• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Taillight Covers (Inside Trunk)

gtcs1

GTCSMustang said:
More.

Scott

Thanks so much for all this info Scott. I have an all-original GT/CS.

On my car, the lid springs have the anti-rattle clip painted body color.

The tabs for wiring harness don't have any of the rubber boots on mine. Was it for sure on all cars, or they could have all been removed on my car ?

If it's for sure they came on all cars, can you tell me their length dimension from the rounded edge tip to the upper end (I guess they are about .75" to 1.00" long). I have a source that will be able to make a set in black.

The mat question; mine is like yours, matted material type which looks similar to the speckled material. This gets dirty much easier than a vinyl material. I need to clean it up and remove wrinkles (using iron)? What about bringing it to dry-cleaner business (I'm really concerned about possibility to destroy it with cleaning fluid)? Anyone has experience on that?

Last edited:

mmarsalone

John McGilvary said:
I am the origional owner of my CS/CJ. The trunk did not come with plaid carpet, it was like the speckled they sell now, but seemed to be darker. John

Okay, so this is no clearer than it was two years ago. Plaid or speckled? John, an original owner says speckled. Scott, who has original cars, says speckled. But Jeff and others say plaid. Could there have been a change over for late production cars? If so, what would you consider a late production CS?

Thanks,
Mike

gtcs1

mmarsalone said:
Okay, so this is no clearer than it was two years ago. Plaid or speckled? John, an original owner says speckled. Scott, who has original cars, says speckled. But Jeff and others say plaid. Could there have been a change over for late production cars? If so, what would you consider a late production CS?

Thanks,
Mike

Mine is like Scott. This is an all-original car. This material is not vinyl but more like a matted cloth, as you can see in Scott's photos, as opposed to Mike's (MMARSALONE) car looking as vinyl sheet, unless I misinterpret his pictures.
Pierre

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 38

GTCSMustang

I have a friend that has a very early 1968 fastback Mustang (1967 build date) that has a plaid mat. I've seen that one and one in a 1968 Shelby GT-500 (don't know the build date). Most of my cars have been San Jose cars because I live in California or Metuchen cars (Shelbys). They have all had speckled mats or the matted material mats. I can tell you that the mat (and whole trunk for that matter) in gtcs1's car is all original because I used to own it and there is not way that the guy I bought it from ever changed it.

Here's my information on trunk mats.

1968 Shelby GT500KR, 7,000-original miles - Speckled (100% sure it's original)
1968 Shelby GT500KR, 17,000-original miles - Speckled (100% sure it's original)
1968 Shelby GT500KR, 11,000-original miles - Speckled (100% sure it's original)
1968 Shelby GT500, 68,000-original miles - Speckled (100% sure it's original)
1968 GT/CS, White - Speckled (100% sure it's original)
1968 HCS, Red - Speckled (100% sure it's original)
1968 GT/CS, Green - Matted Material (100% sure it's original)
1968 Mustang, Blue - Matted Material (100% sure it's original)
1968 GT/CS, Red - Matted Material (pretty sure it's original)
1968 Mustang, Black - Matted Material (100% sure it's original)

I've owned all of these cars and all were original paint and unrestored (or at least they were at the time I had them).

No doubt in my mind that all three types of mats were used at some point during the 1968 production year. Any of the three type are correct in my mind, but I've seen a lot more speckled ones than any other type.

Hey John M. What color is your battery heat shield? Gray or Black?

Scott

P

PNewitt

Hi Scott,

There is no doubt in my mind that there are three types of trunk mats, not only in the GT/CS, but other Mustangs (and Cougars, Fairlanes, Torinos, etc.)

It would be an interesting survey to ask everyone--looking for a trend in trunk type. However, it's one of those "parts" that is easily changed over the years, so it would be hard to trace accurately. What would be good to get is the factory purchase order to the trunk mat OEM for 1968.

During factory assembly, the suppliers either changed things, or the type or color(s) were changed "midstream". If the plaid type were running low, they'd make a call to New Jersey, or Dearborn, and have some of the speckled sent....OR (!) the dealer might have changed the type.

It's one of those question marks about production details that we just don't know, and after 39 years, and several owners, it's almost impossible to trace.

What I suggest to Mustang Rules committees, is to allow a degree of acceptibility for original owners, or those who really know the past of a certain car--about things like this, and not "knock" them. This liberal thinking would preserve those historical details on the car--instead of them being compromised in the name of getting points.

Paul N.

GTCSMustang

Bought an original plaid style trunk mat the other day. It's out of a 1968 Metuchen NJ Shelby. When I get it I'll get out all the trunk mats and take some pictures for posting.

Scott

390cs68rcode

GTCSMustang said:
Bought an original plaid style trunk mat the other day. It's out of a 1968 Metuchen NJ Shelby. When I get it I'll get out all the trunk mats and take some pictures for posting.

Scott

tell the truth, I bet you bought a WHOLE car just to get the trunk mat. :wink:

J_Speegle

PNewitt said:
During factory assembly, the suppliers either changed things, or the type or color(s) were changed "midstream". If the plaid type were running low, they'd make a call to New Jersey, or Dearborn, and have some of the speckled sent....OR (!) the dealer might have changed the type.

