• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Taillight Covers (Inside Trunk)

Jayscal

Mike,

Thanks for offering to get a picture, and sure I can wait. This is one of the unusual parts that is specific to our cars. On this site its seems most of the active members cars are kept stock, so I figured a picture would be a easy request, not so. By sharing a pic we can get a clearer idea of installation and add a unusual and usually missing part to our tail lights at a reasonable price. This will also be an aid to future California Special owners.

Best regards,
Jay

mmarsalone

Jay,

Here are a few I took this evening. Let me know if you need anything else.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0021 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0021 (Small).JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0023 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0023 (Small).JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0024 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0024 (Small).JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 64

Jayscal

Thanks Mike, your the best. Those really make the trunk area look clean. I definately need to get a set.

P

PNewitt

Yes, the cardboard pieces look great! Ford used them to protect the luggage from the exposed metal, screws, wiring, etc.

Two quick additions, since you are going for a detailed trunk:

1. the metal tabs at the top, that hold the cardboard in place; have little rubber sleeves on them. They are on all six tabs. If you look, you might find one or more remaining on there today!

2. There is also a plastic strip that is used on the driver side (as I remember), to cover the wheelhousing seam metal, as to not scar up luggage, too.

and..the plastic wrap on the lower trunk hinge spring (black I believe) is also there to protect the luggage.

Outside of that--what a great look for the trunk! Excellent!

Thanks, Paul N.

hicountrybob

Actually, Paul, the metal tabs hold the taillight harness in place only and the covers are notched out to allow this. SO the covers are held in place by the folded-in lip of the taillight panel. There is no way those panels will fit if one tries to use the tabs

P

PNewitt

Yes, you're right. That makes sense, of course. Not that it's "right", but I've seen several CSs with two tabs holding on the cardboard, and one tab holding up the harness. But, like a lot of things on these cars, time tends to change things here and there. Getting back to the original way is what we want.

Thanks for pointing that out. One more correction for the book.

Paul.

hcsstang

What about the trunk mat ,a judge told me that the corners are supposed to be stitched? I got some points at the Johnson City show. I had every thing wrong at that show.

390cs68rcode

hcsstang said:
What about the trunk mat ,a judge told me that the corners are supposed to be stitched? I got some points at the Johnson City show. I had every thing wrong at that show.

GT_CS Mustang (Scott) is the guy to ask on this one. He has performed some in depth studies on original mats. I think he actually bought a whole car to get the original trunk mat from it. :grin:

mmarsalone

390cs68rcode said:
GT_CS Mustang (Scott) is the guy to ask on this one. He has performed some in depth studies on original mats. I think he actually bought a whole car to get the original trunk mat from it. :grin:
Jason,

I remember posts from Scott when I just joined the board and he had said that his cars had the speckled matts. That's why I put in the speckled one. Do you remember what was in your maroon CS?

Thanks,
Mike

P

PNewitt

My research shows that most (over 90%) had the plaid mat.

MCA (IMO) likes to base their rules on the New Jersey and Dearborn cars, which had the speckle mats. San Jose cars had plaid, unless the supplier sent a batch of the speckle type back then.

Some think that speckle means the plaid type turned over, or a grayish texture.

Maybe Jeff Speegle can help out here.

Paul N.

Perkchiro

PNewitt said:
Yes, the cardboard pieces look great! Ford used them to protect the luggage from the exposed metal, screws, wiring, etc.

Two quick additions, since you are going for a detailed trunk:

1. the metal tabs at the top, that hold the cardboard in place; have little rubber sleeves on them. They are on all six tabs. If you look, you might find one or more remaining on there today!

2. There is also a plastic strip that is used on the driver side (as I remember), to cover the wheelhousing seam metal, as to not scar up luggage, too.

and..the plastic wrap on the lower trunk hinge spring (black I believe) is also there to protect the luggage.

Outside of that--what a great look for the trunk! Excellent!

Thanks, Paul N.

Paul: I read somewhere that the black rubber wrap on the lower hinge spring was to keep the two spring bars from rattling upon one another. Was that the purpose or was it really to keep luggage unscarred? Perhaps both?

Steve in Missouri

390cs68rcode

mmarsalone said:
Jason,

I remember posts from Scott when I just joined the board and he had said that his cars had the speckled matts. That's why I put in the speckled one. Do you remember what was in your maroon CS?

Thanks,
Mike

I bought my maroon CS from Scott and it had a plaid mat. I think he told me it was the one that came with the car when he bought it. I am fairly sure it was the black rubber backed one.

mmarsalone

390cs68rcode said:
I bought my maroon CS from Scott and it had a plaid mat. I think he told me it was the one that came with the car when he bought it. I am fairly sure it was the black rubber backed one.

Well, looks like I'll be replacing that mat. I don't know how I got that backwards. Come to think of it, I bought the plaid first and then changed to the speckled. I think the plaid replaced the rotting one in my 67'.

Anyone want to buy a speckled mat? LOL

P

PNewitt

Perkchiro said:
Paul: I read somewhere that the black rubber wrap on the lower hinge spring was to keep the two spring bars from rattling upon one another. Was that the purpose or was it really to keep luggage unscarred? Perhaps both?

Steve in Missouri

Hi Steve,

Good point, and you're right--It probably began as an anti-rattle device, and also ended up as a protector for luggage. Today, most of these are gone, I wonder--does anyone make these today? What about using wire wrap material as a replacement? I don't suppose anyone out there happens to have a photo of an original one on their car?

thanks--Paul.

Perkchiro

Paul: My original one was spiral shaped. I replaced it with a repop that was just a solid piece with a logitutinal split to wrap the spring. The original was painted by a prior owner when the car was painted. I might take on the project of removing the paint and putting it back on the car since it's an original piece. I'll take a pic of it and post it this week end.

PS: Wire wrap would serve the purpose I suppose, but the rubber piece would look better IMHO.

Steve in Missouri

P

PNewitt

Yep, it is a long piece. I was confused, since I've seen people use the wrap type, which isn't original.

I'd sure appreciate a photo--if it isn't too much trouble. I'm sure a lot of other folks would like to see what was originally used.

Thanks again!

Paul.

mmarsalone

PNewitt said:
Yep, it is a long piece. I was confused, since I've seen people use the wrap type, which isn't original.

I'd sure appreciate a photo--if it isn't too much trouble. I'm sure a lot of other folks would like to see what was originally used.

Thanks again!

Paul.
Paul,

How's this one. It's from my 67'. It's an all original car and I would assume it would be close to the what would have come in the 68'. Also, this one was built in Metuchen if that matters.

Attachments

• DSCN0029 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0029 (Medium).JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 52

Perkchiro

Here's my original (out of the car) and another pic in the trunk with the repop. Note the spiral form of the original and the solid one on the spring. Here's a pic of my car too. Almost finished!

Steve in Missouri

Attachments

• Trunk Hinge Spring Wrap 2.JPG
    Trunk Hinge Spring Wrap 2.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Trunk Spring Hinge Wrap.JPG
    Trunk Spring Hinge Wrap.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Clean Rear View.JPG
    Clean Rear View.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 53