materials often and I don't think I could have approached a successful restoration without that information. I will post additional pics in my gallery when I'm finished, hopefully within the next few weeks.

Steve in Missouri

J_Speegle

A few comments as I pass through ;)

Original covers would have had a bluer tint similar to the Shelby ones

The luggage protector strip would have been held in place with brush on yellow colored adhesive (often you can see the extra adhesive past the strip

The original mat would be plaid (NJ and Dearborn typically recieved the speckled) with a burtex (brown mat stuff) and stiched. Have and original one around here somewhere that came out of a yard years ago.

Jeff

Last edited:

Jayscal

This turned out to be a great informative thread on trunk restoration.
Thank you all!!!

joedls

Perkchiro said:
That's Okay Joe, there's no accounting for bad taste!:wink:

I know what you mean.

Attachments

• P1010112(2).JPG
    P1010112(2).JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 33

CalGal68

Thank you EVERYONE for some extremely valuable information! I'm trying to add stock pieces to a newly acquired CS without the benefit of a Registry. I knew I needed tail light covers but hadn't found them in any of the catalogs I've looked at. Not only did I find where to buy them but what they should look like and and how to install them. Again, MANY THANKS!!

gtcs1

Taillight cover Blue tint

J_Speegle said:
A few comments as I pass through ;)

Original covers would have had a bluer tint similar to the Shelby ones

The luggage protector strip would have been held in place with brush on yellow colored adhesive (often you can see the extra adhesive past the strip

The original mat would be plaid (NJ and Dearborn typically recieved the speckled) with a burtex (brown mat stuff) and stiched. Have and original one around here somewhere that came out of a yard years ago.

Jeff

I'm looking to replace my original ones which are bent and damaged.

When I look in the NPD catalog, their Fillerboard Shelby Taillight (no 13434-50A) appear to be more of a grey tint, mine are really a light blue tint. Any ideas where to get them the right color?

Thanks

P

PNewitt

Perkchiro said:
As many other's here, I have worked every spare minute on the car for the last two years. I've literally had my hands on every nut and bolt and part on the car. Rebuilt the engine too. I can say that its been a great experience and one of my life goals to rebuild a CS. Just have a few details left to make it complete.

Steve in Missouri

Steve--this is the pinnicle of the GT/CS experience. I honor your hard work, and persistence. This is what it's all about. Many others are beginning, or half-way, or finishing up their car, too. There is so much pride in restorarion, and the "learning curve" along the way.

Thanks for what you do--for the rest of us to see. Your car is fantastic!

(red is "OK", but I like the darker version myself! --LOL!. (ho-boy! we're gonna get into that fav color-of-my-car thang again? Look out! -LOL! )

Paul N.

GTCSMustang

Mike (Previously Monkey Golf)

Did you sell your speckeled mat. I'd be interested.

Scott

GTCSMustang

Thought I’d add some trunk information.

The pinch seam luggage protectors came in either black or gray. I’ve seen both, but they seem to be predominately gray on 1968 Mustangs. As someone mentioned, they are held in place with yellowish glue. Some are notched and some are not.

The trunk lid springs either had an anti-rattle clip or the spiral rubber piece. I’ve never seen an original car without one or the other. I’ve also never seen a car with both. The anti-rattle clip is either painted red oxide or body color. The spiral rubber piece is sometimes painted body color (I know what you’re thinking, they must have gotten painted when cars were repainted. But I have an original paint San Jose convertible that has never had any paint-work done, and it has the spiral rubber piece painted). The spiral rubber piece (if original) has 3-stripes molded into the rubber.

Somewhere on the GT/CS website there is a long thread on trunk mats. I’ve seen the speckled type mat and a matted material type which looks similar to the speckled mat, but un-painted/speckled. I know there are cars with the plaid mats too, I just have never seen one. My HCS has a speckled mat.

The tabs that hold the wiring harness should have the rubber boots on them, as someone mentioned. And as someone mentioned, they are only for holding the wiring harness, not the cardboard protectors. The cardboard protectors are notched to go around them.

There are gray protectors that go on the rear quarter panel protector studs on the driver’s side only (I think). The spare tire protects the other side.

I have seen 3-styles of original jacks and 4-styles of jack handles. I think all variants were used, just depended on what the factory had at the time.

Some cars seem to have sound deadener on the gas tanks and some do not. All coupes have the sound deadener behind the back seat.

The best way to bend the trunk protectors is to lay them over something of approximately the right radius and spray them with water and let it dry. They will then be bent enough that they can be installed. I use a 500-lb WWII practice bomb and large rubber bands to hold the protectors in place while they are drying. You will almost always crease them if they are not prebent. They are only painted on one side and are stamped “FP” in the corners.

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00396.JPG
    DSC00396.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00395.JPG
    DSC00395.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00394.JPG
    DSC00394.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00393.JPG
    DSC00393.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00392.JPG
    DSC00392.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00390.JPG
    DSC00390.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00389.JPG
    DSC00389.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00388.JPG
    DSC00388.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 28

GTCSMustang

Some more pictures.

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00397.JPG
    DSC00397.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00398.JPG
    DSC00398.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 46

GTCSMustang

More.

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00399.JPG
    DSC00399.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00400.JPG
    DSC00400.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00402.JPG
    DSC00402.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 36

John McGilvary

I am the origional owner of my CS/CJ. The trunk did not come with plaid carpet, it was like the speckled they sell now, but seemed to be darker. The spring clip is painted the same color as the body (I know the car has never been painted since it was new). John