According to one of the people that worked and rane one of the supply sections at San Jose the process was to pull the needed parts from the warehouses that supplied the dealers ("replacement" parts) to fill the need till additional parts arrived from the suppliers. Often San Jose suppliers were the same ones they used to provide the over the counter stuff and different from Dearborn and NJ.

Think we need to be real careful of including any mats used at any other plant. This only brings into play other verisons that may have never been installed in SJ - one example would be the black woven stuff used on some 68 Shelbys.

Also any samples taken/applied from standard production would be just as valid as long as the car were assemblied during the same months. Makes for a pretty narrow range ;)

PNewitt said:
What I suggest to Mustang Rules committees, is to allow a degree of acceptibility for original owners, or those who really know the past of a certain car--about things like this, and not "knock" them. This liberal thinking would preserve those historical details on the car--instead of them being compromised in the name of getting points. Paul N.

Always a two edged sword. We can preserve the historical details or lead restorers in the wrong direction. I suggest this is a great project this group. I doubt the types (if different ones were used) was random so as someone puts together a spreadsheet VINs and builddates are a must. If possible the dates from the mats should be included also. Might eliminate a few mistakes

Jeff S

J_Speegle

GTCSMustang said:
Hey John M. What color is your battery heat shield? Gray or Black?

Scott

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone seen a grey on a SJ car? Seen pleantly back east but none here ... yet ;)

GTCSMustang

Jeff,

I have seen four grey mats in San Jose cars. I bought three of them from original owners. I asked them specifically about whether they had ever had the mats replaced, and all three said "no".

Scott

P

PNewitt

As always, I appreciate Jeff's comments on these sorts of things. It puts it into a judging perspective.

A came across a Boss 302 survey in a past issue of the SAAC "Shelby American", and I'll use it as inspiration for the questions that I'll ask when I do the mass mailing--soon. I'll include the type of trunk mat. My 1986-89 Survey asked the same question, and I'll revisit it again to see.

For some items, in the context of judged shows, it might be a good idea to "go along" with items that easily changed out, etc., to not lose points.

Not every judge knows every little production change for every Mustang. However, we can provide info to folks like Jeff, to back up what was in cars originally--to have some influence.

Good topic!

Paul N.

J_Speegle

GTCSMustang said:
Jeff,

I have seen four grey mats in San Jose cars. I bought three of them from original owners. I asked them specifically about whether they had ever had the mats replaced, and all three said "no".

Scott

Scott by "grey" are you referring to a speackled or some other version?

As I mentioned before findings will need to be matched with time periods. This really helps define details for us. We have done this with 66 SJ red coupe headliners and Jan 65 SJ undercarriage colors also with much success. In both cases finding a group of cars with all the same difference (from general production practices of the time) helped define the group. No one want to change a standard based on random information or samples unless there are lots of data. ;)

J_Speegle

PNewitt said:
For some items, in the context of judged shows, it might be a good idea to "go along" with items that easily changed out, etc., to not lose points
Paul N.

Always the best idea as we work to align the rules (if possible) with our beliefs or our beliefs get altered to the truth ;)

Took a few years to change the upper front shock mounts but it eventually happened.

Always will to champion San Jose differences if we can collect the information I will be comfortable in presenting. Lets just make sure our suggestions are valid and correct.

GTCSMustang

Jeff,

I'm not suggesting that anyone change anything based on any information provided by me, I was just providing information that I thought was relevant to the thread. Every car I have is original paint, unrestored. Many of them have origianal tires, exhaust, belts and hoses. They (in my mind) are also a good source of information on trunk mats. I'm not trying to force my view of trunk mats on anyone nor am I suggesting that any judging manual be changed nor am I trying to convince any judge of anything. I'm all for collecting detailed information on whatever the subject is.

Scott

Mustanglvr

I don`t even have a trunk mat in my GT/CS. Anybody got one they don`t need? It would`nt have to be perfect.

J_Speegle

GTCSMustang said:
Jeff,

I'm not suggesting that anyone change anything based on any information provided by me, I was just providing information that I thought was relevant to the thread. ......... I'm not trying to force my view of trunk mats on anyone nor am I suggesting that any judging manual be changed nor am I trying to convince any judge of anything. I'm all for collecting detailed information on whatever the subject is.

Scott

Scott unfortunately not everything we print comes out the way we planned. I meant nothing by the post. The end result of any findings would naturally be an adjustment (if needed) of the rules

Thanks .... Jeff

hicountrybob

I am the origional owner of my CS/CJ. The trunk did not come with plaid carpet, it was like the speckled they sell now, but seemed to be darker. The spring clip is painted the same color as the body (I know the car has never been painted since it was new). John

IE. SPRING CLIP, has been on ALL (some 12-14)of the HCS cars that I've owned plus the March dated Cal Sp that I'm doing now and none have had the spiral rubber on them, so I'm not using the spirals. BUT, I have owned three '67 convs. which did have the spirals. FYO and comments??? Bob here.

hicountrybob

IE. SPRING CLIP, has been on ALL (some 12-14)of the HCS cars that I've owned plus the March dated Cal Sp that I'm doing now and none have had the spiral rubber on them, so I'm not using the spirals. BUT, I have owned three '67 convs. which did have the spirals. FYO and comments??? Bob here.

Scott Fuller, What does your newly purchased 428 HCS have????? Bob here.